Latvian History 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latvian History 101

So, I was reading the latest “History Today” and there’s the first in a series of articles about how interpretations of history have changed since the end of the Cold War in Europe. This month is Russia, East Germany next month, finishing with Finland.

There’s a bit of a primer before they get into the juicy historical meat which covers Riga’s Museum of the Occupation of Latvia 1940-91 which sounds like a brilliant thing. Covering both the Nazi & Soviet invasions and (guess what) occupations it apparently tries to bring out the similarities in the two systems and is on the list of places visiting foreign dignitaries are dragged round.

All good so far. But where I find this really heartwarming and really not creeped out like Ben Goldacre might say, is that amongst the exhibits are photos of Latvian crowds welcoming the German troops and stuff detailing how the Latvian police helped round up Jewish people to expedite the Holocaust because the director, a Gundega Michel, wants the museum to present history as research says it is, not as ideology wants it to be. And part of this is the effect history has on ordinary people.

What’s more he deflects criticism of the museum being “too wordy” by saying (and I’d love to quote direct, but I’m going on memory) that complex issues aren’t just black and white and so shouldn’t be presented as such.

I’m really impressed that despite it obviously being a tool of nation-building, this museum isn’t scared to say that this, if you like, oppressed people, has blood on its hands too. I don’t half find that inspiring.

What’s much less inspiring is that I was in Riga about four years ago for a stag do and didn’t go. I didn’t know it was there to be fair, but I didn’t do my usual museum-scouting and I’m now very ticked off about it.

Latvian History 101

I came into this thread to make a joke about Dr. Doom, but now feel really guilty as this is a really good post.

I'll save it for the next time Ganja mentions Moldova.

Interesting stuff man; I'll have to look it up.

Comment

Latvian History 101

if the choice's between nazi germany and soviets as your occupants it's a really lose-lose situation. even living near the exact place when WWII started (phat 'celebration' of 70th anniversary coming to town in just couple of days) and still kind of understand Latvian people welcoming german troops.

Comment

Latvian History 101

Well, it appears there's been some kind of mistake and the Soviets/Russians never occupied Latvia at all.

History Today's article about history in Russia since the Cold War warns us about this type of thing...

Comment

Latvian History 101

I went to that museum a couple of years ago, it's a very good museum. thanks for the info here.

Comment

Latvian History 101

End of chapter 3 of Geert Mak's "In Europe" is your 101 on Baltic history.

The entire book (I'm in chapter 4 now) is a gem btw.

Comment

Latvian History 101

I had a similar warm feeling last time I went to the (unpromisingly-named) Imperial War Museum in London, and found that their exhibition on the evacuation of children in WWII included oral and written testimony not only from the UK but also from the USSR and, yes, Germany.

It's good to get occasional reminders that we humans are capable of being decent, generous and truthful.

Comment

Latvian History 101

I was there a few years ago and remember going to the museum,it's got a simulation of one of the gulag camps too, worth looking at if you've read any Solzhenitsyn and tried to imagine what that must've been like.

I also recall going to a village on the outskirts of Riga which contains houses from the 17th-18th century, good insight to see what conditions would have been like in rural Latvia in those times.

Comment

Working...
                X