Rogin's quick Tuesday quiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. What links Salerno, Venice, Padua and Ephesus?

2. What links Stonewall (Texas), Yorba Linda (California), Grand Rapids (Michigan) and Simi Valley (California)?

3. What links St.Mary's (Scilly Isles), Salisbury (Wiltshire), Horsted Keynes (Sussex) and Alvediston (Wiltshire)?

2. Something to do with former Presidents. Birthplaces or Presidential Libraries?

Comment

What normally goes with Presidential Libraries? That'll link you to the answers for the other two, as well.

Comment

What were the answers then?

Comment

Ted heath lived in Salisbury
          Harold Wilson in Scilly
          Richard Nixon in Yorba Linda

Comment

3. Where the last Prime Ministers to die are buried.

2. Where the last Presidents to die are buried.

1. Dunno, Popes?

Comment

Stonewall Texas is LBJ, I think. Grand Rapids Michigan is Ford. Simi Valley must be Reagan.

That first one is tough to figure out. Ephesus was no longer a city by the time Venice and the others become city. Padua and Salerno both had medical schools in the middle ages, but Venice never did.

Comment

The reputed last resting places of the authors of the 4 gospels?

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:
                  That first one is tough to figure out. Ephesus was no longer a city by the time Venice and the others become city. Padua and Salerno both had medical schools in the middle ages, but Venice never did.
                  Padua dates to antiquity (Patavium to the Romans). Birthplace of Livy.

Dunno, though.

Comment

St Mark is in Venice (well, he's not, clearly, that was a nice state-building lie produced by a Doge about the body being stolen (er, recovered) from Alexandria).
                    St John, apparently, died and is buried in Ephesus.
                    St Luke's relics are in Padova. And Salerno claims to have St Matthew.

Comment

So reading up on this, Luke's tomb is in (Boeotian) Thebes. And apparently the fact/tradition of his relics having made their way to Padova had been largely forgotten (or perhaps never picked up in the first place) by the locals, though I don't see how that's possible really.

Anyway, some fascinating reading on it here with the caveat that it's the internet and could all be rubbish.

“While before investigation was begun it was thought, on the basis of historical data in our possession, that the relics of St. Luke were in Padua, the sum of the results of all the investigations allows us to say that this hypothesis is supported by a very high level of probability. Science never claims to be 100% sure, but we can nonetheless speak of a result which is very close to certitude.”

Comment

The whole think of saints' tombs/relics is interesting, because they used to define a city's importance in a lot of ways. And the Venetians, in particular, were a bunch of lying scum who'd pretend to have all kinds of relics with no basis whatsoever.

At least with St Mark, some Venetian mercenaries did actually come back with someone's bones from Alexandria. With some other saints, they didn't have anything at all, and still built the churches to house those relics.

Bari, where St Nicholas's relics are (take your kids to see the corpse of Santa Claus and make them cry!), used to be petrified that the Venetians would come and steal him.

Comment

Padova is famous for relics (and pilgrimages thereto), but it's St. Anthony who's there not St. Luke.

Comment

I take it you are disputing the linked article?

Comment

That came out wrong. I meant that Padova is *known* for being the resting place of Anthony, not Luke.

Although, that said, some of the evidence cited on that webpage sounds to me like it's up there with research on the Shroud of Turin.

Comment

I did say the reputed last resting places. I'd trust none of them as far as I could spit their sarcophogi.

Comment

Fair enough.

Remind me to invite you to my next expectorating-mummified-remains party.

Comment

I've been to the Nixon Library in Yorba Linda. Some hilariously biased presentations in there, though I believe that the exhibits have been redone and were overseen by a credible historian. They also have the house that Nixon grew up in. Absolutely tiny, and he lived in there with his four brothers and mother and father. If you've seen Oliver Stone's Nixon, you know his early life was not really a happy one, and two of his brothers died when they were really young. It was kind of...I don't really know how to describe it--humbling? sad?--to walk through the house and think about him and what he accomplished, and all of his failings and what he did to our country.

Comment

Working...
                                    X