Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-oh, here's this year's MMR jab scare then ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A girl dies after receiving the cervical cancer injection

Those cunts over at the Daily Mail must be rubbing their fucking hands with glee.

Comment

Oh yes. Top story on their website.

"‘Instead of giving them vaccines, we should be promoting other measures they should be taking – such as not being promiscuous and using a condom. "

FFS

Comment

Bollocks.

Comment

I can't say more, but I'm fairly certain that the vaccine itself had very little to do with this girl's death.

Whatever the cause of death, it's very tragic.

Comment

I see OTF is having a knee-jerk reaction to an alleged Daily Mail knee-jerk reaction.

The Daily Mail article itself isn't particularly bad.

Although I'm in favour of vaccinating women against HPV, I don't consider advocating condoms and advising against promiscuity to be objectionable opinions.

Comment

Not OTF. Me.

I know it's easy to see the two as equivalent, but try to retain a distinction.

Comment

Although I'm in favour of vaccinating women against HPV, I don't consider advocating condoms and advising against promiscuity to be objectionable opinions.
                Straw man alert! Straw man alert!

Where did I say I found it objectionable? However, if you think that condoms and advising against promiscuity alone is going to stop more than 900 women per year dyng of cervical cancer, then we have a problem.

Comment

Nice straw man, Bill.

Comment

"Natalie Morton, who had cervical cancer vaccine, died because of malignant tumour in chest", says the BBC News ticker this morning.

Comment

And fourteen-years-old. Bloody hell that's rough.

Comment

The Daily Mail comments for your edification

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...r-vaccine.html

Here's a sample -

'Deputy coroner for Coventry Louise Hunt told Natalie's parents that the current indication was that the vaccine was not a contributing factor in her death.'

Current Indication = cover up
                        - no2eu, London, 01/10/2009 12:56

Comment

This is a bit of an aside, but I'm always curious why the conspiracy theorists believe that it's in Big Pharma's interest to go around killing patients.

Surely, the longer patients stick around then the more treatable conditions they'll acquire and the more profit they make?

Comment

Ben Goldacre, who is not very well-known here, was on the NPR program "On the Media" last week talking about this. I hadn't really heard of the story before that.

One thing struck me about the interview (well, two--is cervical normally pronounced "serve-EYE-cal" over there? How is cervix pronounced)...Goldacre was talking about how the right-wing media in the UK are the ones that most play up fears of vaccinations. Apart from this media, who are the people that aren't having their kids vaccinated? Here in the US, the fear-of-vaccination people are all mostly the crunchy organic naturalist folks--rather left-wing. I'm sure there's some on the right that don't trust the government and don't want to vaccinate their kids, but I imagine that they're all homeschoolers also, but most of the anti-vaccine people that I'm aware of are also the ones that shop at farmers' markets and Whole Foods. Witness one of the comments in response to the interview, from someone in Vermont: "There is a huge middle ground populated by intelligent NPR listeners and others whose worst offense is to demand a conversation that includes differing medical models. Many of us who are well into our 50s and 60s have been utilizing alternative modalities to the standard western allopathic medical system for years and have accumulated a more complex view of health issues that do not immediately stop at accepting what is touted by the pharmaceutical industry."

So, what's the typical demographic of a British anti-vaccination person?

Comment

Stereotypically, a reader of rabidly right wing tabloids who's sufficiently ignorant to believe everything they read in there, and sufficiently aggressive to go on and on about it. The only other "typical" anti-vaxer would be someone who has, say, a child with autism and has gone with the anti-vax hype for emotional reasons. There's no significant liberal / left opposition to vaccines, except among a few really old-school greens who will typically be alt-med all round - they still exist, but there are fewer of these than there used to be (or that's how it appears to me). The Green Party is gradually moving away from its tolerance of health woo, and there's pretty much no tradition of anti-scientific hocus-pocus on the non-hippy left. The reverse, if anything.

The Daily Mail really is where most of this stuff comes from these days. In times gone by, an opponent of vaccination (or proponent of alt-med) would be assumed to be a Guardian reader of what Americans would call the "crunchy" variety. These days, someone making an articulate case against anti-vax crap would be assumed to be a Guardian reader - Goldacre has much to do with this, I think, but largely through being in the right place at the right time. The "not MY kids" lot, ignorant/careless of the concept of herd immunity, are typically the kind of lower middle class (or middle-middle class) right-wingers associated with the Mail, or perhaps the Express. It's not really seen as a political issue in this country - certainly not party political - but the affiliations associated with this kind of stance have swapped over in the last ten years or so. It's really just down to media.

