What Central Heating Has Done For Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting article on the BBC site about something which has been around for thousands of years but only recently has become the norm - central heating.

Now that autumn and winter are drawing in we tend to think of central heating as a perfunctory way of keeping warm, but this article highlights how the widespread availability of central heating has changed the way that families interact with one another.

We didn't have CH at home until I was about 10, so I can just about remember waking up on cold mornings and seeing my breath on the bedroom window.

Unlike many seem to do these days I would put an extra layer of clothes on first before I would switch the heating on. Maybe I'm becoming an old skinflint.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8283796.stm

What's special about October 1st? And, while this may be because I'm a southerner, it seems far too early to be turning the heating on. I'm still sleeping with the window open and no blanket, for Christ's sake.

Comment

Good timing. We turned the furnace on last night for the first time.

Comment

Here at my mum's it's like being inside an oven. thanks I think to some kind of fuck up with the council run central boiler thing in the flats.

luckily for me I'm going over to my own to spend a couple of days with my cat as ed is going away.
        it is lovely & cold there.
        our flat is victorian, 16 ft ceilings, huge damp draughty cellar under bare floorboards, etc. giant bay windows with we did spend a fortune draught proofing but which still let the chill seep in a bit. as skinflints we always tried to make do with just lighting the fire and huddling round it like some Dickensian couple, swathed in blankets, just the tiny circle of firelight to protect us as the nights drew in and the wind whistled and whispered its way in and the ghosts in the cellar rose up quietly to spread a chill, foggy damp through the halls.

Comment

Are you back in Blighty now, Lyra? Are there some threads I missed?

Comment

urgh, sadly, yes, I couldn't find a job and God was telling me it was time to be in London and so I decided to stop with my mother for a bit while i look for one. I hate London and would ideally move away again, but I have no skills that anyone would want.

Comment

Ginger Yellow wrote:
              What's special about October 1st? And, while this may be because I'm a southerner, it seems far too early to be turning the heating on. I'm still sleeping with the window open and no blanket, for Christ's sake.
              I do this all year round (cue northerner jokes), but then it's odd for me to feel the cold. If it does happen, I can guarantee it's because I'm unwell.

Comment

I hate putting the heating on for the first time. It's tantamount to waving a white flag at autumn. And it makes the house smell of dust.

Comment

I have yet to work out how to work our boiler, so our house is cold one week, then baking the next when the landlord's back at home.

Comment

The best thing about living in a modern flat is that they're insulated to the eyeballs.
                    Last winter I reckon we used the heating for a total of about 12 hours.
                    It's still very much open balcony door weather at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                    X