GTA IV countdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTA IV countdown

So, just over a month to go till the biggest game ever hits.

I'll kick off the frenzy of anticipation with what seems to be the leaked street map.

GTA IV countdown

I can't wait for this game.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

That subway map is awesome.

I take it this is only for PS3 and 360? Guess it'll be a while until I can play this--don't have the money to upgrade...that, and I probably should be taking care of my kid instead.

edit: and the right-wing talk radio station is hilarious.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

This is going to be *so aces*.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I'm really going to have to get this game and an Xbox 360 no aren't I?

Comment

GTA IV countdown

How long will it be until it comes out on the Commodore 64?

Right, looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my console too.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me whether Liberty City Stories is worth buying to get my Rockstar fix in the meantime?

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I've had this pre-ordered for months. I'm getting so juvenile about it I almost changed to the Special Edition order for the extra crap.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

BDG:

Not really, no. It's just more of the same. I was hoping for at least a really varied bunch of missions and whatnot, but I can't remember anything notable about it now.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Today's treat: Grand Theft Mario

Liberty City Stories is cool for a PSP game - it's handheld GTA, after all. Not much point playing it on a PS2, though.

In anticipation of GTA IV I've downloaded Vice City from Steam and am going to play it through by the time the new one comes out. I only ever played about half of it when it came out on my flatmate's PS2.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

The mission involving rescuing a wasted Shaun Ryder from furious shotgun-wielding rednecks (after he molested their pig) was the pinnacle of GTA San Andreas. I can't remember what the similar high point was in GTA Vice City - it was all fantastic.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I thought attacking the hoods on the jet before sky diving out was fucking great, as was the mission where yo get the jet pack.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I've gone back to San Andreas recently, but on the Xbox. Fuck me, what a difference. It feels so wrong on the xbox. For a start, it's practically impossible to drive-by due to the button configuration. Ah well.

But it's still an amazing game. And the missions are a mixture of fucking superb and amazingly daft. Maccer is obviously the best character, the best mission, though, is a toughy. The one where you nick the jet is great, as is the ones Liq mentions. The final mission is just epic.

The high point in GTA: Vice City was the Phnom Penh '86 mission. Or the bank heist. Or the final 'hitman' mission. Or take your pick, really.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

It took me f'ing ages to do the jet mission in San Andreas. I'd fly out over the ocean, see the jet, turn around, but could never catch up with it in time. It took me about 20 goes to complete it.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I trust you've seen the New Trailer

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Sorry to divert the thread for a moment, but...

I never got into GTA - presumably because I never got the hang of the first version. However, I was a huge fan of Gran Turismo, so I'm interested that the latest version of that is just out. However, I haven't even got a PS3, so it'd be a bit of an expensive investment for me, really.

Anyway, I digress.

What I really want to say/ask/suggest is this: If it hasn't been done already, with all the current advances in sat nav and global imaging technology, why not have a function built into games now whereby you can download a (modified) version of the streets of your own hometown, so you could drive around them. Why not the whole of Google Earth even? You and your mates could have virtual burnups, shoot up each others' houses, shoot up at each others' houses, etc, etc.

Apologies if this was already done about 5 years ago, of course!

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Ginger Yellow wrote:
                                It took me f'ing ages to do the jet mission in San Andreas. I'd fly out over the ocean, see the jet, turn around, but could never catch up with it in time. It took me about 20 goes to complete it.
                                The one that took me a long time was when Toreno sends you onto the aircraft carrier to steal the Harrier jet and take out the boats near the dam, while dodging the other fighters. Mostly because I always hated how flying that jet felt.

And I've never completed the mission for Zero where you fly the RC plane and take out the couriers.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

It's definitely not worth getting a PS3 for the Gran Turismo's that's just been released. It's basically a glorified demo. No tuning, five tracks, two cars per manufacturer. Looks very nice, though.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

That is shit. I wonder why they're bothering? Must be to steal some of GTA's thunder, I suppose.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Presumably to make lots of money off Gran Turismo fans. Apparently they had over a million pre-orders, which is quite amazing when you consider how few PS3 games sell that many in total.

The problem with my cunning Vice City plan is that having nearly finished it this weekend I have 80s songs running around my brain. Specifically 99 Luftballons at the moment. Damn fine game though.