You could point to the highly selfish nature of Mail-reading conservatism as a motivating factor, I suppose, but I'm not sure that's really it. I'm not sure that the anti "big government" mindset of the modern right is all that relevant either. Basically, the green / healthy / veggie left have sharpened up their thinking, and the propaganda has shifted to right-wing media by following the path of least resistance.

Comment

Thanks. There isn't really any anti-vaccine sentiment in any media outlets here, aside from bad reporting that has to present both sides of any issue as having equal weight ("opponents say...") without discussing any of the science behind it. Though I guess that Jenny McCarthy has gotten a lot of free press from the entertainment media to espouse her ideas of curing her kids of autism through a gluten-free diet. Oprah's even given her a business deal.

There is an article in the NYT today discussing the widespread skepticism over the H1N1 vaccine, and how people that aren't anti-vaccine are wary of the H1N1 shot, and that anti-vaccinators are hoping to capitalize on that.

To get a good sense of what the crunchy American anti-vaccinators are like, you can listen to the This American Life story about a measles outbreak in a wealthy San Diego neighborhood that lead to quarantines. All of the mothers that refused to have their kids vaccinated stand by their decision. There's a lot of sentiments that their children are fragile, and they are the only ones protecting them, especially from doctors that are seen as bullies.

Comment

I was in Whole Foods yesterday: I thought I'd have lunch there on the way to getting my hair cut. Some guy was demo-ing a blender in the lobby, and giving it large about how putting raw garlic in a vegetable smoothie protects against cancer. Which I thought was a fucking disgraceful thing to claim in order to sell an overpriced blender. So, dammit, I told him so, and turned on my heel. Ha! That's £6.95 of my money Whole Foods aren't getting.

Taylor: there's a fair few hippy parents round my way who seem very anti-vax. I'm not sure Green-leaning types have tidied up their act as much as you say, though I agree the movement seems to be heading in that direction.

Comment

Is this the right thread to post up the news about the Advertising Standards Agency saying that Danone have to pull their "Actimel" adverts that imply that the stuff is in any way "good" for you, especially kids?

A completely unsatisfactory claim, according to the ASA. Which is a bugger for their advertisers, who have been hanging the product on just that claim for years. Well let's face it you're not going to be able to sell it on grounds of taste - I think even those Hindu priests who drink cow's urine might turn their noses up at downing an Actimel.

Comment

I wouldn't say there's a huge political divide among the UK public when it comes to anti-vax sentiments, although to be honest I don't think I've seen any recent survey data. But it's certainly true that the MMR story was originally pushed by the likes of the Mail the strongest (but, to its eternal shame, also Private Eye). That said, papers like the Observer really picked up the MMR scare and ran with it (Goldacre goes into this angle at length in his book). But the rightwing UK press seem to actively push woo and general anti-science stories much more than the left wing press.

I think the difference with the US stems from the fact that anti-vax sentiment in the UK only really became common post-Wakefield, whereas the in the US it seemed to gain steam much earlier with thimerosal/mercury. Indeed, thimerosal had been removed from vaccines in the US before the MMR scare in the UK reached its peak.

A completely unsatisfactory claim, according to the ASA. Which is a bugger for their advertisers, who have been hanging the product on just that claim for years.
                                      Oh, it won't stop them. I saw their latest ad the other day, which stopped short of explicit health claims, but still called it "Your daily defence drink". Indeed, check out their website:
                                      Actimel is a delicious probiotic drinking yogurt that contains over 10 billion live and active probiotic bacteria or 'good' bacteria – also known as L. casei Imunitass® - in each bottle. The reason there are so many of them is to ensure that a sufficient number of this exclusive L. casei Imunitass® get to the gut alive and active, so that Actimel can deliver its health benefit.

Actimel helps support the body's defences, when consumed every day as part of a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle.

The beneficial effects of Actimel have been researched for over 15 years, in 24 published clinical studies , so make Actimel your Daily Defence Drink!

