Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are kids so fucked up?

Why on Earth... wrote:
    By the way, I don't understand why we always hear the loudest yelps for politeness on here among the people who call other people "cocks".
    Caricature.

Comment

(I so wanted it to be a straw man.)

Comment

cheeky fucker.

Comment

It's an allusion, is what it is. To Samuel Johnson.

TMK: I appreciate your measured response. I think you're reading it wrong, though. I'm distressed when, as with WOM, I piss someone off without remotely meaning to, but in this case I fully accept that "Straw man", all tout court like that, was a bit of an aggressive comment. I took strong issue with what Lodz seemed to be doing there, and still do.

So I can well understand why he found it annoying. But he's wrong to suppose it was an attempt to dodge the points he made. The people who doubt whether The Kids Today are worse than, say, our generation were--we aren't saying that The Kids Today should be indulged in whatever rotten stuff they do get up to. We simply aren't saying that. It's unhelpful and muddling, to put it charitably, to imply that we are.

Comment

It's an allusion, is what it is. To Samuel Johnson.

Now, that is a dodge. Well played.

Comment

The 1998 date for independent schools using corporal punishment says a lot about the Tories (presumably a deal with some backbench clowns not to make a fuss about the ban in state schools) but I'd be amazed if it was used in the 90s.
              An ex of mine went to a private school in London that was still caning pupils in the 90s. The head was a bit of a fanatic and often featured in the Evening Standard defending the policy. The school was run by a rather strange cult organisation, though, and most pupils' parents were involved with it. They used to read Sanskrit and put on strange plays a lot. Oh and my ex? Actually Toro's phrase 'paranoid lunatic' sums him up pretty perfectly. couldn't begin to sort out how the mad cult's influence could be blamed oer the caning's, though.

Comment

The Mighty Kubelgog!!! wrote:
                However their backgrounds are rather similar to mine. (indeed one is almost identical to in terms of background, and even a bit similar in appearance)

Comment

Firstly in the context of what I said, it doesn't really matter what you or I think, the most important thing here is that lodz is pissed off for some reason. In general If someone is offended by something you wrote, unless you meant it to offend, it's probably best to try and defuse the situation, rather than compound the offense caused by saying "but you are wrong, suck it up." (I know you didn't make the initial comment, but you might well have)

If someone is offended by the way they are told that they are wrong, yet you think that they're wrong, perhaps a better approach might be to defuse the situation, and carry on the argument.
                  All this is premised on the false notion that we are dealing with a sane and rational person, rather than somebody who thinks we are organised into gangs of accomplices with agendas for the express purposes of calling everyone he knows racists.

There are some people whom life is too short to try and avoid offending.

Comment

er, I was talking about in general. It really shouldn't matter about who you're talking about, unless you're looking to start yet another fight. I'm not sure if you're thinking about these things in a particularly healthy way. We're not living in 19th century kentucky.

Comment

I wasn'looking for a fight, Lodz clearly was. I was mocking him.

This was covered already, please try and keep up.

Comment

Haha, fuck off you rotten bastard. That's just mean.

Comment

jesus toro, I was watching the fourth series of the wire last night, and I feel like bunny colvin looking on slightly depressed as the corner kids explain the reason why they have to do some pointlessly destructive thing in response to some minor pointless affront: "Because you've gots to, It's the game yo!" as namond puts it.

heed the sage advice of marla daniels. "You can't lose if you don't play."

Comment

I don't think I did anything pointless or destructive. I told an idiot who had already launched an unprovoked attack on me to stop bleating when the normal argumentative standards of the board were applied to him.

If you want pointless, I think your continuing need to win an exchange (a) in which you are wrong, and (b) all the particulars of which have already been covered, is pointless. But that's why I love you, you big grotesque weirdo.

Comment

I think you're not getting my point. It's the feuding that's pointless and destructive, and a feud requires two sides to carry on. also my problem is with the term normal argumentative standards. I mean trying to keep a certain logical structure on discussions is important, but I'm not sure that it should be leading to huge heated personal rows on something like this topic.

Comment

You two have just orchestrated this whole thing to drive up your post count.

Comment

I have 23,631 posts between the old board and this. I'm not sure I need padding.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                                    You two have just orchestrated this whole thing to drive up your post count.
                                    Yeah.

Comment

Man, am I almost to 6000?

Comment

By the way, I don't understand why we always hear the loudest yelps for politeness on here among the people who call other people "cocks".
                                        The same way as being told to "fuck off" and being called a cunt apparently means that you are rabidly nasty, I suppose

Comment

....timing.

Comment

Bloody youth of today. Potty-mouths. You didn't use language like that in public when I was a lad or a friendly policeman would clip you around the ear and your Pa would back it up with a good thrashing with a coal shovel.

Great days - nobody committed crime or anything.

Comment

heh, It's because football is trivial nonsense, also most of the fun in following a football team is slagging off rival fans so different rules apply (kind of). People tend to be a lot more serious about what they talk about on World, and this is where the rows come from.
                                              See, I'm not sure about this. I think some people approach the dialogue on World in the same banter-y kind of way you approach it on football. And assume others should as well. Why should World be a morose place of sober discussion and Football a drunken free-for-all?

I find name-calling quite unpleasant, and I personally wouldn't brand a generally sober long-time poster as a "lunatic", even if they had recently gone quite OTT on a recent thread. People have bad days. Let no man cast, etc. etc.

But the odd "do better" (or equivalent) doesn't seem to me to be particularly uncivil even if it is delivered sharply, and nor does it strike me as being worthy of a lengthy spell of collective in-thread endoscopy (to which I fully admit contributing with this post).

Comment

Is Football a drunken free-for-all? See, because eerything is so depressing with my club(s) and I know fuck all about the premiership etc I don't go in there often but when I do I get the impression of lots & lots of people with vast knowledge & insight. whereas here it's all just chatter & conversation.

Comment

Why should World be a morose place of sober discussion and Football a drunken free-for-all?
                                                  This isn't a drunken free-for-all? Fuck

Comment

Working...
                                                  X