• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft's Fear of a Black Poland

I ruined it, didn't I?

Comment

Nah. WOM and I ruined it.

Personally, like, I didn't know where else to go with the mouth thing. Maybe something will occur to me in my sleep.

Comment

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
        How do you know it wasn't just an updated edition of the photo, because they thought the guy in the middle was ugly or something? Why do you leap instantly to the conclusion that it appears you are trying to leap to?
        Well, you think you would maybe get another photo that wouldn't embroil you in this kind of situation (given that photoshopping black people out of photos goes way back - was it Ford who got in huge amounts of grief for it).

It is clear it is the same photo. If you don't like the campaign or the dude in the middle, you don't launch the campaign and you get another photo. You don't daub a different head on the same suit, same tie, same hand position to a picture. Especially when there can be any racial undertone perceived from it.

I am with Inca - it is a really dumb thing for microsoft to do in its perception of how markets behave to its promotion. Life would have been easier to do a different photo with three different people, if that is what they felt right. This approach is just foolish and lazy corporate strategy.

Comment

Sorry. I had to go. True Blood came on.

Comment

It could be that the original bloke asked to be removed because he was being portrayed across the globe having a really enjoyable time watching a PowerPoint presentation.

Comment

It's certainly a perception of the Polish market which has been shared by other multimationals.

this was in 1996

Comment

Amazing Inflatable Dog wrote:
                It could be that the original bloke asked to be removed because he was being portrayed across the globe having a really enjoyable time watching a PowerPoint presentation.
                Or they never paid his royalties....

Comment

They are now using the "original" photo on the Polish site.

Comment

'Software giant Microsoft has apologised for editing a photo to change a black man's head to that of a white man. The picture, showing employees sitting around a desk, appeared unaltered on the firm's US website. But on the website of its Polish business unit the black man's head was replaced with a white face, although the colour of his hands were unchanged. Microsoft said it had pulled the image and would be investigating who made the changes. It apologised for the gaffe' - The BBC Website.

Comment

"Gaffe" is not exactly the word I'd use to describe doctoring a photo.

Comment

(photo blocked)

Comment

As someone on PhotoshopDisasters pointed out, it seems that the laptop in front of the center guy is a Macbook with the Apple logo removed, and the monitor in front of the woman isn't plugged in.

Comment

In the governemnt depertment i work in, Black people are instrcuted by management not to walk around in more than groups of three so as not to, "intimidate the customers".

The customers are, "our brave boys".

We of course make a point to walk around in groups of 6 and 7 and sit in the canteen talking "jive" and laughing loudly at lunchtime.

Comment

Tactical Genius wrote:
                              The customers are "our brave boys".

We of course make a point to walk around in groups of 6 and 7 and sit in the canteen talking "jive" and laughing loudly at lunchtime.
                              Ha! Brilliant.

"It's alright, stewardess - I talk jive."

Comment

Tactical Genius wrote:
                                In the governemnt depertment i work in, Black people are instrcuted by management not to walk around in more than groups of three so as not to, "intimidate the customers".

The customers are, "our brave boys".

I be the customers would also like it if you spontaneously broke out into song and showed your natural rhythm by dancing.

Comment

heh, my flatmates say that most young western poles have no problem with black people, but mostly find them a bit exotic because there are just so few of them in poland. however there's enough people with problems with black people for microsoft to do that with the picture, and they can see why they did it.

Comment

Working...
                                  X