Making & Selling T-shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an idea for a T-shirt design which might be of interest to a small number of people and am wondering about the best way to get it to, uh, market. The sizes are difficult to predict and I don't want to get a bunch made up by a local printer which I might not sell. So, I've been looking at online services like Cafepress. Has anyone ever used this kind of thing before? Any pros, cons, for-God's-sake-don'ts?

I'm sad to see you've moved in to T-shirts and left behind our idea for making flowery dresses.

Comment

I've used them and always been happy with the results and quality.

The only thing I'll say is that you'll probably have to submit a vector graphic file if you want a more complicated design (such as one with cut-outs). If you don't have the software, you might have to ask a friendly graphic designer to originate the file.

Comment

I just banged up 60 of them for a charity fundraiser thing. Really easy to do using a local t-shirt supplier. We just sent them the finished artwork in a Photoshop file and they did the rest. A white graphic on black t-shirt, including set up and taxes was $6.85 (CDN) per shirt. Cost goes down with more and up with fewer. To do extra things (another colour, something on the sleeve or on back) drives the price up really quickly, as each 'pass' is another bit of labour.

BTW, I just signed up for a printmaking course that covers silkscreening t-shirts, too, so I'm excited by the prospect of doing a few of my own.

Comment

I'd like to learn how to do that. What sort of course is it?

Comment

General printmaking, through Toronto District School Board, in the evenings. They have thousands of cool continuing education courses. It's $180 for 10 weeks, and covers all kinds of printing, from lino on paper to silkscreening on fabric. I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

It's fun stuff, I took a free silkscreening course a few months ago.

The trick is to volunteer for an organization that is printing shirts and posters for an event, and voila, you have a free course.

Comment

I had a couple made up in a local shop a couple of years ago, and I wasn't too happy with the effect - a kind of glossy, stiff-feeling graphic. Maybe they used too much ink?

Comment

The online sales aspect of something like Cafepress is a big plus. I don't really want to go down the route of a big upfront payment and having potentially having a bunch of unsold t-shirts cluttering up the spare bedroom for months on end. Does anyone else do what Cafepress does?

Comment

Does anyone else do what Cafepress does?
                    I think Shirtcity does
                    http://www.shirtcity.com

Comment

Working...
                    X