Comment

These graphics were featured on BoingBoing today and are quite powerful (at least for me).

Comment

I saw that link somewhere last week (I think it might have been on Feministing) and thought it was really good. The rest of the site is well worth a look.

Comment

Amy Wallace, the editor-at-large for Los Angeles magazine and a widely-published author (and who has shared in two staff-wide Pulitzers) has a piece in Wired magazine on the anti-vaxxer movement and its consequences:

This isn’t a religious dispute, like the debate over creationism and intelligent design. It’s a challenge to traditional science that crosses party, class, and religious lines. It is partly a reaction to Big Pharma’s blunders and PR missteps, from Vioxx to illegal marketing ploys, which have encouraged a distrust of experts. It is also, ironically, a product of the era of instant communication and easy access to information. The doubters and deniers are empowered by the Internet (online, nobody knows you’re not a doctor) and helped by the mainstream media, which has an interest in pumping up bad science to create a “debate” where there should be none.
                                            [...]
                                            Consider: In certain parts of the US, vaccination rates have dropped so low that occurrences of some children’s diseases are approaching pre-vaccine levels for the first time ever. And the number of people who choose not to vaccinate their children (so-called philosophical exemptions are available in about 20 states, including Pennsylvania, Texas, and much of the West) continues to rise. In states where such opting out is allowed, 2.6 percent of parents did so last year, up from 1 percent in 1991, according to the CDC. In some communities, like California’s affluent Marin County, just north of San Francisco, non-vaccination rates are approaching 6 percent (counterintuitively, higher rates of non-vaccination often correspond with higher levels of education and wealth).

That may not sound like much, but a recent study by the Los Angeles Times indicates that the impact can be devastating. The Times found that even though only about 2 percent of California’s kindergartners are unvaccinated (10,000 kids, or about twice the number as in 1997), they tend to be clustered, disproportionately increasing the risk of an outbreak of such largely eradicated diseases as measles, mumps, and pertussis (whooping cough). The clustering means almost 10 percent of elementary schools statewide may already be at risk.
                                            Predictably, some anti-vaxxers have targeted her and sent her hate mail.

A reporter for 25 years, she has gotten more mail — and endured more nasty personal attacks — than for any other story she has written (including her first-person exploration of L.A.'s worship of female breasts.) She has taken to tweeting serially about the allegations lodged against her, which include a commenter's confident claim that Wallace is "a well-known pharma lobbyist." Wallace tweets today:

I’ve been called stupid, greedy, a whore, a prostitute, and a “fking lib.” I’ve been called the author of “heinous tripe.”...I’ve been told I’ll think differently “if you live to grow up.” I’ve been warned that “this article will haunt you for a long time.”...Just now, I got an email so sexually explicit that I can’t paraphrase it here. Except to say it contained the c-word....and a reference to dead fish."
                                            http://twitter.com/msamywallace

Comment

Resuscitating this thread for this idiot with a medical degree

An Arizona cardiologist told CNN in an interview that went online Monday that he doesn't care if his refusal to vaccinate his kids gives other children grave, preventable diseases.

“I’m not going to sacrifice the well-being of my child. My child is pure,” Dr. Jack Wolfson said in the interview. “It’s not my responsibility to be protecting their child.”
                                              For those of you who are not in the US, the anti-vaxxer menace became a big deal over here due to a significant outbreak of measles being traced to Disneyland.

And today, GOP presidential candidates Chris Christie and Rand Paul both re-iterated their previously stated wignut views on the subject.

Comment

Toasting over a fire is honestly too good for these cunts.

Comment

From the previous page about pro-biotic yoghurt

Actimel is a delicious probiotic drinking yogurt that contains over 10 billion live and active probiotic bacteria or 'good' bacteria – also known as L. casei Imunitass® - in each bottle. The reason there are so many of them is to ensure that a sufficient number of this exclusive L. casei Imunitass® get to the gut alive and active, so that Actimel can deliver its health benefit.

Actimel helps support the body's defences, when consumed every day as part of a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle.

the only really effective way of restoring the healthy balance of 'good' bacteria and 'bad' bacteria after surgery or a lot of anti-biotics is not to drink yoghurt. It's to introduce a solution of a healthy person's faeces into your gut.

I'd love to see the ads for that.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X