Embarrassing yourself in public

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back at school there was a girl I had a huge crush on.

One day the whole class was in a CDT (craft, design & technology, basically woodwork with an occasional computer) lesson. I was doing something manly with one of those big spinning sanders.

Aforementioned girl approaches me (somewhat disdainfully, if I remember righly, at having to speak to one of the lower species) to ask where she finds some tool or other. Wanting to play it cool, I didn't even turn to acknowledge her, just jabbed a thumb behind me in the direction of the tool cupboard.

And jabbed my thumb into her eye. Oops.

Comment

My wife works as a nurse at an old folk’s home. Occasionally visitors bring their dogs in to see the residents – it cheers them up and gives them something to talk about. Well, let’s face it, the pace of life there is more than a little slow and excitement is hard to come by.

On one occasion my wife entered the room of one female resident to find that she had two visitors – a middle-aged woman and an older man. Three if you count the small terrier that the woman had brought in, which was now determinedly sniffing around the man’s crotch. Its owner kept calling it away but after just a few moments it would return to what was clearly a more enticing prospect.

“Oh,” said my wife brightly, “perhaps he thinks that you have some treats in your pocket.”

“No,” replied the old chap with a mournful look. “I think he can smell my colostomy bag.”

Comment

A bit reminiscent of the utterly fantastic "L" story. A female barrister friend of mine was on her way to visit a client in prison. It was a sunny day, so on the tube she re-applied suncream. Unbeknownst to her, there was something of a mishap with the tube, much of which ended up on her lap.

She's an attractive girl, and caused quite a stir, she tells me, walking into a men's prison with what appeared to be a gigantic and fresh splurge of jism all down her skirt.

Comment

It's not exactly a good theme for a blog, since it's only presented as spectacle, without context or analysis, (but then again, how much analysis do you need of such a subject?) but You - Drunk As Hell has some photos of epic drunkenness which should serve as cautionary tales for the rest of us. The 3-frame 'banner' pic in particular is equal parts stunning and tragic.

This is the best 'drunkenness photo' I think I'd ever seen, although it is quite famous:

-

-

In case you're wondering, I haven't got any stories of massive self-embarrassment and I'm almost disappointed about that! I once farted loudly in the library, here, but that's hardly on the scale of some of these mishaps. I'll let you know if I remember anything, don't worry.

Comment

Back in the mid-Seventies my mates and I, being a bit too young for the pub, would often spend the latter part of a Saturday night at the house of one of our number. His parents liked a drink, always had a plentiful supply of booze in and either never noticed or never cared that we helped ourselves to a few cans. We’d quite happily knock back a couple of Hoffmeisters and watch ‘Match of The Day’, making sure that we left the house before the parents dragged themselves home from the local Social Club, usually the worst for wear. One night they came back earlier than expected but in the usual state of inebriation, and immediately retired upstairs for what turned out to be a very loud, bed-spring twanging, headboard-banging sex session. As the noise of their coupling threatened to drown out the MOTD commentary (“Christ, Fred, you’re like a bloody bulldozer,” being particularly memorable), our mate sunk lower and lower in his chair, his face crimson with embarrassment. His mum had saved the best until last though - “I dunno where you shot, Fred, but I’m fuckin’ layin’ in it.” became a catchphrase of our teenage years. Strangely, we were never invited back.

Comment

Hahaha

I refuse to believe all of these can be true, but they're very funny nonetheless.

Comment

That second to last line . . . I laughed so hard I almost shat a kidney. Nice one gjw100.

Comment

I've got too many drunk ones I just want to forget all of them.
                  My sober one I'd like to forget though was after an interview one freezing cold winters day , the pavements were a sheet of ice the full winter scene.Anyway after said interview the manager said he would walk me to the security gate to see me out .
                  After walking about 30 yards I slipped on the ice but not wanting to fall alone decided to grab hold of the manager for all my life was worth, he came crashing down faster and far harder than me and had a lump on his head the size of a golf ball.
                  I still got the job bit I wish I would of sued the bastards.

Comment

May as well post this here rather than start a new thread as it’s where I first documented our friend L’s condom on the bus story. Last week, whilst returning some laundered clothes to her 26-year-old son’s bedroom, L was startled to see two used condoms hanging over the edge of the wastepaper bin by the side of his bed. When he returned from work that evening she gave him a full-on bollocking about his disgusting behaviour, how she wouldn’t tolerate that sort of thing in her house, etc, etc. Bemused, the lad followed her to his room where she pointed to the offending objects. He then picked them up to reveal two latex gloves that she had used the day before when cleaning the adjacent toilet.

Comment

Reading back through this thread has been a stark reminder that you haven't posted nearly enough in the nearly ten years since your arrival, gjw.

