All Gone Quiet Over Here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I'm sure this place is quieter at night than the previous OTF incarnation.

I'll liven things up no end by telling you that it's 4.30am and I'm eating cake and contemplating routes out of my night shift. So far there's none plausible.

Still, Come Wednesay i'll have cheered up a bit again.

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I'm still sulking over the shift from the old board. I've only registered to tell you I'm sulking.

The Aussie night-shifters are probably absent because they're too busy lapping up the Best. Politics. Scandal. Ever.

And here it is:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...7-2702,00.html

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Give the guy a break. It was obviously just an error of judgement.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

It would be interesding to see the combined posting totals since this incarnation went live compared to a similar period on the old board. I reckon the forum that's really suffered has been Music, which doesn't seem to generate half as many contributions as before.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

SSS and ganja are only putting in intermittent appearances, aren't they? It's been ages since we've had a thread about whether neapolitan ice cream should be eaten bit-by-bit, or stirred up all together, that after some casual quip ends up being a fourteen-page discussion of whether the Catholic Church was implicitly responsible for Guernica.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Parts of it were, of course. Important parts. But elements on the Left of the Church later became a thorn in Franco's side, so it's complicated. I'd say the ethical balance sheet is stacked heavily against the Church in a Spanish context, though.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

(Now, see, you can't say I'm not giving it a go.)

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

No-one ever would mix neopolitan ice cream together, surely.

Pink (stawberry) first, to get it out the way
                Cream (vanilla) nice but no chocolate
                Brown (chocolate) mmmmmmmm

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Parts of it were, of course. Important parts. But elements on the Left of the Church later became a thorn in Franco's side, so it's complicated. I'd say the ethical balance sheet is stacked heavily against the Church in a Spanish context, though.
                  How dare you, you fucking cunt etc.

Erm, actually, Wyatt got it right. What is with this new board? It's like we've all been sedated.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Mmmm...calming pastel pink...not thinking about rucks...

Around XMAS, posting was about 800-900 a day on the old board. Here, it seems to be about 400-500. That said, I have a feeling it was slowing down even before the old board closed.

Toro's not been around much lately, either. Apart from being a prolific poster himself, he tends to attract posts from others.

Anyways, I think the Catholic church might have indirectly been responsible for many, many nasty things in Spain; however, clerics and even parishoners in general were also the target of many massacres (that chapter in For Whom the Bell Tolls is rather good on this). And assigning it responsibility for Guernica in particular seems a little dubious to me - the Catholic church has never been into impersonal violence.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I think a very important difference is that the Republican government at no stage endorsed attacks on the clergy, whereas Franco's killings, in which clergymen were often directly complicit, were the official policy of an administration with which the Church was very pally.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

That's true, though that standard lets the Republican side off a little lightly. The fascists had a more or less unified administration, so if something bad happened on their side you can blame Franco. The Republicans, on the other hand, were frequently little better thn a mob, sometimes not even notionally controlled by the elected government. So a lot of nasty shit went on amongst Republicans and yet cannot be blamed on the "Republican Goverment".

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

The Republicans, on the other hand, were frequently little better thn a mob...
                          You know, I don't think people are going to let a statement like that ride. I think you need to expand on that quite a bit.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

To quote Baghera in the Jungle Book -

"Well, it's happened, it took a little longer than I thought. But it's happened."

Is the argument underway now?

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I've decided that if I were going to join a church it would be the Catholic church.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Their hymns are useless.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

QUOTE:
                                  The Republicans, on the other hand, were frequently little better thn a mob...

You know, I don't think people are going to let a statement like that ride. I think you need to expand on that quite a bit.
                                  Can I beg off until I'm back home with my Hugh Thomas in front of me? But all I'm saying, bascially, is that Republican forces included a lot more "irregulars" than the fascist side - often little more than local autonomists as well as, y'know, actual anarchists who tended to act on their own without waiting for approval from Madrid or Barcelona, or wherever.

Things obviously changed as the war went on and the communists gradually took over and tried to whip the Republicans into a more cohesive force. But it took some time. And, I believe, most of the serious anti-clerical stuff took place right at the beginning before that happened.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I'm out of action at the mo. I was a driving force behind the night-shift.

Even if no one else thinks so.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I used to think so. Time zones being what they are, I log on sometimes at 10:30 at night just to see what's up. Maybe I'll see Reed, FF, linus and Amor, but rarely any Brits (being, what, 2:30 or 3:30 eh-em there). But EIM would pop up now and then. I miss that.
                                      This board really is missing something. Can't put my finger on what it is, though. It's not as dynamic as the old one, if that makes sense.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I think you're underestimating the role of the Falange in the nasty shit going on on Franco's side. Before and after he took complete charge of the rightist forces, they did a lot of the 'mopping up' stuff and they had serious differences with Franco. Plenty of people have argued that he saw Jose Antonio as a threat, and allowed him to be executed by the Republicans when a prisoner swap would have been very possible.

There were disagreements on Franco's side, but not serious ones on who or how many red scum should be liquidated - the more the better was the general consensus. The only dissent I can think of, off the top of my head, would have been a poet or academic (I think with a name beginning with U), who stood up and slagged off Millan Astray in Salamanca Cathedral.

I don't have Thomas or Preston or Beevor though, so that might be bollocks. I'll try and check tomorrow.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I reckon a mob wouldn't have held out for long against a well drilled group of fascists. And I've read Hugh Thomas too, and nowhere does he imply that the Republican side were just a bunch of bloodthirsty animals going round laying waste to priests as you seem to imply. It's the fascists who have these organised mass executions with priests in attendance who did most of the cold-bloodletting as I recall it.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Anyone about then?

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

Nope. We're whooping it up at fancy dress balls. And so forth.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

I just finished a bowl of bolognese. I ate it with some bread. Now I think I shall eat my foul-smelling sleeping tablets and have some crazy dreams.

Man, I used to rock. Now I just suck.

Comment

All Gone Quiet Over Here

You don't suck and we miss you on the night shift.

Sweet dreams, if you haven't gone to bed already.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X