Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a flag for "Great Britain and Ireland"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the British and Irish Lions Rugby team have a badge that depicts the 4 emblems of their respective RFUs (the rose, the thistle, the shamrock and the 3 feathers).

Is that just made up by the Rugby team though? Is there a proper recognised "British and Irish" flag for use in depicting, say, a joint British and Irish team playing a group of visiting French or Aussies at something?

There's nothing of the sort in the (extremely extensive) Flags of the World database, and I really don't see how there could ever be a "proper and recognised" one, given that Great Britain and Ireland is not a "proper and recognised" political entity.

I'm not even sure that there is such a thing as an "official" Lions flag, and if there was, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see its exact design change from tour to tour.

Comment

Strictly, the Union Flag already includes the Cross of St Patrick. But I can't see its use becoming universally popular among all the peoples of the islands. Shall we say.

Comment

(I'm taking bets now on how long till Munchkin posts something containing the phrase "butcher's apron".)

Comment

I think there must be a market for "merger" flags of neighbouring geographical areas, then, political entities or not.

For example Cornwall - white cross on a black background - and Devon - white cross with a tiny black border on a green background. You could put the two together just by making the "black" bit on the Devon flag much wider, kind of like a tricolor cross.

If the two ever needed to gang up on Dorset and Somerset.

Comment

You might as well have a "Germany and Denmark" flag.

Comment

There's a bunch of countries in the Balkans (Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia) who all seem very friendly. They're always voting for each other in Eurovision and such. I don't know why they don't just get together as one big country with a nice blue, white and red flag.

Comment

There's a bunch of countries in the Balkans (Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Serbia, Montenegro and Macedonia) who all seem very friendly.
                You're being ironic, right?

Comment

Don't worry, Sean, I got it.

Comment

Here you go.

Comment

This is Griffin's new flag for England

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                        (I'm taking bets now on how long till Munchkin posts something containing the phrase "butcher's apron".)
                        As you ask, why should two seperate countries share the same flag?

The worse thing about the current Brit. version is that it's one of illegal colonial occuaption. Which if it offends the 'Empire' types on here, fine.

Comment

Munchkin wrote:
                          Why on Earth... wrote:

The worse thing about the current Brit. version is that it's one of illegal colonial occuaption. Which if it offends the 'Empire' types on here, fine.
                          Munchkin, man, right, I admit I'm a bit pissed, here in America, but look. This is why people get exasperated with you. The "why should two countries share the same flag?" question has occured to, and been referred to ironically and obliquely by, just about everyone else on this thread. Why? Because it's fucking blindingly obvious.

Comment

Analogue Bubblebath wrote:
                            You might as well have a "Germany and Denmark" flag
                            Aye, or one for nationalists and unionists.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
                              Munchkin wrote:
                              Why? Because it's fucking blindingly obvious.
                              Hmm, of course such a condescending view should prevail, just because we were subjugated by the British/English for centuries.

Although many of them are pleasant as we are stuck out here on the edge of Europe, besides a common bond with other Celtic regions, why shouldn't we also share an empathy with Iceland?
                              Or the Dutch or Spanish?

Comment

I don't understand that. You realise I agree with you, right? And that nearly everyone else does?

Anyway, what I was going to say is that I guess there are closer analogies than Germany/Denmark, such as Sweden/Finland or Austria/Hungary, or perhaps even USA/Canada (no history of being the same country, but joint sports leagues, same international dialling code, all sorts). And there are no joint flags for those pairs of countries. It seems a really odd idea of Rogin's.

Comment

Oh, you were being ironic. Fair enough.

Though for Rogin's sake, suppose that attitude these comes out of certain sports teams like The Lions and some golf tournaments.

Comment

What about the Commonwealth of Independent States (basically a sporting entity for one olympics only) as an example of the kind of thing Rogin is asking about?

Wyatt, where are you in America?

Comment

There was an Austra-Hungary flag

Comment

A pedant notes:

that was a "civil ensign" used only on ships (like the red one used by the UK) and never used on land.

Comment

An important caveat, Wyatt. Most people assuredly don't agree with his "illegal occupation" fuckwittery. I know that you didn't say anything of the sort, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know the difference.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                                            What about the Commonwealth of Independent States (basically a sporting entity for one olympics only) as an example of the kind of thing Rogin is asking about?

Wyatt, where are you in America?
                                            The CIS is more than a one-time (well, two if you include Euro 92) sporting entity, it's a regional trade organisation similar to the EU was before 1992.

Comment

No its not. For one thing, EU members tend not to invade one another.

The CIS itself was a legal fiction created to get rid of Gorbachev and not much else. There is a separate Eurasian Economic Community that does some of those things, and there are some common military structures. But those really only involve Russia, Belarus, and the Stans. Armenia, Azerbaijan and Moldova (also nominally CIS members) have very much weaker links to the others. And of course Georgia is more or less out altogether.

But I take your point about Euro 92.

Comment

I think that Euro 92 may have been the only sporting occasion on which a team actually identified as the "CIS" took part.* The Olympics were contested by the "Unified Team" under the Olympic flag, and the individual countries participated in the World Ice Hockey Championships.

* They also used a different flag in doing so, one with only the three initials.

Comment

Toro: Count On It wrote:
                                                  Most people assuredly don't agree with his "illegal occupation" fuckwittery. I know that you didn't say anything of the sort, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't know the difference.
                                                  Of course, every person who's died in the struggle for Irish freedom would agree with such 'apologism'. Or a personal misconception?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X