No announcement yet.

It's Flying Ants Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very striking flying ant phenomena in our garden today (Cambridge).

Comment

Today's the day here in Cumbria.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocturnal Submission View Post
        Hello! They're off again. We don't usually get more than one FAD each year, do we?
        It happens on more than one day in most places, yes. And on different days in different places as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post

It happens on more than one day in most places, yes. And on different days in different places as well.

There's absolutely no romance in your soul, is there.

Comment

I find truth to be romantic.

Comment

And you have no soul...

Comment

There is that.

Comment

Do youse in the UK still get Daddy Long-legs / Crane Fly Days? Autumn, IIRC.

Comment

I'm not sure if I've ever seen more than one daddy long-legs at a time. I suspect that there can only ever be one, and if the one gets killed, then another (more mundane) fly gets called up to be the new daddy long-legs, with the resultant super-powers of haphazard flying and general disorientation.

Comment

Apparently it's flying sycamore seeds day. Actually got hit by one on my way to work, and the footpath was carpeted with them.
                      Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 04-05-2022, 08:14.

Comment

Forgot to mention that it was flying ants day on Thursday in Harrow.

Comment

Yep, saw a flock (?) near Southampton on Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by Nurse Duckett View Post
                            Yep, saw a flock (?) near Southampton on Thursday.
                            I think swarm is the usual team.

I've seen quite a lot around today.

Comment

I've seen none this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post

I think swarm is the usual team.
                                That's the one! Ta.

Comment

It's a whoop, a whoop of gorillas. It's a flange of baboons.

Comment

It was Sunday in our back garden.

Comment

They were out and about round here last night.

Comment

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                                        It was Sunday in our back garden.
                                        It was probably Sunday everywhere else too.

Comment

I saw one today…

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post

It was probably Sunday everywhere else too.
                                            https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Date_Line

Comment

Originally posted by TonTon View Post
                                              I can't believe this daft thread that annoys me every year is still going even after TonTon settled this "flying ants day" nonsense two years ago. Here's what the Royal Society of Biology has to say about it:

One of the primary findings from the survey was that there is certainly not only one flying ant day; the frequency in which the flying ants appear changes each year and is dependent on the weather.

Colonies also don't exhibit any significant geographical co-ordination when it comes to taking to the skies; one garden may see flying ants on one day, with neighbours seeing them weeks or even months later.

Our survey found that there is often not just one flying ant day but on as many as 96% of days between the start of June and the start of September flying ants are spotted.

Comment

So it is not just me

Comment

I finally had to get it off my chest

Comment

For Brighton station, it was yesterday. The flying ants of other parts of Brighton clearly regard the station area ants as weird, off-the-wall iconoclasts as they were staying firmly grounded everywhere else that I went to in the town.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X