Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The good news about soaring oil prices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ewww. I've never seen that before. Thank God for my snobbish urban lifestyle.

Comment

I live your same urban, snobbish lifestyle and I've seen them four or five times now. I wish I could add "in Buffalo", but I can't.

Comment

Good point.

Stickers on cars that make me want to do something violent:

Obviously, anything pro-W, or pro-conservative idiocy, racist, anti-gay, anti-environment, anti-evolution, etc. I won't post images for fear of causing rage.

Others that make me think about running the person off the road.

But this may actually be the king of them all. Nothing says "I'm a douchebag" like this one:

Comment

I think the "Fear Not" ones are worse.

Comment

I've never seen that.

My favorite sticker of all time was a massive sticker across the windshield that said "SETTLE DOWN, BEAVIS"

Comment

Just saw the balls again on a brand new Avalanche pickup in the downtown financial district. So pathetic. I should have run up and castrated him.

Comment

That's unacceptable. I can understand it on somebody who works in bull or horse breeding as massive nads are practically a symbol of their profession and probably haunt their dreams, but for anyone else, it's just a stupid, gross macho gesture.

Comment

I've fallen in love with the Volkswagen Transporter.

Comment

Thankfully the nads seem to have fallen out of fashion in my area, and I don't see them that much anymore. I remember seeing some bright blue ones once--do you want to go around bragging that you have blue balls? Besides the shiny plastic "Bumpernuts," I've also seen homemade ones--two tennis balls put in pantyhose.

Comment

Reed not nailing the Mini "The SUV Backlash Starts Here" issue, but nailing the bumper sticker on pickup issue.

FF- This is what enviornmentalists have been hoping for years, a market reason for the end of gas-powered vehicles. With the Chevy (100mpg) Volt around the corner, we're slowly starting to see the end of the gas age.

The next big thing is how to lift an airplane off the ground carrying payload. NASA figured out how to lift a jet off the ground with no passengers or luggage. Once that's figured out, we should really start making progress.

With OPEC saying $7 a gallon gas is around the corner, that could be the best market-based impetus to solve this problem.

Comment

jason voorhees wrote:
                        The next big thing is how to lift an airplane off the ground carrying payload. NASA figured out how to lift a jet off the ground with no passengers or luggage. Once that's figured out, we should really start making progress.
                        Huh?

Comment

Composite rather than metallic aircraft bodies aren't all that far away, I think. Same plane, 20/30% less fuel to power it needed.

Comment

Bigger wings might help. Sure they increase drag, but they also increase lift, thereby requiring less power. Or maybe larger fans in the turbines would help. I'm not really up on my physics, but if I'm thinking correctly, a larger fan would produce the same amount of thrust as a smaller fan, but with fewer revolutions and therefore, needing less fuel.

Or maybe jets could be fitted with big solar panels that look kind of like the AWACS radar pod.

Comment

Cheaper air travel isn't going to do much good for most people day-to-day, unless we can all start riding jet packs to work.

Comment

Reed, you're forgetting about FedEx, DHL, etc., etc. People will benefit from cheaper flight costs because these companies won't have to increase their prices for shipping stuff.

Comment

I was talking about solar-powered planes. Nasa has one that works, but it can't take any passengers or luggage.

It may not do too much for regular people, but it'll certainly help global warming.

Comment

Solar power would only work for ultra light planes with huge wings that don't carry any load and just float there, blimp-like. Very limited practical applications in air transport.

Comment

I was reading an article on small-car fuel efficiency and started noodling some figures. The Toyta Yaris uses 7.0 litres/100 km. The VW City Golf (Canada-only model) gets 9.7 lites / 100 km. If you drive 20,000 km year, at $1.20 a litre, that's roughly an extra $700 in fuel a year. Keep it 10 years, which I tend to do, and you're blowing $7,000 in extra fuel costs.

Comment

Working...
                                      X