West Highland Way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

West Highland Way

Have just reached Bridge of Orchy in my quest to walk the West Highland Way. The walk has been okay so far but wet and windy weather made the walk yesterday even more difficult. Walking along the eastern bank of Loch Lomond from Inversnaird to Inverarnan is some of the most difficult walking I have ever done in Britain. The path literally just clings to the shore and there are a couple of hair-raising moments where you realise one slip and you could be in the Loch.

Anyone else walked that bit of Loch Lomond?

West Highland Way

I took the high road...

Comment

West Highland Way

I took the one less traveled by,
      and that has made all the difference.

Comment

West Highland Way

Not that any of you care but I have now reached Kinlochleven. The highlight so far has been walking from Bridge of Orchy to Kings House at the head of Glencoe. True isloation by Rannoch Moor.

Only 15 miles to go to Fort William!

Comment

West Highland Way

That trip from the bottom of Glencoe to Fort William is utterly tedious enough by car; god knows what it's like on foot...

Comment

West Highland Way

Good onya Paul. The WHW is one of the walks I'd like to do before I die.

Comment

West Highland Way

Glencoe to Fort William by foot is utterly delightful.

I took the path from Kinlochleven over the hills this morning and into the Glen Nevis. A 3 mile walk into Glen Nevis saw me finishing the day in the Nevis Sport bar with a couple of whisky's by 2pm. The West Highland Way is well worth doing and very enjoyable. The scenery is unsurpassed and the the only difficult bit is the bit along the eastern bank of Loch Lomond (see above).

I have been planning to do Ben Nevis tomorrow but seeing as it is due to bucket down with rain tomorrow with cloud cover down to 700ft (Ben Nevis is 4,40ft) I shall give it a miss and watch Fort William Vs Inverness Clachnuddin in the Highland League instead.

Comment

West Highland Way

Am very impressed Paul. It is so beautiful, Glencoe just makes me want to weep.

Comment

West Highland Way

Well done Paul. The West Highland Way is one of the most enjoyable weeks I have ever spent, feels like a long time ago now mind you. They have extended the Way up to Inverness now, I'm not suggesting you do that but a walk along the Caledonian Canal tomorrow is very enjoyable. Sorry the weather isn't great for you, as you might have noticed it can change every 30 minutes though.

Comment

West Highland Way

Would love to do the same walk Paul. I have great memories of the Highlands and will go back one day.

Walk in, train back.

Comment

West Highland Way

My thoughts exactly.... walk to Fort William and then train back with stops to visit the rellies.

Comment

West Highland Way

That's what I'm doing - getting the overnight sleeper back to London tomorrow night and then straight intoi work. The West Highland Way hasn't been extended - they've created a new trail called The Great Glen Way.

So, that's the West Highland Way and Hadrians Wall done. Next year I'm going to finish off the Pennine Way.

Comment

West Highland Way

Well done. I will have to do this also at some point, plenty time for that yet though.

I went to Durness in the summer and was amazed that it could even be in the same country as the horrible Fife slums I live in. Such incredible scenery, if you could guarantee good weather it would be perfect.

Comment

West Highland Way

If you do the West Highland Way outside of May - September you avoid the dreaded midge. You also might get to see some snow if you're really lucky.

I can't believe the difference between lowland and highland Scotland. It isn't just the English that don't understand things up here, it's the central belt as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X