The weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The weather

So much for all this sun, then - it's fucking pissing down, in Guildford!

The weather

Well do something about it, man. Don't just piss and moan.

Comment

The weather

I don't normally like Indian summers. I think it is the weather taking the piss but this is nice

Comment

The weather

It is rather splendid.

Comment

The weather

What? It's sunny and 75. Is your computer not next to the window? Mine is, and there's not a cloud in sight.

Comment

The weather

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
            Well do something about it, man. Don't just piss and moan.
            Well, I tried riding home in it and it has stopped, at least.

The reason I was so huffy about it on this particular occasion is that we were forecast fog and drizzle yesterday, so I wore my motorcycle trousers ...and it turned out boiling, so I really didn't want to wear them on the way home. Today, we were promised more sunshine and it's been overcast and raining since late morning.

Met Office bastards - taking the piss out of me, they are! It's a conspiracy!

Comment

The weather

Splendid weather across the Pond. I don't know what the consequences are for Europe, but there is a strong El Niño pattern in the Pacific this year, which should translate into a milder winter for the Northeast (and wetter for California.)

Comment

The weather

It's turned lovely (though coolish) here in Manchester, having pissed down yesterday. I'm sitting in the Hall of Residence, looking North towards the Ci'eh Cen'uh, as scattered fluffy white clouds flit across an azure sky.

Comment

The weather

Eleventh floor, I should have said.

That Hilton building is mental.

Comment

The weather

I'm booking a b&b in the Lakes, that's for sure!

Comment

The weather

Moonlight shadow wrote:
                      I'm booking a b&b in the Lakes, that's for sure!
                      Well, Burnthwaite Farm is pretty good ...as you may well already know, I think.

Comment

The weather

No but it's noted. The place I wanted, in Great Langdale, Millbeck Farm, was fully booked but I found another one just a few miles away, Robinson Farm, slightly cheaper but proper old farm. 50£ for two people with a copious breakie is quite good value in a tourist honeypot like the Lakes.

On the menu, Coniston Old Man and whatever else we can bag on the ridge tommorrow and Helwellyn via Striding Edge from Patterdale on friday. Can't wait for that one!

Comment

The weather

The best thing about Burnthwaite (other than the location) is the rates: I paid £27 a night for my single room, but was upgraded to a twin and the (inclusive) breakfasts were just fine. Thus, the rates (£32 for ensuite) seem to be all-year-round.

Downsides: the mattress I had was uncomfortable and there was no mobile or TV reception. Even normal phone/dial-up internet was flakey and I don't know about the radio reception. Some hikers I talked to said that the GPS signal was weak too.

(edit: And they had 2 domestic dogs for me to pet and 4 working ones! Result!)

Comment

The weather

Bad reception...bonus!

For unbeatable value, the bunk-room beds for 8.50£ at the Kirstone Pass Inn seem pretty there too.

I've decided to swap around the walks, Striding Edge needs a cool, rested head after all.

Comment

The weather

Moonlight shadow wrote:
                              For unbeatable value, the bunk-room beds for 8.50£ at the Kirstone Pass Inn seem pretty there too.
                              What?!

That's amazing!

Comment

The weather

Add the missing "k" before looking for it on t'web.

Comment

Working...
                                X