End of the line for the Lite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The two freesheets over here were recently merged. One had been owned by the Daily Mail (which has been strenuously promoting its Irish edition for the last couple of years), the other by Tony O'Reilly's Indo group. The newly-merged effort is jointly owned by both.

I fucking hate these things, they're Fisher-Price versions of newspapers.

Comment

Now the Lite is to close down as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2009/oct/27/london-lite-associated-newspapers

Can't say I'll miss it. I wonder if the Standard will start charging again sometime next year.

Comment

They say 36 jobs are going. I assume that that doesn't include the distributors. Obviously they don't count...

Comment

Yeah, I was thinking that I'd seen more than 36 people standing around on street corners trying to give these things away.

Comment

I fucking hate these things, they're Fisher-Price versions of newspapers.

Bit unfair, in their field Fisher-Price make good quality products.

There are two transit papers available here. Both boil down to printed web-sites and with the growth of the portable internet their days must surely be numbered.

Comment

On the one hand, I find it hard to believe that you can run a daily newspaper with a circulation in the hundreds of thousands with 36 full time staff. On the other hand, I've read the London Lite, and I find it hard to believe they had 36 staff.

Comment

Working...
              X