Fortress Brighton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fortress Brighton

Is this doubling as the Conference thread, or is there a separate one?

Anyway, it's telling that the only person on the TV coverage who's really impressed me isn't a Labour MP at all, but the Unite union leader Tony Woodley.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Jack Straw's just rallied the troops by announcing that an elderly friend of his mother (88) knocked on her door to declare that after a lifetime of voting Tory, she's decided to swith to Labour because she likes Gordon Brown, and trusts him!

I'm not sure attracting the votes of wandering senile old women is going to be enough to save Labour, myself.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

When Labour came to Bournemouth, they put the fences up all along the 'parade'... but they wondered why their conference building was full of anti-labour people... and then realised that they had put up their fences ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

I was doing a "Brown Bullshit Bingo" tally on his speech, but there's no point carrying on - 5 minutes in, "Choice" has been said 26 times, leaving "Britain", "Jobs" and "The Hard-Working Majority" all trailing in a poor second on about 5 each.

Ooh, hang on, "hard-working" is really coming up on the rails. Bizarrely, though, all the good things Gordon's mentioned he wants to ensure for his "hard-working majority" (like free NHS care) are only available for those who, er, aren't working at all.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Fucking hell, is this the speech of a drowning PM? He's just promised to increase the minimum wage every year for the next five years if he's re-elected, similarly increase child tax credits, and restore the earnings link to state pensions. All while we're in a recession (so, actually, none of those rises are actually justified at the moment anyway, however popular they'd be).

I think it's a fair bet Cameron will be making no such promises next week.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Ah, that's the Scottish vote fucked. He's just said councils will be allowed to withdraw - across the board - 24-hour drinking.

Missing the point, again. It's not people drinking in town centre pubs that predominantly causes anti-social behaviour, it's the little bastards sitting around at home necking the cheap booze sold to them by his mate Lord Sainsbury.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Rogin the Armchair Fan wrote:
                all the good things Gordon's mentioned he wants to ensure for his "hard-working majority" (like free NHS care) are only available for those who, er, aren't working at all.
                How do you mean?

Comment

Fortress Brighton

In the sense that truly "free" NHS care is now mostly available only to those on Jobseeker's Allowance or other benefits paid to people who aren't in full-time work, like Working Tax Credit.

The "hard-working" who no longer qualify for those benefits have increasingly had to pay for their NHS prescriptions, or dental care, in recent years.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Seaside resorts need the business.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

I have a vision in my head of SR bunkered down behind barbed wire, clutching his last Pot Noodle, unable to get to the shops to grab the garlic, pasta, tomato sauce and chilli flakes required to whip up OTF's favourite emergency recipe.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

I fancy SR as a British equivalent of Hunter S Thompson, following party hangers on and press officers around while whacked out on qualudes and half a bottle of Famous Grouse, asking them inopportune questions about party funding and generally being a sniper-attracting complete menace.

So you know, do that.

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Man, I would LOVE to do that. I'm a bit too low on the pecking order right now, and I was too late to sort out tickets this year, but it's an idea for the future...

Comment

Fortress Brighton

Innit.

Comment

Working...
                            X