Sod off Ryanair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sod off Ryanair

Dunc - Jet2 and easyjet don't fly to Dublin at all, BMIbaby only do from Edinburgh, Cardiff, or London, none of which is a whole lot of use to me.

Aer Lingus fly from Manchester - it's a bit cheaper, especially if taking luggage, but that's offset by the extra time and expense of getting to Manchester.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Munchkin wrote:
      The 3 times I've been there this year that quicker boat hasn't been running, just the slow one
      See previous answer.

And the former (& connections ex.London) wasn't even advertised when crossing 3 weeks ago!
      It's advertised in the timetable for Irish Ferries.

Mark Smith (seat61.com) doesn't recommend it on his site. Fair enough- but it still normally runs, and the days on which it doesn't are normally fairly predictable, and not in July.

Of course travelling from England and Wales to Dublin you can't guarantee getting there by 2pm rather than 6pm on the slower service. But you

a) normally do so on the Swift, while

b) save hanging about at or travelling to an airport for two or three hours, and

c) pay no more on the day of travel than three months in advance.

Toro- while I understand the frustration of having to travel to Ringway rather than Leeds/ Bradford (to play Aer Lingus to Dublin), I doubt the extra cost or time is quite as insane as you suggest.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Leeds to Manchester airport takes a little over an hour on the train - which is a good deal quicker than most London airports are from where most London people actually live.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Yes, but that's nearly a doubling of my travel-time. Given that I usually travel fairly light, without baggage, and that I've usually booked well in advance, the train fare also adds a substantial portion of the total cost.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

what i paid to go fly Manc to Dublin last month:

£8 fare
            £10 debit card processing fee

£10 !!!!

fuckers

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Why not think of '£18' total?

I like Ryanair. Cheap. Shit service, dont care. They fly from Bournemouth. They go to weird airports. All good.

I can get to Malaga for £50 allin, or £66 with a suitcase.

If I fly with the next 3 leading airlines from my area to Malaga, it costs £145, £190 and £238 return.

I will gladly put up with being treated like a twat for 2.5 hours, to save (for me) serious amounts of cash, thanks.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                Munchkin wrote:
                The 3 times I've been there this year that quicker boat hasn't been running, just the slow one
                See previous answer.

And the former (& connections ex.London) wasn't even advertised when crossing 3 weeks ago!
                It's advertised in the timetable for Irish Ferries.

Of course travelling from England and Wales to Dublin you can't guarantee getting there by 2pm rather than 6pm on the slower service. But you

a) normally do so on the Swift, while

b) save hanging about at or travelling to an airport for two or three hours, and

c) pay no more on the day of travel than three months in advance.
                It may well be. And not on seat61.com.

But I was talking about travelling from SE Eng. where Irish Ferries are conspicious by their silence!
                And of course if you take a boat, you won't undergo the same time-consuming security checks, though these have tightened up considerably recently.

As for buying on the day of travel, unless you local station happens to be Euston it's not exactly easy, if not impossible. As with buying/reserving online.
                Which is to the detriment of the cretins who run train'companies'.

Going back to Ryanair, just think of them as a glorified bus service.
                Bring your own food & drink on board (until they ban it!) and you're away, of sorts.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

I thought Flybe weren't too bad, until we went to Newquay; we checked in online, and then couldn't find a printer to bash out the boarding papers. They cvharged us 10 quid to issue them again, the fucks. We were then shaken down by Newquay airport, where we paid a 'development fee' (purchased from the same sort of machines you get at car parks) which was mandatory in order to pass through to the gate. Why don't they just add it on at the point of purchasing the bloody flight? (the same goes for Christchurch Airport in NZ, shaking down fucks).

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Munchkin wrote:
                    But I was talking about travelling from SE Eng. where Irish Ferries are conspicious by their silence!

