Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Death

I lost one of my closest friends today.

Quite why I'm writing this I don't know except that I'm alone in the house and need to, well, talk I suppose.

We'd known each other for over forty years, he was one of the three or four people I visit without fail when I'm in the UK. We've walked and talked our way down the same road all that time, same occupations, similar interests. We were the tightest and best traveling companions. He'd talk about his jobs, I'd send him my papers. We'd visit exhibitions together, argue about photography and Rothko, typography and Warhol.

God I'll miss him.

Death

Really sorry, AdC.

Comment

Death

My condolences, Amor.

Comment

Death

My deepest sympathies too.

Comment

Death

Yes Sorry to hear that AdC.

Your post summed up your friendship very well.

It made me think about the people I'll miss, (or who might miss me.)

Condolences.

Comment

Death

Condolences, Amor.

Comment

Death

We'd known each other for over forty years,

From an under-40-year-old, here's to your lifetime and then some of friendship.

Comment

Death

My deepest sympathies AdC. A friendship to be cherised by your bittersweet description.

Comment

Death

Condolences.

Comment

Death

So sorry, AdC. I hope you're holding up.

Comment

Death

Sincere condolences from me too, AdC.

Comment

Death

That's awful news. I'm glad you're hanging in there.

Comment

Death

Thanks everyone. Despite my age my life has been rarely touched by the death of close friends or family. Inevitably that will change and I'll probably learn how to deal with grief more discreetly but until that happens your sympathies are genuinely appreciated.

Comment

Death

Thoughts from here, too.

Your whole world, shaken. Hold hard, man.

Comment

Death

So sorry Amor. At 40 years you had a good innings together. Times to treasure.

Hope you are OK. If you need to talk PM me your number.

Comment

Death

Condolences, Amor.

Is this the friend you met up with in Baldock?

Comment

Death

The first time real grief hits you is truely terrible.

Call friends, call family. Cry when you need to.

Thinking of ya mate.

Comment

Death

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
                                    Condolences, Amor.

Is this the friend you met up with in Baldock?
                                    Yes. He had a studio there, just down the road from our flat.

Comment

Death

Amor de Cosmos wrote:
                                      Despite my age my life has been rarely touched by the death of close friends or family. Inevitably that will change and I'll probably learn how to deal with grief more discreetly but until that happens your sympathies are genuinely appreciated.
                                      Don't worry about being discreet; just accept that people will understand. It's crap when someone dies.

Comment

Death

May I ask if you'd had any forewarning of this, or was it out of the blue?

Comment

Death

Totally unexpected. Although, as I suppose you do, I remember when I last saw him at Christmas. We were discussing health issues, he mentioned he hadn't been to the doctor for a check-up in decades. I said that was pretty dumb. He replied that all the men in his family died before they were sixty. He'd already exceeded that and didn't want to tempt fate, if there was bad news he'd rather not know. He was an extremely self-contained person. Outside a couple of close friends and his family he was pretty much a loner. A consummate free-lancer, he'd been self-employed for at least thirty-years and never took on extra help even for big projects, of which he had several at present. He was also looking after his ailing mother. I wonder if the stress finally did for him.

Comment

Death

Condolences, AdC, that must be a terrible shock.

Comment

Death

Sympathies AdeC. Nothing helps much I'm afraid.

I heared recently of the death of a guy I was very close to when I lived in the UK. We had not been in touch for many years but I was looking forward to surprising him in January. It surprised me how affected I was.

Never be afraid to share on here. Many people on here have done so and found the support comforting myself included).

Comment

Death

sorry to hear about your friend AdeC.

Comment

Death

Ah hell, man. That's terrible news. I know it must sound weak, but hang in there.

You know, after someone dies, it seems to me that they continue to exist as patterns in the brains of people whose lives they've touched. So think of it this way: as long as you're still around, he's still around.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X