It's Flying Ants Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Flying Ants Day

Well, it is up in Cov anyhoo. Every year, if you're lucky enough to have an ant colony nearby there's always ONE DAY where you see the winged ones emerge & take flight, whilst the wingless ones scuttle en masse around looking busy (presumably as a prelude to their death) and it always seems to happen in one day of the year, like there's some species-wide hivemindedness going on. Am I imagining this? Strolling my neighbourhood this afternoon it was clear that the amount of the fuckers in people's hair, flying in your face, getting inside cars was way too many just to be accounted for by the swarm coming out the brickwork down my front path. So what's the deal? Is there one day where every antnest in the country decides it's time to fly off? Is this a city-wide or a nationwide phenom - do different bits of the country have different flying-ant days? And does the extremely damp summer we're having portend some kind of massive spider/cranefly population explosion this autumn? Any entomological guidance much appreciated. I can't stand insects. At the moment I'm huddled indoors with all the windows shut trying to make my skin stop crawling.

It's Flying Ants Day

Heh. I was going to post the same thing this morning, but forgot. The ant colony by my bus stop was sprouting many winged ants today. One of them seemed to have a deformed wing and was wandering around forlornly while the other were all taking off to fulfil their destiny.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Ant Day in Barnsley too.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Same down here in Surrey/Hampshire. It only happened this afternoon, once it got warm and really humid.

GY, that one you saw with a deformed wing - are you sure it wasn't in the process of shedding it? It always makes me wonder why they bother having wings at all, if they're only going to fly about 50yds with them, then land and shed them!

Neil - I don't think there is one single day, as I've encountered 'ant wedding days' in different areas at different times in the same year. I think it's entirely down to the local weather, i.e. warm, still-ish and humid.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Yeah, I think you had your Ant Wedding day in London a few weeks ago. But I'm guessing it still has to be 'coordinated' over a wide geographical area to make mating/breeding successful - which begs the question how do they know what the weather's gonna be like? It was pissing it down in Cov this morning.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

A very half-hearted one in Harrow. They seemed as interested as that utterly fucking useless team from Moscow.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

There are serious swarms down in Bournemouth. But this is the second time this year.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Neil Kulkarni wrote:
                Yeah, I think you had your Ant Wedding day in London a few weeks ago. But I'm guessing it still has to be 'coordinated' over a wide geographical area to make mating/breeding successful - which begs the question how do they know what the weather's gonna be like? It was pissing it down in Cov this morning.
                I'm not sure how wide an area one colony can spread across for mating purposes. I wouldn't think it was that large.

As for the weather thing, that's a good question. I would surmise that it's to do with atmospheric pressure. I imagine they've got a built-in natural 'barometer' and they can detect the rising pressure. They don't get it right every time, though - I've seen some 'wedding days' devastated by a sudden summer shower/storm.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Day Of The Giant Ants down here in B&H as well. First properly hot day for weeks, so I guess they snatch the opportunity when it comes...

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

They really mess up your windscreen. Right now, there's just a few winged ones crawling around amidst the wingless ones down my path - are they unwilling teenage stay-at-homes or visiting philanderers being checked before gaining access to the queen? There's also one wierd, red/orange fucker out'n'about - who's s/he?

I'm actually feeling rather smug at my zen forbearance of the ol' invertebrate-deathcull this day normally kicks off. All about twitching curtains y'see - back as a nipper at my mums her nest was in the back garden so I'd have real shameless sadistic relish sending the whole lot to a hot speedy death. At my house the nest is out the front and I'm not sure I want my neighbours seeing just how gleeful I can get when I've got a boiling kettle in my hand and that glint in my eye. That and the fact I now have to love and protect all living creatures I encounter cos the kids are usually watching and I don't want them turning into serial killers.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Flying Ants Day in Bath as well.

No bloody balmy summer's day though

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Red Hot Flying Ant Day chat

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Why do they bother? Croydon has them as well.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

All questions answered by that link BofE, cheers. Like that all the winged ones are female duh god I'm a dipshit. My wife snorted 'Of course they are you silly sod' as I related her this revelation.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Down in the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames it was ant day the week before last. And it set me a-wond'rin': Whatever happened to red ants? Have they gone the way of 7-spot ladybirds? When I was a kid in East Anglia the ratio of red:black ants' nests was about 4:1 in favour of black. Has there been a general settling of formic scores?

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Purves Grundy wrote:
                                Down in the Royal Borough of Kingston Upon Thames it was ant day the week before last. And it set me a-wond'rin': Whatever happened to red ants? Have they gone the way of 7-spot ladybirds? When I was a kid in East Anglia the ratio of red:black ants' nests was about 4:1 in favour of black. Has there been a general settling of formic scores?
                                Good point. In my childhood I thought the red ones were taking over, as they were so much more aggressive. We had colonies of each in our back garden and if they ever chanced across each other there would be 'battles' between the rival nests. The reds invariably seemed to win, despite being smaller. They were just more vicious.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Yep, same here in Southampton. They were starting to swarm outside our house at about 9am.

Sadly, my first reaction was also "where's the kettle" but I restrained myself. I'm normally fairly tolerant of other creatures (humans, not so much).

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

A few years ago we had an ant farm. We populated it with some ants from just outside the back door. They seemed to be doing well. A few days later my daughter decided to introduce a few ants from further down the garden. Chaos ensued, ants were fighting all over the farm. It was like a wild west film when fighting breaks out in a saloon, there were about 20 separate little fights going on until there were only about 3 or 4 ants left alive.

Such is life.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

What are you people talking about????

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Lodzubelieveit wrote:
                                        What are you people talking about????
                                        (Shhh - no-one tell Lodz we're helping the ants take over!)

-

-

"I, for one..."

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Scientists say "It's a myth". And then go to show that it sort of isn't really...

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

The scientists do not say "It's a myth". That is the BBC's contraction, which is actually not a contraction but a misrepresentation.
                                            What he actually says is "Although flying ant day across the country is a bit of a myth, actually there's a fairly tight window pretty much nationally when they're coming out". Which is far more equivocal than the headline makes it sound.

Typcial press problem of needing an event to have one single, simple explanation. They really cope badly with anything a little complex.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

Screw flying ants, I am ready for these guys coming back.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

The little bastards are swarming on the Costa del Scouse this evening, leading to a spectacular flock of hundreds of gulls/terns overhead, going crazy to eat as many as possible.

Comment

It's Flying Ants Day

This year, it was today.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X