Protest against the Nazi in City Hall-Tuesday 6pm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So what are you up to after work on Tuesday?

Protest against the Nazi BNP in London

Assemble 6pm, Tuesday 6 May

outside City Hall (near Tower Bridge)

Millions of people across Britain will be shocked and horrified by the news that the fascist British National Party (BNP) has managed to grab an assembly seat in London-one of the most multiracial and diverse cities of the world.

The BNP polled 5.3 percent of the London-wide assembly vote, as compared to 4.7 percent in 2004. Much of this vote came from suburban areas, especially the outer east London boroughs of Barking & Dagenham, Havering and Redbridge.

While anti-fascist campaigning and the high turnout helped hold the Nazis back, it was not enough to prevent them from breaking through the crucial 5 percent barrier that guarantees a London assembly seat.

Elsewhere in the country the picture was similar, with the BNP making small advances that were nevertheless large enough to see them break into new areas, such as Rotherham, Nuneaton and Tilbury in Essex.

Much of the blame for letting the Nazis in lies with the political and media establishment that has whipped up a storm of racism against Muslims and immigrants in recent years. New Labour ministers have cloaked themselves in the Union Jack, parroted nationalist rhetoric about "Britishness" and joined in the chorus of right-wing attacks on our multicultural society.

They have lashed out at Muslims to find a scapegoat for their disastrous wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and lashed out at Poles to deflect anger at the poor housing, decaying public services and dismal wages that blight the lives of so many.

The fascists feed off this climate of despair-and they will grow further if the anti-Nazi majority does not stand together and stand up to their politics of bigotry and race hatred.

The 100,000-strong anti-Nazi carnival organised in London by Love Music Hate Racism on the Sunday before the elections shows the potential for building such a movement. There is a proud anti-racist tradition in London and across the country-and that tradition needs to be activated in the coming months.

I take it the Tory cunt who likened Johnson's victory to Myssolini's march on Rome will not feature among the speakers...

Comment

I would think not.

As it goes, I haven't a clue what sort of shape this will take, but I know I need to be there.

Comment

I'm going to be en route at the time. (To guess where? Nottingham.)

Comment

I suppose that means that you're excused then. Nottingham - is there some significance I've missed?

Comment

The handbags with Nottingham's Mr. Nishlord on the big thread.

Comment

Ahhhhhh

Comment

What struck me when I saw the full breakdown of the votes for the London Assembly was that the BNP candidate who was eventually "elected" won less than 20,000 constituency votes, yet the BNP got over 130,000 party list votes. Assuming the initial 20,000 also voted BNP on the party list, as did (presumably) the 30,000 who voted National Front in the constituency lists, it's interesting to speculate where the other 80,000 came from. Labour and the Greens had broadly the same number of voters on both lists, while the Tories had 70,000 fewer party list voters than constituency votes, and the Lib Dems apparently "lost" around 80,000 voters.

Were significant numbers of Lib Dem voters really switching to the BNP?

Comment

You need to re-brand this as an anti-fascist OTFathon both starting and ending at a nearby pub, with a ten-minute interlude for banner-waving and chants.

Comment

Who's a BNP voter? Miserable elderly racists? Angry young skinheads? The under-educated and under-employed?

Comment

Does anyone know what percentage of the vote the National Front was getting in the 1970's? How does this compare to last weeks 5% share gained by the BNP - is it up or down?

Comment

I'm sure it's just a question of people being away from the board over the BH weekend, imp.

You can look at the NF's 1970s votes in detail, but there wasn't an election similar to the London-wide election we've just had to compare to.

Comment

I might be wrong but I think they only stood in relatively few constituencies before. So I doubt they were anywhere near 5% all across London.

Comment

Looking at previous election results they were lucky to receive 1% of the vote in about half the elections they stood. I wonder what has caused the swing this time - dis-illusionment with labour or other factors. My moneys on problems with Brown & co. and him blaming economic conditions for his poor performance does nothing to help matters.

Comment

I'm not sure you can compare it directly like that. But one thing the BNP have done is to present themselves as respectable, in a way in which the NF never managed.

Comment

That passage in the opening post doesn't quite follow.

Protest at City Hall although the reason for a rise in the votes of the BNP is attributed to the media and New Labour.

What's this protest going to achieve? Surely a protest against the like of the Daily Mail and the government would make more sense.

Comment

Surely a protest against the like of the Daily Mail and the government would make more sense.
                                  Let us all know the time and place, and I'll see if I can get along.

Comment

You're just a protest whore

Comment

Will try to pop down if I get out in time, though my political appetitie is somewhat tired and jaded at present.

Comment

I'm helping next door do her essay. Which I could have done another day, I suppose, but anyway.

All the best, TonTon.

Comment

Understood, E10. Be good to see you there, if you can make it.

Comment

How was it then?

We managed to keep them out in N. East, but the campaign against them is suffering from serious sectarianism, so that even branches of the same union were treated as dodgy by the official keepers of the leaflets. Sigh.

On a related note, a French friend has told me that while searching online for me/my workplace they came across me on 'red watch.' Just name and TU position, no glam photos nor nothing, so I guess it could be worse.

Comment

I must have covered it on another thread, though I'm confused about what is where. Anyway, lenin has some photos which give you a flavour.

That's incredibly depressing, Felicity. Sorry to hear you've made it onto Redwatch, too.

Comment

without looking elsewhere TonTon, did you win, or get anywhere?

Comment

oh, and just to show I was watching, SERIOUS congrats, you didnt win,but you beat your party leader percentage wise, and dont think it wasnt noticed.

You are a star.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X