Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbour's huge, planet killing new Rover

http://www.newscientist.com/article/...ly-greedy.html

it takes 0.84 hectares of land to keep a medium-sized dog fed. In contrast, running a 4.6-litre Toyota Land Cruiser, including the energy required to construct the thing and drive it 10,000 kilometres a year, requires 0.41 hectares.

Christ! Has he really got an English Mastiff, TJA? They're not 'medium-sized', by any stretch. Also - and I say this as a ridiculously soft and 'apologist' dog-lover - they're one of the few breeds I would never go to stroke unless I was 100% sure they were a soppy bastard that loved me. Most of the time I'd actively try to avoid them.

If it's still a puppy, try to make sure the dog gets accustomed to you right now, if you can. If it's not... just be careful, that's all.

Comment

err... actually he hasn't. It was an attempt at picture based humour to go with the thread title.

Thanks, you've been a wonderful audience!

Comment

I wonder what the 'Carbon Footprint' of the authors of that load of old bollocks is. Maybe we should just eat them and call it quits.

Comment

There's a point, though, isn't there? Particularly if an of the rather appalling anti-population types are keeping animals.

Comment

What's the point, exactly?

Comment

Stop wasting resources on breeding pets.

Comment

What do we do with the dogs?

Comment

We stop breeding them.

Comment

So everyone who has a dog should prevent it from mating, until they all sort of die out?

Comment

That would work for me, yeah.

Comment

Since the problem with these big dogs is the resources used in keeping them, maybe for a more immediate environmental impact we should have them all put down? Or turn them loose and let nature sort it out?

Comment

Oh, for a Ministry of Cats and Dogs, that would require people to apply for ownership, and to have their animals neutered, until every little (or big) cat and dog had a happy home. And strict controls on breeding.

I love cats and dogs, but there are far too many of them, especially in London, for their own good. Dog shelters currently are all full of Staffies, lovely little dogs given the right training, but acquired on a whim it seems.

Comment

That would pretty much work for me too, Bruno.

Or we could use them to feed people.

Comment

It's a fair point Bruno, people need to be aware of the ecological impact of their lifestyle. You can say the hell with global warming if you'd like, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Cats have a somewhat smaller though definitley not negligible impact. There are as well at least three other environmental problems associated with their ownership. They contribute to the depletion of ocean life with seafood going to feed them, their litter is very polluting to the natural water systems near urban areas and they are relentless killing machines with regards to the wild bird population.

Comment

And the wild mouse population. Which has to be a huge plus.

Comment

A canine genocide?

Hmm. OTF vegetarians to thread.

Comment

linus wrote:
                                    they are relentless killing machines with regards to the wild bird population.
                                    .. in my cat's dreams, maybe, but in actuality he's more of a relentless sleeping machine.

He does catch mice though, and in my building (11 flats converted from 2 Victorian mansions) my flat and my neighbour's (which my cat uses as a cut-through) were the only two not riddled with mice last year.

On the other points yes, although I think it's exaggerated (their food is mostly made from byproducts of meat consumption). There are far too many cats for their own good, let alone the environment. I wish neutering was compulsory.

Comment

Ok, Wyatt, just the dogs for now?

Comment

Can't we eat the Americans and keep the dogs?

Comment

I tend to prefer our cousins from over the pond, as it goes.

Comment

You can eat me any time.

Comment

Er, that was for MsD, but what the heck, you too Tonton.

Comment

Awww, shucks.

Comment

The Canadians too, for brunch with some maple syrup.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X