Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HDTV Question(s)...

Wise people of OTF...

The Fartle is thinking of buying a 32" 720p TV to watch his favourite movies on.

I have a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player but have been told that if I buy an HDTV, my regular DVDs will look crap unless I buy an upscaling DVD player. On the other hand, people tell me that these new HDTV things have upscalers built in and that I won't need to bother with buying a new player. I currently use my player with a 27" Sharp CRT with an S-Video connection.

Do I really need to buy an upscaling DVD player? Or can I just use my existing progressive scan player and the S-Video cable...

HDTV Question(s)...

720p? Best to get a 1080p, given that the price differential these days is slim to neglible. Plus, as a cost saving tip, subscribe to the Richer Sounds newsletter (I think they call it VIP Club, or summat) for a further 10% discount.

Incidentally, why buy an HDTV and use S-Video? Surely you'd want to be using HDMI.......

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Toby Gymshorts wrote:
      720p? Best to get a 1080p, given that the price differential these days is slim to neglible. Plus, as a cost saving tip, subscribe to the Richer Sounds newsletter (I think they call it VIP Club, or summat) for a further 10% discount.

Incidentally, why buy an HDTV and use S-Video? Surely you'd want to be using HDMI.......
      The thing is, I don't want to shell out for another DVD player. Upscaling DVD players have HDMI ports, my Toshiba progressive scan doesn't. Every expert going says that you need an upscaling DVD player to watch regular DVDs on an 720p/1080p TV. Every expert going also says that you don't need an upscaling DVD player if your player is progressive scan and the TVs on the market have upscaling technology built into them anyway...

So I'm a little confused.

I'm working within a budget here so 1080p is out of the question.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Re budget; if you're going to all the expense of HD in the first place, why scrimp and get 720? I mean, that's like plumping for a Mercedes and then only getting the 4-cylinder.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

I still refuse to buy an HDTV until the picture displays a normal signal at least as good as my CRT. I'm watching one now in my hotel room--the picture's shite.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

I agree with Stumpy. Not buying one until everything is HD.

I can follow plots and see the ball perfectly fine in SD, so no reason to upgrade.

Fuck seeing 'every bead of sweat'...

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Yeah it's a false economy. Don't do it. This is my excuse. I'm saving for a 50" top of the range plasma tv. By the time I can afford one, 2K & 4K will have come and gone and we'll be watching tv on the insides of our eyelids through chips in our frontal lobes.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

One good option would be to upgrade your tube, as a lot of people who are upgrading with flat-screen HDTVs are dumping their perfectly good big tube TVs on craigslist or your favorite local classified site.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Hmmm...

Waiting seems to be the better option then? I suppose that would make sense sense, I would probably be able to afford a 1080p by then (and probably a Blu-Ray player).

I was reading that DVDs are best viewed on 480p/480i anyway because thats what they were designed for and I do get a great picture using an S-Video connection to my CRT.

I only use my telly to play games and watch DVDs anyway. Perhaps I've become a victim of consumerism by wanting an HDTV for Xmas. I mean, if I don't buy one, I'll still be able to to watch DVDs and play games in comfort...

I'll probably buy Windows 7 for Chrimbo instead...

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Do you have a PS3 or Xbox 360? Both of those upscale DVDs.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

We got a very nice 32" LG one for only €350. It's very nice indeed. Lyra, don't buy a plasma telly, they're incredibly bad for the environment. LCD is where it's at.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

The Fartle is thinking of buying a 32" 720p TV to watch his favourite movies on.
                        Why are you bothering with a portable telly?

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                          Do you have a PS3 or Xbox 360? Both of those upscale DVDs.
                          My plan was to buy the TV with view to getting the PS3...I heard that the PS3 Blu-Ray player is one of the best around. Any truth in this?

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Lyra, don't buy a plasma telly, they're incredibly bad for the environment. LCD is where it's at.
                            I was, er, JOKING. I couldn't afford a copy of TV Quick never mind a fucking telly. My TV connoisseur friend reckons LCDs are shite for watching, but I haven't asked him about the environment yet.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

Fartle, the PS3 was easily the best value Blu-Ray player (even if you never used its other functions) when it was first launched. It's been suprassed now as a pure disc player, from what I've heard, though it's still perfectly respectable (it's moderately well futureproofed by virtue of being able to be upgraded to comply with revisions to the format which add more functionality). If you plan to use any of the other features - ie games playing, media streaming - then you won't be going wrong with a PS3.

Comment

HDTV Question(s)...

I'll most likely buy the new PS3 slim (now that the price has come down) when I get the new telly and will probably use it for Blu-Ray until the price of Blu-Ray players come down.

Another question I have, is it ok to plug a UPS into a voltage regulator/line conditioner? Where I live there are a lot of power issues and the UPS really doesn't compensate for interference like a conditioner would.

I was thinking of plugging in a voltage regulator/conditioner into the mains socket and then plugging the UPS (and APC) into that.

Comment

Working...
                                X