Busy doing nothing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Busy doing nothing...

After three weeks of decorating, sorting rooms out, bagging up crap and taking it to the tip, my house needs no work. At all. For at least six months, or however long it takes for the takeaway silver foil tins and strongbow cans to pile up to the point where I can't find the telly again.

And I have a week's leave. Pre-booked, in fact, precisely because I'd planned to do my spring cleaning this week, not realising that my Mum would arrive at short notice and help me blitz the place ahead of schedule.

So I have, strangely for me, nothing to do. At all. Which I'm not used to. I've spent pretty much every day of the last ten years either working, working on some wife-inspired DIY project at home, or being entertainments manager for two small children. I have none of that to do this week. It's going to be - pretty much literally - like being unemployed.

How many episodes of Jeremy Kyle does one have to watch before one starts wearing tracksuit bottoms in public, and forgetting to shave in the morning?

Busy doing nothing...

Welcome to my world. Except, there is DIY work to be done. But I don't want to get my tracksuit bottoms dirty in case I must appear in public.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I love doing nothing.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I wish!

I'm sat here sort of working, but it's quiet, but I still have to sit here. I'm desperately tired, i can't remember the lats time I didn't feel tired and want to just sit down and have absolutely nothing to do soon.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Are you not able to access the Scrabble?

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Bloody hell, Rogin. Books you've always wanted to read + pubs open from 12 o'clock that serve food = one week well used

It doesn't even need that much imagination. You could even do a Dylan Thomas and dig out an old suit as your drinking suit to wear for the week

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I like the idea of a drinking suit. Mine would have to have a hole in one elbow, and a hankerchief rakishly poking out of the breast pocket. Maybe, just maybe, the trousers would be held up with a colourful length of bailing string.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Well, today I shall be mostly getting my hair cut, and then drinking cider in the sun ...

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

You could finish those two games of scrabble, if you need a short term project

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

been trying, I just get the "loading game ... please wait" pop-up for ages. I think Marian's started that many games she's crashed the board.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I clearly have developed a Pavlovian reaction to the tightly-scheduled days I normally have at work. I have an appointment to get my hair cut at ten thirty and I'm fretting about being on time, and getting there. Which is bloody stupid, my "hairdresser" is the 18-year-old daughter of one of my best mates, who's just started up her own salon, I'm almost certainly going to be her only customer this morning and I bet she doesn't give a monkey's what time I roll up.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

To borrow a line from Office Space, "I did nothing - and it was everything I thought it could be".

Doing nowt after being ultra-busy for years at a stretch is weird at first, but you soon get used to having the time free, and not having to worry about being in bed by X o'clock becuase you have to be up at Y o'clock the next day.

And you'll also find yourself with the time for stuff that fell off the bottom of your "to do" list sometime around 1999.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Today's been the first beautifully sunny day Lancashire's seen since 1932.

I'm salmon pink, and merrily pissed, and halfway through a paranoid world conspiracy novel written by somebody called something like "Johnny Twelve Eagles".

Life's a good 'un.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

On that life's a good 'un sentiment, may I just add a bit of good news?

Mrs WOM's been off work since the birth of our son. Last week there were six postings for jobs she'd like in September. She interviewed for 4. One was head and shoulders more appealing than the others (complete French immersion, ten minutes from our house). She loved the school and the principal she met. She's to learn on Thursday if she gets the position.
                            She's just called to say the principal's called her to ask "How serious are you about us? Because we really, really want you here." So she's just been offered and has accepted the job she was dying to get. She's thrilled. I'm thrilled for her. Now she can breathe and enjoy the summer.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

C'est formidable.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Je suis d'accord.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Je m'appelle Barry.

Oh, and congratulations to the good lady.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Jolly, jolly good on Mrs WOM.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

That is pretty cool WOM.

Me, well I quit my job last Thursday in preparation for moving to Rome in a few weeks. It was going to be next week, but in searching for a spot of freelance subbing I landed on £2000 worth of work over three weeks starting next Monday, so now I'm going out there in early June.

So this week I have bits and bobs to do, but I can get up when I fancy and piss about as much as I like, especially seeing as my old man is away as well. It's all quite pleasant.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I've been doing this since January. People keep asking me if I find it boring. Stupid bastards.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I just went out to the post office and then past the White Hart and omg, it looked *so nice* in there. Cool and shady, with that kind of glow you get from wood that's been in the sun. windows open for a lovely breeze. hot outside but lovely cold beer inside. only about 6 people in there. peace, quiet. If I had had any money then I would have been lured in for sure.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I'm gagging for a beer. But there are no decent pubs anywhere in Dulwich or Forest Hill. Lordship Lane is like a fucking desert for top quality boozers.

I have to travel half an hour on a bus to have a swift pint.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

what's wrong with the Dartmouth Arms? OK it's been poshed up a bit but it's all right.

otherwise the Railway Telegraph is a nice pub and it's on the 185 route

or let me think, what about going into the village and going to the Dog?

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

I could murder a pint. Except I'm stuck in this office until 8pm tonight (another bloody 12+ hour day) thanks to my boss.

Comment

Busy doing nothing...

Crusoe your work sucks arse! I usually have to work till 8 but it's a freakish quiet week at the minute, only really Indiana Jones and Dexter series 2 to annoy me

I want a pint with every fibre of my being, but I'm a cretin and left my purse at home.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X