As for buying on the day of travel, unless you local station happens to be Euston it's not exactly easy, if not impossible. As with buying/reserving online. Which is to the detriment of the cretins who run train'companies'.
                    Irish Ferries website and current timetable is readable Worldwide. You don't need to call them direct as the British, NI and RoI rail systems all sell through tickets as below. On these routes at least their services are straightforward and good value.

Any staffed station in Britain can sell you a ticket to any station in Ireland (and vice-versa). Right up to the day of travel. I bought mine last at Lye (which most people in nearby Birmingham let alone Belfast will barely have heard of).

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Bring your own food & drink on board

You're only allowed up to 100ml of liquids in your hand luggage. That's an awfully small drink.

I will gladly put up with being treated like a twat for 2.5 hours, to save (for me) serious amounts of cash, thanks.

That's personal preference of course, but I just can't do budget airlines anymore, they're far too bad for my blood pressure. Quite apart from the endless extra charges, Ryanair seem to take great joy in treating their customers like shite and easyJet are monumentally fucking incompetent - the only two times I've been stranded at an airport because of an airline's mistake, it was of easyJet's doing.

Oh aye, and budget airlines are also responsible for blatant airport mislabelling such as:

"Milan (Bergamo)" - Bergamo airport is closer to Switzerland than it is to Milan, fact fans.

"Glasgow (Prestwick)" - Prestwick is a bleak ex-RAF base stuck out in the wilds of Ayrshire, connected to Glasgow by a chronically slow train service. In real terms, Edinburgh airport serves Glasgow better than Prestwick does.

"Stockholm (Vasteras)" - Vasteras airport is a shed by Lake Malaren. The only way to actually get to Stockholm (70 miles away) is by bus. Convenient!

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Oh aye, and budget airlines are also responsible for blatant airport mislabelling such as
                        don't think that budget airlines have so much power to name airports. airports do it themselves i reckon although i agree some of the are very misleading, like:

Frankfurt/Hahn - 130 kms from Frankfurt, this might be some kind of a record. Hahn is much closer to Luxembourg actually than to Frankfurt.

Charleroi/Brussels - over hour from Bruxelles by car if you're lucky.

both low-fare 'Barcelona airports' (Girona on the north and Reus on the south) - sth like 1,5 hour by car from the city itself.

but personally i have nothing against low-fare airlines. wouldn't be able to travel at all if it wasn't for ryanair, easyjest, wizzair etc.

there's nothing wrong with checking where the actual airport is. thinking Hahn is anywhere close to Frankfurt just by the name of the airport sounds like believing tv commercials about corn flakes or washing powder.

in fact i have a theory that ryanair runs the flights with a loss and earns on everything else. that their flights is just a pretext to rent cars through hertz, charge people with their help desk costing couple of euro a minute, selling their holidays to the naive etc.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

blameless wrote:
                          "Glasgow (Prestwick)" - Prestwick is a bleak ex-RAF base stuck out in the wilds of Ayrshire, connected to Glasgow by a chronically slow train service. In real terms, Edinburgh airport serves Glasgow better than Prestwick does
                          Heard about the airport where nothing happens? It's in Ayrshire...

Prestwick (which is basically a suburb of the larger town of Ayr) has a station in the airport itself. Which I found convenient enough to get into Glasgow centre.

Abbotsinch and Tunrhouse are reliant on buses and taxis into town, are they not?

Those nice people at easyjet fly to Krakow airport only 10km from the city, I'm pleased to say.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Düsseldorf-Weeze is another one - a former RAF base near the Dutch border, more than an hour from Düsseldorf by Regional Express. It's nearer to Krefeld, and even Duisburg.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

However far Prestwick may be from Glasgow, that's still nothing compared to Ryanair claiming it was in London...

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                                Munchkin wrote:

As for buying on the day of travel, unless you local station happens to be Euston it's not exactly easy, if not impossible. As with buying/reserving online. Which is to the detriment of the cretins who run train'companies'.
                                Irish Ferries website and current timetable is readable Worldwide. You don't need to call them direct as the British, NI and RoI rail systems all sell through tickets as below. On these routes at least their services are straightforward and good value.

