So, Madrid, Toledo (and possibly) Salamanca then,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...Thinking of doing a Friday to Monday in June or July. As I understand it Toledo is about an hour's train ride from Madrid. Is Salamanca doable by train in this Fiday to Monday timespan as well?

All tips, observations etc gratefully received.

Greetings from Madrid! ... Toledo is doable on a daytrip, but going to both there and Salamanca on a Fri-Mon stint in Madrid is a bit much. To be honest, here in Madrid I don't have anything to recommend that the guide books wouldn't, e.g. Prado / Reina Sofia / Plaza Mayor / Retiro / football stuff - enough to keep you occupied for a couple of days ... I've never actually been to Toledo, and I'm sure it's lovely, though Cordoba on the AVE would also be doable in a day trip, and the Mezquita/Great Mosque there is one thing certainly not to be missed in one's Spain experience ...

By all means feel free to PM me if you've any questions or you fancy a 'thon - I'll be here until 30th June at least ...

Comment

Cheers L. I'll be in touch once I've firmed up some dates. Spain play Sweden on 14/06...

Comment

If it's only Friday to Monday then a day trip to Toledo is barely worthwhile - it's not far but for such a small amount of time you'd be better of just focusing on Madrid, the galleries alone would suck up your time there let alone the night-life.
        I found it difficult to cover the two - having spent the day sightseeing, I was too whacked to get out at night, especially as nothing seems to happen before 10...

Comment

I would tend to agree. Toledo is enjoyable, but Madrid more so.

And if you have the cash to do it (the AVE can be expensive), Lodz's suggestion about Cordoba is dead on the money. One of the most amazing places in Europe.

Comment

Did I say 10? Make that midnight.

Comment

Cheers guys. What's the AVE?

Comment

High speed train, similar to France's TGV.

I'd recommend a half-day trip to Toledo (if not the bar by the depot), it's only an hour by train. Early morning best.

Fellow OTF-er Jon and I were reminiscing about Madrid the other day, over a cerveza while watching Chelsea-Liverpool. (My parents worked there for a couple of years in the late 70s).

Also recommended: churros (tube donuts) with hot chocolate for desayuno.

And to quote the great Rafael Benitez, remember to "keep fuckers".

Comment

Lodzubelieveit - Fancy meeting for the Spain v Italy game on Sunday night? Let me know when you've pm'd me and I'll send you my mobile number.

Comment

PM heading your way, G.

Comment

Replied Nm

Comment

Salamanca is doable and worth it. Lots of students from Europe (France, Germany) around. And if you want to feel like Don Quixote himself, go to Avila, which if memory serves right, was not far from Salamanca. I found the old town amazingly medieval.

And to round it off, go to El Escorial, which admittedly is a bit strange for all its pomp, but the interior decoration in all those corridors is marvellous.

Comment

Working...
                        X