So, Croatia, then.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Croatia, then.

Or Istria to be precise. After weeks of indecision, m'wife and I have decided to drive down to Croatia for a couple of weeks, starting on Monday.

We haven't been there before, so the usual drill: does anyone here know anything about the place, what to do, what to eat. All suggestions gratefully received.

Imas preporuki, Ganja? (he said, nervously consulting his phrase book).

So, Croatia, then.

Rovinj is nice for a visit. You can get a hydrofoil across to Venice for the day as well.

We stayed in Opatija for a couple of weeks in 2005. End of season and it stormed almost non-stop. Bit too much concrete for my liking, and Rijeka round the coast is not worth a stop.

Best places we visited (other than Rovinj/Venice) were the Plitvice Lakes, but that's a fair drive away from the north, and a day trip to Bled across the border in Slovenia.

I'd like to go back to Croatia, try the south and the islands. Fascinating country, but the reminders of the war (particularly in the south) left me with an uneasy feeling - like we were dancing on graves, however silly that sounds.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Thanks, Crusoe, that sounds interesting. We'll be going through Slovenia on the way down so we might have a look at Bled. Venice sounds like a good idea too.

It'll be weird going to a country where they've had a war in recent memory but I'm sort of used to that kind of thing: my house is a couple of hundred yards from the old Nato/Warsaw Pact border and many of my current trips to the shops would have cost you a bullet in the back not so long ago.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Just to let you know that I've seen this Alderman, you did great with the phrase book

I'll fill you in as much as I can, but will it be OK if I send it Sunday, as I'm perparing for a bachelor party taking place tomorrow.

Couple questions meanwhile

Do you have a place to stay, accomodation set?

Are you going to one place, Opatija maybe, to used as a hub or intend to do a road trip through Istra?

I'll get back to you. I've written a note and put on the desk to respond come Sunday, but bump the thread just in case.

Meanwhile, you need to see NK Rijeka play at one of the most amazing stadiums in the world.

Their supporters, Armada, is the third biggest supporter group in Croatia.

Just look at that stadium and tell me you don't want to see a game there.

They're currently second in the league three rounds into the season.

If you can make it there on Sunday 23 of August, and the missus will not give you a bollocking for thinking football, you will have one hell of a game to watch, as they take on Hajduk Split. It can't get much bigger than that, only Dinamo-Hajduk is bigger.

Soccerway link with fictures for 1. HNL

http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4473/20070218ridi236zk8.jpg

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Thanks! We're staying in Rabac and with a small kid in tow, probably won't be straying too far from there.

That stadium in Rijeka looks fantastic, but I think I'll have to settle for watching it on TV.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

I'm thinking of taking a quick trip to Croatia at the end of the month. I want to stay in Split so that's one part taken care of but I would also like to visit one of the islands maybe Hvar or Vis?

Does anyone have any recommendations? Sadly the best deal on flights would mean that I only have 3 nights.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Haven't been in ages, but have very fond memories of both Hvar and Korcula.

This recentish thread on Croatia may also be of some use.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Burek washed down with Croatian red wine. Strukli for desert.

Repeat as necessary.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

So, resurrecting this as en famille Education plus extended family are thinking of going to Croatia. As children range from 1 to 15, we aren't looking for a city-break (although some culture and wandering around would be nice) and we are obviously probably not ideal for any island-hopping unfortunately. 10 days to 2 weeks at the beach for swimming etc in July/August with interesting town/city within walking distance to potter around when it gets too hot/we need a change. Resorts aren't out of the question but some sort of villa with a pool would be ideal.

Any ideas?

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

I think Rogin was in Istria recently if you need tips for that end of the coast.

Somewhere around Split sounds like what you might be looking for, or alternatively Cavtat, which is near to Dubrovnik for yer town/city diversion would be good.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

We went to Pula last year. Loved it.

You want sightseeing? Try this place.

Inspired, we're going to Dubrovnik in May, and staying for a couple of nights in Lapad, which we're told is a short bus ride to the old town. Dubrovnik's pretty pricey, so once we've done the sightseeing bit we're going here for the rest of the week,

which is about 30 miles down the coast in Herceg Novi, in Montenegro. It costs €40 in a taxi to get there from Dubrovnik (I can PM you the details of the taxi firm we've pre-booked with), but it's €50 a night not €100 a night like Lapad.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

That would be great.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Went with the now MRs KGR on our first holiday together back in 2003. Loved it there.

Echo Crusoe's nod to Plitvice Lakes. Beautiful. Though weird travelling by bus through villages with destroyed houses on the way.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Eat Burek straight from the greasy paper.

Highly recommended.

Comment

So, Croatia, then.

Many moons ago (very late 80s, it was still Yugoslavia) we did a package holiday, with Yugotours, to Rovinj. It's a lovely Venetian town, with hotels n villas, history, monuments, beaches, rocky coves, trips to nearby small islands, good food.

When we were there it still had a cinema like the one in Cinema Paradiso, where we watched (iirc) De Niro in Midnight Run.

Comment

Working...
                              X