Any staffed station in Britain can sell you a ticket to any station in Ireland (and vice-versa). Right up to the day of travel. I bought mine last at Lye (which most people in nearby Birmingham let alone Belfast will barely have heard of).
                                Not in that London.

A Virgin spokesperson took great pride in telling me they were 'only available from Euston(or guessing other mainline stations) for security issues'.
                                And when I last called Irish Ferries to enquire about buying a ticket, they suggested Virgin, if I was travelling from London....
                                So ticket purchase sadly is less universally straightforward than you suggest.
                                I blame the Tories.

Finally because of seat reservations, if travelling on any sort of peak service you need to buy in advance, or you won't get a seat.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                                  It's in Ayrshire...
                                  Finally a subject, you know something about!

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Frankfurt/Hahn - 130 kms from Frankfurt, this might be some kind of a record. Hahn is much closer to Luxembourg actually than to Frankfurt.
                                    Reus, which Ryanair advertise as a Barcelona airport, is over 100km from the city. I had to get a taxi there once and it cost me Eu130.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Munchkin wrote:
                                      Not in that London.

A Virgin spokesperson took great pride in telling me they were 'only available from Euston(or guessing other mainline stations) for security issues'.
                                      And when I last called Irish Ferries to enquire about buying a ticket, they suggested Virgin, if I was travelling from London....
                                      I blame the Tories
                                      You and your proud spokesperson are simply wrong. The tickets are buyable at any staffed railway station with a computer, basically all of them. Like the suburban village station I buy mine at as above.

As you mentioned above (and was covered in the media this week), railway staff have a reputation for misinformation (both careless and malicious). But gently persist and they'll sell you the ticket.

It's got nothing to do with the Tories.

Finally because of seat reservations, if travelling on any sort of peak service you need to buy in advance, or you won't get a seat
                                      Peak service on most rail journeys in Britain means invariably morning and evening five days a week, often adding Fridays, August weekends etc. There is no premium on any of these journeys (except at Xmas and maybe Easter) on the Ireland services.

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

Duncan Gardner wrote:
                                        Munchkin wrote:
                                        Not in that London.

I blame the Tories
                                        You and your proud spokesperson are simply wrong. The tickets are buyable at any staffed railway station with a computer, basically all of them. Like the suburban village station I buy mine at as above.

As you mentioned above (and was covered in the media this week), railway staff have a reputation for misinformation (both careless and malicious). But gently persist and they'll sell you the ticket.

It's got nothing to do with the Tories.

Finally because of seat reservations, if travelling on any sort of peak service you need to buy in advance, or you won't get a seat
                                        Peak service on most rail journeys in Britain means invariably morning and evening five days a week, often adding Fridays, August weekends etc. There is no premium on any of these journeys (except at Xmas and maybe Easter) on the Ireland services.
                                        Much as that idea is eminently sensible, it doesn't * happen as you suggest, sadly. Computer or no.

Again, as per buying tickets in advance, if you want a seat at peak times, you have to buy your ticket, 'at least 4 hrs.in advance', according to our friends at Virgin.
                                        And no-one mentioned a 'premium'.

I still blame the Tories....

Why not just accept that's my experience*? It's certainly not convenient!

Comment

Sod off Ryanair

bovril wrote:
                                          what i paid to go fly Manc to Dublin last month:

£8 fare
                                          £10 debit card processing fee

£10 !!!!

fuckers
                                          Why not take a cab the next time?

Comment

Sod off indeed.

Bastards

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...dvert-12207167

Ryanair launch "jab and go" ad campaign

Comment

Credit where it's due, that's some damn fine thread bumping Guy Profumo...

Comment

It's called google search, so I don't create a new thread for an existing topic

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                                  It's called google search, so I don't create a new thread for an existing topic

It's so annoying when people do that, isn't it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X