Today's treat: Rockstar unveil GTA IV Social Club.
                                      LCPD Police Blotter - A virtual map and tracker of single-player criminal activity logged in Liberty City from the aggregated data of millions of connected players - showing the most dangerous areas of town, most commonly used weapons and more.

The Story Gang - This special single-player leaderboard recognizes players who complete Niko Bellic's main story arc of Grand Theft Auto IV - The leaderboard ranks players according to the total amount of playing time it's taken to complete the story, as well as a historical rank by who has completed it first. Members of this club will receive special online widgets and merit badges marking all of their in-game accomplishments.

The 100% Club - Watch to see who will be the first to complete 100% of the game. The first ten people to be identified on the Social Club as reaching 100% will be sent an ultra-rare commemorative 'key to the city' to mark their accomplishment. In the future, the 100% Club will then carry a historical leaderboard showing rankings of who has completed 100% of a game in the shortest span of playing hours.

The Hall of Fame -- This area will dynamically recognize those singularly elite players who have reached the top of the hill on various statistical leaderboards, and will also contain a personal awards display of special in-game landmarks and successes in Social Club competitions.

The Liberty City Marathon -- A ranking of special physical milestones achieved in the game - from the amount of miles walked, driven, or swam - to the number of bullets fired and stunt-jumps jumped. There will be additional special marathon-based competitions in the future from this area as well.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Looks like Sony knew what they were doing. GT5 Prologue is top of the UK sales charts.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

I once saw my friend's son playing his way through Zelda: The Windwaker. I watched as he went into one room, watched a cut-scene, but then just turned and walked back out.

Bemused, I said "What about all that in the room? Aren't you going to look in those boxes, or behind the screen there, or pick that stuff up, or...?"

He said, "I don't need to."

"How d'you know that?"

"It doesn't say anything about it in the book..." And he indicated, next to him, the official game guide book, lying open on the appropriate page. He was just going through the book in order. Tsk. Kids today, etc.

I mean, Zelda's notorious for occasionally throwing up a tricky puzzle, so I can understand looking something up online if you get really stuck, but part of the fun is at least trying to explore, scrap and work stuff out, innit? But apparently whenever he got bought a game, he also got the guidebook at the same time.

Anyway, when he was old enough for San Andreas, he obviously got the official book at the same time. I was later surprised to hear that he'd stopped playing it "because it wasn't very good." I later got the truth out of him... he was stuck. He may have had the book, but he lacked the ability to finish the bank job level. A blow for old-school gamers everywhere.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

You can kind of sympathise with that mindset in certain cases - there are some games where you don't want to miss any of the hidden stuff, and some of it's so obscure that you need a guide. There's one JRPG (Chrono Trigger, maybe?) with a secret that you literally couldn't discover without being told. But in general, and especially with something like GTA, it would totally ruin the fun of the game.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

New footage in a Gamestop TV ad.

Comment

GTA IV countdown

There's one JRPG (Chrono Trigger, maybe?) with a secret that you literally couldn't discover without being told.

I have no problem with looking stuff up when you're stuck, or when they release the deliberately hidden secret area, or whatever. This just bemused me because he wasn't actually playing, just following instructions.

The only goal was to cross it off his list regardless of how he did it. I mean I'm not that bothered. He bought the game (or his mum did) and he can do what he wants.

I just didn't see the enjoyment in what he was doing. For all the application or imagination he was using, he might as well just have read the book on its own.

But in general, and especially with something like GTA, it would totally ruin the fun of the game.

Absolutely. But even all that stuff about the 100% club, and how quickly it takes you to finish the game on the official sites goes totally against my way of playing it.

I take bloody ages because I always go wandering about, trying to see what I can get away with. I played San Andreas for about a year, on and off, and still went back to mess about in planes and with jetpacks and stuff, or search the backwoods on foot, after I'd finished it. (What can I say? I lead an empty life.)

Comment

GTA IV countdown

Banjo Kazooie on the N64 had some fucked-up hidden chicanery involving eggs and keys.

They were going to make it so the sequel was a hot-swappable cartridge, but then couldn't get it to work.

All the frustrating details here.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X