Greasy Spoon Alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greasy Spoon Alert

Everything here is served with Home Fries. Which vary in standard from inedible to being the best thing on the plate.

Nowhere really does a decent English Breakfast. Even the Chip Shop, which was decidedly below par (though given my ever increasing desire to have a breakfast, it may have faced difficult standards).

The problem isn't just getting decent bacon. No one even knows what Black Pudding is, and most sausages seem to vary from disgusting to unpleasant.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Are chips, baked beans, sausage, bacon and fried eggs the standard english breakfast? good way to start a cold day. Do a lot of places serve scones or crumpets as well or is this more of an afternoon tea fare? How about coddled eggs? those can be terrific.

I'm definitely biased to a certain extent, but Supertramp was onto something, American breakfasts are great. The main difference is home fries or hash browns instead of chips/french fries, and the thick type of pancakes (with maple syrup), which go better with a breakfast than thinner crepe-like ones. There is also the whole assortment of egg dishes and regional specialties (eggs benedict, scrapple, huevos rancheros).

The best first meal on the Continent might be the Swiss "croute au fromage" (is he still around btw?)

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Scones are shit. Crumpets should probably be the monarchy, such is their essential national relevance. If not the monarchy, then they should certainly be on the national curriculum.

What the bedevilled kidneys are 'coddled eggs'?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

hobbes wrote:
          I seem to remember that US hash browns are different - actually grated potato, fried. Nice.
          Eh, what kind of weird-ass hash browns do English people have?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

linus wrote:
            The best first meal on the Continent might be the Swiss "croute au fromage" (is he still around btw?)
            He's now Moonlight Shadow, and I'm sure he'll be very flattered.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Toro: Count On It wrote:
              hobbes wrote:
              I seem to remember that US hash browns are different - actually grated potato, fried. Nice.
              Eh, what kind of weird-ass hash browns do English people have?
              Four and a half hours until McD's can answer your question.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Well, before being deep fried three times they were a grated potato.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Cheers Toro.

EIM wrote:
                  Scones are shit. Crumpets should probably be the monarchy, such is their essential national relevance. If not the monarchy, then they should certainly be on the national curriculum.

What the bedevilled kidneys are 'coddled eggs'?
                  Scones are really good if baked fresh, and crumpets do rule, especially ones made from scratch.

Coddled eggs are eggs cooked over a bain-marie (double boiler) in a small (often tall) ceramic ramekin, with ingredients like butter, cheese, herbs, small bacon bits and sometimes mashed potatoes. I think it's an old-fashioned (perhaps regional?) English thing. It's kind of a super poached egg, much more fun to dig in than a plain boiled egg.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash browns are smart when you need something to replace the mushrooms and tomato thst you don't like.
                    Hobbesian rightness. Although I'm definitely referring to the American style. Not quite sure what other kinds there are.

Also, what's the deal with grilled tomatoes? Uncooked tomatoes are lovely. Grilling them turns them into mushy crap. Why bother?

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                      Also, what's the deal with grilled tomatoes? Uncooked tomatoes are lovely. Grilling them turns them into mushy crap. Why bother?
                      I agree with this statement.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

I think that is the point. Grilling (properly, not just heating them up) releases more of the juice of the tomato, making it almost sauce-like, which can then accompany the meat parts and be soaked by the fried bread/toast.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Hash browns, lots of
                          Sausage, a couple
                          Bacon, lots of
                          Baked beans (at home, a dash of worcester sauce and a small teaspoon of chili powder added while cooking is good)
                          Eggs (scrambled or fried)
                          Fried bread
                          Toast
                          Fried mushrooms, if done properly (i.e. not by my father)

Those plastic bottles of brown sauce that only exist in greasy spoons.

Big mug of tea with sugar.

A hundred years ago Ramon's in Cathays in Cardiff was my all day breakfast place of choice.

Kiwi's have tinned spaghetti with breakfast. Weird.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

pebblethefish wrote:
                            Incidentally, have beans always been a part of a cooked breakfast? Because I know we never had them at home, and I'm pretty sure I never had them when eating round at a friend's. Are they a new addition or did I just have an odd childhood?
                            They definitely weren't part of our big cooked breakfasts back in the day.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

...making it almost sauce-like, which can then accompany the meat parts...
                              That's what baked beans are for

...and be soaked by the fried bread/toast.
                              Not a fan of fried bread. Proper french toast, yes, but that has butter and cinammon sugar on it. No need for it to soak up anything else.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Freedom Toast.

Comment

Greasy Spoon Alert

Joe's Cafe, on the Oxford Street end of Marylebone High Street do an excellent breakfast, I found out today. The toast is top quality, the sausages are actually meaty, and the tea was ace AND served in a white mug. The only downside was that the tea wasn't included in the price, but hey ho.

Comment

Working...
                                  X