X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safire extinguished

William Safire dies

Safire extinguished

I didn't feel much about this one way or the other. But man, the conservative big dogs are dropping like flies. Buckley a while back, then recently Novak, Kristol, and now Safire.

I always remember this thing from The Onion from a long time ago:

NEW YORK–Stopping for lunch at a Manhattan Burger King, New York Times 'On Language' columnist William Safire ordered two "Whoppers Junior" Monday. "A majority of Burger King patrons operate under the fallacious assumption that the plural is 'Whopper Juniors,'" Safire told a woman standing in line behind him. "This, of course, is a grievous grammatical blunder, akin to saying 'passerbys' or, worse yet, the dreaded 'attorney generals.'" Last week, Safire patronized a midtown Taco Bell, ordering "two Big Beef Burritos Supreme."
    He hadn't written the On Language column in quite some time. A while back, he wrote that David Beckham was the "British soccer team captain." I sent in a correction, which he acknowledged in a later column, though not mentioning my name.

Comment

Safire extinguished

conservative big dogs are dropping like flies.

They all got to live long enough to see what they'd wrought.

Comment

Safire extinguished

The speech Safire wrote for Nixon to deliver if NASA lost contact with Armstrong and Aldrin and it became clear they would die on the moon.

I guess it makes sense that something like this was drafted, but not having lived through the first moon landing, I never really thought about the possibility of this hypothetical happening. It's got me really depressed just thinking about this grim what-if.

Comment

Safire extinguished

the conservative big dogs are dropping like flies ...recently Kristol ...
          What? Really?

*breathlessly Googles*

Oh. His Dad. Never heard of him.

I can see this happening again when 'George Bush dies'. Forewarned, forearmed.

Comment

Working...
          X