FAO Chief Constable, Derbyshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is what you do when a racist organisation wants to hold a rally on private land.

Not allow them to go ahead, and then place restrictions the counter-demonstration.

Same link twice there.

Comment

Fixèd!

Comment

Yeah, but that's why it's ingenious, innit?

[Bah...nudged out by a split second.]

Comment

Police are also planning to fly a drone fitted with cameras over the festival, which runs from 14-16 August.
          The fuck?! How long have they been doing this?

Comment

But to the topic at hand, I disagree with GP. I think one of the marks of an enlightened country is that it tolerates the airing, discussing and even celebrating of unpopular opinions rather than seeks to quash them outright. Having said that, it's perhaps true that some countries - such as Germany - have to be less tolerant of certain viewpoints due to somewhat recent political or ethno-cultural factors.

Comment

Here in the US we have a long history of tolerating a large area in the north, Canada, who like doing certain things "as they see fit"; and even though we could, and arguably should interfere, we choose not to and instead let them carry on with their little demonstrations ("parliament", socialized medicine, curling and so on). It's in the Bill of Rights after all.

Comment

SR: the police fly helicopters over music festivals as it is. I don't see a drone being much different, especially as the likelihood of violence is probably a fair bit higher at a BNP "festival" than at Glasto.

Comment

Yeah, but a helicopter over a music festival seems like it's there to ensure everyone's safety, etc, while a drone over a BNP rally seems like an intimidation tactic. And unless there's contact between the BNP and protestors, I don't know why there'd be any threat of violence amongst the BNP group.

Comment

Tell you what, I'm no fan of the BNP, but I reckon if a fucking unmanned craft is flying over your head taking pictures of you, you're within your rights to take pot-shots at it.

Comment

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                      Tell you what, I'm no fan of the BNP, but I reckon if a fucking unmanned craft is flying over your head taking pictures of you, you're within your rights to take pot-shots at it.
                      Or vice versa.....though we shouldn't give them ideas.
                      Ultimately though, if it pees off the BNP it's not so bad.

Videoing all & sundry at numerous football matches or demonstrations over the years, who are largely innocent, is a lot more questionable.

Comment

Exactly. I understand and sympathise with the objection, but it seemed an odd thing to express surprise at when the police have been surveilling demonstrations and public gatherings of all sorts for decades. And the whole more CCTV cameras than anywhere else in the world thing.

Comment

Well, you can't go taking pot-shots at manned helicopters. Someone might get hurt.

Comment

Working...
                          X