Another browser thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another browser thread

The new version of Opera Mini is out, finally adding tabbed browsing. This is great news for me, as I've always loved the way Opera handles web pages on mobile phones and it has a proper cached back function unlike the built-in Nokia browser. It seems to be missing quite a few features though, most notably the ability to use predictive text in addresses and searches. Hopefully this is just because it's in beta, or I'm ignoring something obvious.

Another browser thread

Thanks for the info. I use Opera Mini on my N95. Love it.

Comment

Another browser thread

It turns out you can still use predictive text if you switch off inline editing in the advanced settings.

Comment

Another browser thread

I tried Chrome for the first time yesterday - it's pretty shite, isn't it? Marginally quicker than IE or Firefox, particulerly when actually using google, but that's more than made up for in its lack of intuitiveness.

Comment

Another browser thread

It's great for netbooks, though. It loads up about 10 times quicker than Firefox on mine and doesn't slow down as much when I have lots of tabs open.

Comment

Another browser thread

Thanks for the Opera Mini heads up, GY. It looks pretty neat, although I can't at the moment figure out how to assign key sites to the start-up page. All in due course, I'm sure. Oh, and also, is it possible to transfer your bookmarks directly over from the previous version in one fell swoop?

Comment

Another browser thread

For the first question, it seems to only accept addresses you input directly or from your recent browsing history. For the latter, I haven't figured out a way.

Comment

Another browser thread

Damn - this has a miles better interface than the previous version.

I wish I could get it to always use a particular connection on my E71 (it always makes me choose) and to be the 'default' browser - the built-in one always fires up for links from email etc.

Comment

Another browser thread

Furtho wrote:
                  Thanks for the Opera Mini heads up, GY. It looks pretty neat, although I can't at the moment figure out how to assign key sites to the start-up page. All in due course, I'm sure. Oh, and also, is it possible to transfer your bookmarks directly over from the previous version in one fell swoop?
                  Probably not the answer you want but you can synchronize your opera mini and opera 10 bookmarks using my opera, but that would need running opera 10 (Which I'm loving by the way).

Comment

Another browser thread

After overdosing on Firefox and add-ons that had to be updated constantly, I am really enjoying the simplicity of Chrome.

It's perfect for netbooks.

Comment

Another browser thread

Google are cunts - they appear to have fucked around with the GMail API, thus ensuring the only working notifier is the one they have developed for Chrome and the Firefox extensions don't work any more.

Comment

Another browser thread

Cavalry Trouser Tips wrote:
                        Google are cunts - they appear to have fucked around with the GMail API, thus ensuring the only working notifier is the one they have developed for Chrome and the Firefox extensions don't work any more.
                        My notifier still works -- I use Gmail Notifier.

At the moment, I'd find it hard to dump Firefox because of X-Marks [bookmarks synchroniser]. Can't live without it.

Comment

Another browser thread

Opera have put out a beta version of Opera 10 for S60 phones. I'm not sure I can really recommend it, though. I've yet to figure out what exactly it offers over Opera Mini, and it doesn't seem to have a refresh button.

Comment

Another browser thread

I've got Opera on my E71 (S60 v3 non-touchscreen) and keep going back to the built-in browser. Partly because Nokia have tethered it to the OS worse than IE ever was to Windows, but also because I actually prefer using it - it loads miles faster than Opera and bookmarks etc. are easier to understand.

You can also have it automatically use a connection, rather than having to select every. bloody. time.

SmartConnect is a great application, by the way, allowing you to pile up all your WiFi connections and finally your 3G, so it checks each one in turn until it connects to something. Most useful.

Comment

Another browser thread

Not sure about the E71, but Opera has many advantages over the Nokia browser on the N95. Principally a back function that actually works as a back function with a cache, rather than just loading the previous URL all over again. That alone saves a ton of time. It takes longer to load the first time, but once it's running it's many, many times faster. Also it handles things like OTF's page numbers a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                              X