EIM, the jobs you don't want.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come with me to Norway. I was looking into it a year ago, and am again now.

The country is a Klondyke, it's one of the richest countries in the world, and not very far from home.

A mate of mine was sacked from down-hill driven Volvo, he was working a forklift. He got a job in Norway being basically company, no nursing, to a handicap man. His first pay, for five weeks was 44,000 (after tax) Norwegian kr. That's £4400.

Mind, the country is extremely expensive. A pack of fags, a beer and a pizza will cost you £25-30, but if you can take one year just making money, not spending it, and instead of being out drinking most of the time you're home writing, you'd (a) get a shitload of money doing the simplest of jobs (b) and this will play high on your CV, you have worked abroad, which will always impress anyone out to hire back home.

I know you don't want to work as a barman the rest of your life, but I think you could clinch a job quite easily working as one (or bar manager) in Norway, earning silly money.

I don’t know if you’re still with that girl and that complicates things, but if you’re not, by Zeus, this is not a bad move I’m suggesting.

I have not details to provide right now for you about English coming to Norway to work. The country is not a EU member (see the smart and the rich staying out of that shite?).
    As a Swedish citizen, I’d pay 23% tax the first year. Imagine that.
    And half of November is tax free.

I’m serious, EIM, you’re stuck in the middle of nowhere as far as I read, maybe this is a temporary move you could consider.

Let’s go make Oslo unsafe together.

PM me if you want to stay in touch about it.

Oh, and regarding the jobs you don’t want.
    I was looking through a Norway job search engine, where “political advisor” came up.
    What the hell does a political advisor do?
    Beyond kiss loads of arse?

Comment

I looked for jobs in Norway. Couldn't find a single fucking one that didn't require fluency in Norwegian. So it might not be the best fucking suggestion in the world eh.

Comment

Sorry. I'm furious about something else. sorry. point stands but rudeness is apologised for.

Comment

Erm... I wouldn't suggest EIM packs his bags and goes to Norway just like that, unless I knew he had a chance, and I've offered help, not saying he should travel by chance, misfortune and great escape like Don Corleone was sent on an Atlantic boat.

Comment

Lyra wrote:
            Sorry. I'm furious about something else. sorry. point stands but rudeness is apologised for.
            Depends on the job.
            If you want to be translating films from one language to another, yeah, it would be pretty obvious that you should know Norwegian.
            If you're going to be a cancer victim advisor, yeah, it would be kind of grand if you could deliver the misery in their native language, but working as a barman, putting roofs up, laying bricks, getting twice the pay to ride a bloody lawn mower....

Comment

I'd quite like to be a political adviser. I'd just sit there and occasionally say "Don't do that" if my tame politician came up with a policy. Happy days.

Comment

Lyra, what kind of jobs were you looking for?

Try this (one of the good Norway members of this board linked me to it)

http://www.nav.no/page?id=805312736

Comment

Oh, and Lyra, maybe I can help?

Comment

pebblethefish wrote:
                    I'd quite like to be a political adviser. I'd just sit there and occasionally say "Don't do that" if my tame politician came up with a policy. Happy days.
                    Bolshevik!

Comment

Anybody can work in Svalbard without a visa of any kind. I was there last week. There a loads of Thais there. And there's an Iranian whose wife and kids live in mainland Norway, but his visa was rejected. So he opened up the world's most northern kebab van in Svalbard. He's raking it in at 80 NOK (10 euros?) a kebab.

Comment

EIM, are you listening to this?
                        Do you know how many Manchester United fans there are in Norway?
                        Do you know how popular anything you open might become?
                        We'll open up the first fish'n'chip shop in the land of cod and with a whatever scarf of your choice on your side of the shop, then an AC Milan on my side, we’ll be sat across the road in our little tavern (god, how I love that word) looking over it like the big boss in Goodfellas looked over his business…

Comment

I have a bloke offered me 12,000 euro to get pizza shredded cheese delivery from Sweden to Norway.
                          Yes, 12000, not 1200!
                          Everything’s so expensive up there, and you can’t take it across the border like it’s legal, if they catch you, there’s a fine, yet crossing the border is hardly South to North Korea, more like Scotland/England

Comment

Fuck it. Why not?

Comment

I paid 8 euros for yoghurt and croissants at Oslo airport.

Speaking of prices, Pågen Kanelbullar are cheaper at IKEA Amsterdam than ICA Lund, go figure.

Comment

EIM, I'm not trying to scam you into anything.

Look, I'm venturing there myself, there's a slim chance we'll end up working together, all I'm offering is that what I learn I can pass on to you, and if you're truly interested, if I'm checking up on the conditions for a Swede to work there, I might as well check up on the same shite for a Brit, if you really might consider it.

Comment

I didn't think you were trying to scam me.

Comment

EIM, as a bartender, you could find a job there tomorrow, and earn 30-50% more than you have so far.
                                    You'd be on a pay like you were selling Aston Martin's, and getting free shots from fit looking women at a Tuppaware party out in town.

Comment

Bahiryan wrote:
                                      I paid 8 euros for yoghurt and croissants at Oslo airport.

Speaking of prices, Pågen Kanelbullar are cheaper at IKEA Amsterdam than ICA Lund, go figure.
                                      And Pågen are Swedish!

Comment

EIM, get off the Manwar IV or whatever the fuck you're on, on the PS3, and get to this thread. I've seen so many jobs that you could nick in a heartbeat.

What?
                                        You don't want to shag fit wimmin from Norway and get paid loads of cash?

Comment

Ole Gunnar is calling you, EIM

Comment

Captain Beirut III wrote:
                                            I have a bloke offered me 12,000 euro to get pizza shredded cheese delivery from Sweden to Norway.
                                            Yes, 12000, not 1200!
                                            Everything’s so expensive up there, and you can’t take it across the border like it’s legal, if they catch you, there’s a fine, yet crossing the border is hardly South to North Korea, more like Scotland/England
                                            "Motherfucker, is you making Internet plans for a criminal fucking conspiracy?"

Comment

Croatian homophobic Nazi ones about cheese, that's me. I'm not going with cheese that isn't against homosexuals and which isn't from 1930's Nazi Germany!

Fucking try to get hold of that kind of cheese, when it's all bloody fucked, but I'll adventure.... and give me a medal when I'm there

Comment

Um, hello.

I banned myself from OTF this year, but of course I had to go back and take a peek and so this thread caught my attention.

Don't know what happened to your relocation plans, but I just want to say - if there's anything I can do to help any of you, just let me know (e-mail: pj_bakke@hotmail.com).

And (incidentally, this applies to all the good people of OTF), there's always a bed for you at Casa Katz if you want to come over and check things out. I recently split up with Mrs Katz and I have the kids every other week, meaning that there's plenty of room here when they're not here.

Come over, it'll be fun!

Comment

Sorry to hear that Otto.

I would absolutely love to live in Norway if I could find a job. I even speak a little Norsk.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X