And I was a little confused as to why L was so horrified to see her 26-year-old son was using condoms even before I re-read everything. Now I have done it just seems downright hypocritical. I'd also like to know whether this is the same son who told the comedian about his mum's affair.

Comment

Originally posted by gjw100 View Post
                        May as well post this here rather than start a new thread as it’s where I first documented our friend L’s condom on the bus story. Last week, whilst returning some laundered clothes to her 26-year-old son’s bedroom, L was startled to see two used condoms hanging over the edge of the wastepaper bin by the side of his bed. When he returned from work that evening she gave him a full-on bollocking about his disgusting behaviour, how she wouldn’t tolerate that sort of thing in her house, etc, etc. Bemused, the lad followed her to his room where she pointed to the offending objects. He then picked them up to reveal two latex gloves that she had used the day before when cleaning the adjacent toilet.
                        Were the gloves bunched up? Because those would either be some small gloves, or would have to be some massively wide condoms to be confused with latex gloves.

Comment

I'm assuming that they weren't Marigolds.

"Coloured johnnies!!! Not in this house, my lad!!!"

Then again, they would have looked like they had ribbing, "for her pleasure".*

* Not his mum's!
                          Last edited by Nocturnal Submission; 16-05-2019, 13:11.

Comment

I once puked my hungover guts up at London Bridge station in front of a horrified crowd of fellow travellers waiting to get through the ticket barrier gates. I was comforted by a city guy in a suit who said "hey, don't worry, buddy, we've all done that". Every time I think about going all Daenarys on the City of London I hope he's doing well.

Comment

Before eschewing animal products, I used to wear a black leather jacket during the colder months. On one occasion, said item was worn to a post-work drink-up at which a good few of us were perched around a table on those small, circular stools ('mushrooms', as I believe they're known). Lacking a back to my chair, I, like others, placed my jacket on the stool and sat on it. When it came to my round, I rose, picked up the jacket and removed my wallet from a pocket, before sitting back down to fish out some cash.

Okay, you're way ahead of me: I promptly 'sat' on thin air - my jacket having attached itself to the stool, which I'd somehow picked up with it. The inevitable Laurel & Hardy-style pratfall ensued, complete with dead-fly legs up in the air, causing the by-now full room to erupt into laughter. This included a fairly hifalutin' exec from the BBC who'd briefly stopped to say hello to us. I shook his hand from my new position on the floor as he departed.

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                              Were the gloves bunched up? Because those would either be some small gloves, or would have to be some massively wide condoms to be confused with latex gloves.
                              Speak for yourself. (Etc.)

Comment

(mine is) Minor in scale but that reminds me - me and my mate went to watch St Mirren for a day out, had a couple on the train and a few in the Horsehoe in Glasgow before getting the train to Paisley. We were sat on those flip up seats on the train, next to the toilet and mate was attempting to make conversation with some bemused local women before giving up and going for a piss. He exited and left the door open not realising you had to press a button to close it, so I chuckled, gave the women a rolly eyes, look at my daft mate look, leant forward to close it while forgetting I was in a flip up seat, sat back down on thin air and landed on my arse on the train floor to the hilarity of all assembled.

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Sam. I wander in here fairly regularly for a quick catch up but rarely feel the need to post anything. No doubt a sign of our troubled times, but these days there seems to be a dearth of the sort of light-hearted, anecdotal thread that I might be tempted to contribute to. Shallow, I know.

Turning to more interesting matters, I think L's objection wasn't the use of condoms per se, but the fact that they had been so carelessly discarded. Although given her experience on the bus one could forgive her for being traumatized by even the sight of one. They were indeed latex gloves with elasticated cuffs of the kind worn by surgeons etc. In the interests of science I've just conducted a small experiment and yes, bunched up and hanging over the edge of a bin, they could in a certain light and without close inspection be mistaken for something else. Of course for a properly rigorous comparison I should have placed them alongside a condom. An empty one, naturally. Anything more than that would have been taking the experiment a little too far and may have led to some awkward questions from my wife. As it was she raised a quizzical eyebrow when I asked her whether she had any of the latex gloves that she occasionally brings home from work.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post

This is an oft-repeated story on OTF and it's not exactly "in public" although we were in a group of people. It is however, fcuking embarrassing so it bears repeating.
                                    I was at 6th form, trying to be winningly obnoxious chatting to a girl.
                                    I asked her name to which she replied "Beatrice."
                                    "Beatrice?! I spluttered. "Your parents must have hated you."
                                    "Presumably so" she said coldly. "I'm adopted."
                                    God, Hobbes, if that had happened to me it would still reappear in my mind during sleepless night hours and cause me to flush with shame. (Because a number of faux pas in the past still do that to me)

Comment

Working...
                                    X