Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this tell us about Britain today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the main story, the one above it.

That a bunch of cunts are happy to invade the privacy of someone of no public interest whatsoever in order to hang a load of moans about Britain on to it.

Fucking hell. Do they not even try to avoid the phrase "tell us about Britain today"?

It tell's us nothing. 1 person out of 60 million cannot be used as a precedent for a country.

It's a non-question

Comment

I have a funny feeling it might tell us she should have stayed at home with the kids.

Comment

Looking at the accompanying story, she gave no indication in her suicide text or to her husband as to what reason she chose to chuck herself into the river.
        The underlying factor apprears to be post-natal depression, which has been around for as long as women have been giving birth. To try and link it with modern society totally misinterprets the situation, and just seems to be the Mail attaching their illogical hysteria regarding Britain today to a story about one family's tragedy.

Comment

Unless what it tells us is that post-natal depression is under-diagnosed and under-supported in Britain today.

Comment

But that front page headline (the bit about Britain) has nothing to do with the story at all, which is a touching personal tragedy. Perhaps there was an editorial as well?

(I searched and could not find)

Comment

They should have just given in and used the headline KILLED BY LABOUR.

Comment

The idiocy of that headline has been well-described.

So I'd like to talk about the main story.
                Are they blaming the Government for how much it rains in Britain? Really? Really?

Comment

According to Rosie Boycott, I killed her.
                  I am speculating here, but I wonder whether that desire to display to the outside world the visible signs of success played some part in the stressful life she led. Why else would you go explain? For in many ways I believe we are all responsible for Catherine's death.
                  And the rest of you, you should all be ashamed, imposing your aspirations on poor working mothers who should be at home baking.
                  But she was living the modern British dream - one to which our culture tells us we should all aspire.
                  Really? Do we not have a choice? It's not my culture. If my work was affecting my homelife I would sacrifice my job, not my family and certainly not my life.
                  We have created a world that is monstrous in its demands: to earn more, to buy more, to display our worth to the world through the stuff that we own and the high status we acquire in the workplace.
                  No. That's called greed and ambition, and is the choice of the individual.
                  But I suspect...
                  I suspect...
                  I am speculating here...
                  I'm not sure...
                  Not a fucking clue then, Rosie.
                  Not a good enough wife (when did we last go out to dinner together?); not a good mother (I'm never home in time to read a bedtime story or help with their homework); not a dependable colleague (I'm so sorry, but I have to leave - my child has just fallen off her bike).
                  Ah, solved it, call off the investigation, Rosie's sorted it.

Comment

I have a funny feeling it might tell us she should have stayed at home with the kids.
                    Her husband too! And baking - that too. I'd recommend lots of both of those things to anyone.

Which is emphatically not to say that Rosie Boycott is any more clued up or any less patronising than she looks.

But still... if you can afford to spend less, then reducing your working hours and spending more time with your kids is fundamentally a great thing to do.

Comment

It's "feminists" that are to blame, you fools, it says so in the comments. Specifically, Harriet Harman. Why don't the police act? Too busy filling in forms, probably.

There's something indefinably jarring about the way the story links this poor woman's suicide to the pressurised, demanding and caustic modern world and then underneath effectively says IT'S RAINING - WHO CAN WE BLAME?

Comment

What's this nonsense of women having to leave work all the time for accidents at school? I had one accident at school- a clash of heads in playground football, aged 8. My mum took me to casualty, and a bit later she took me again to get my nose bent back into shape.

Clearly that should have necessitated the sack, or at least a torrent of self-doubt from my mum.

Comment

There's more of that bollocks here
                          http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1035150/Rosie-Boycott-Feminist-finds-silently-agreeing-family-rights-harming-womens-careers.html
                          About a kid turning up to school in his pyjamas (eh?) because his overstressed mum was working to buy all the things society demands we own and was too busy to dress him (double eh?), although she found time to write a note about it.

Wasn't she (Boycott) on about the middle-class being "the new, hidden poor" a while back, struggling to pay their £200k mortgages while the working class in their council houses relax and spend, spend, spend?

Comment

Ben Goldacre has recently been superb on, amongst other things, the fuckwitted treatment of suicide in the press. Broadsheets little better than tabloids either, if at all.

Comment

if you can afford to spend less, then reducing your working hours and spending more time with your kids is fundamentally a great thing to do.
                              Sorry to be pedantic but how do you mean "if you can afford to spend less"?

Surely, the only way that you can spend less to achieve what you have outlined is if what you are spending money on luxuries.

No-one, for example, is going to give up essentials - basic foods, amenities, bills - to reduce working hours to spend with their kids.

Therefore, if you are giving up luxuries or lifestyle choices then it isn't case of "affording" to give them up.

My wife and I have given up many things in order to reduce our working hours and spend more time with each other and our child. One of those things, presently, is owning a home. None of them are essential however so could always afford them.

A lot of people sacrifice things in order to bring up their family - luxuries, holidays, professional status, careers sometimes - but they aren't giving up things they can't "afford" to. They aren't sacrificing essentials

On the other hand, some people, unfortunately, have to sacrifice time with their children in order to "afford" the basic essentials.

I can't bring myself to read that rag in order to find out in which group that lawyer was.

My wife had to deal with Rosie Boycott a lot and she thought she was a pain in the arse. As my wife is now the breadwinner, Rosie Boycott wouldn't approve

Comment

BoE, I don't think I could possibly disagree with any part of your response. I was kind of referring to Tubby's earlier post:

In a half-baked and horribly opinionated sort of way, I fully endorse the idea that everyone should do exactly that (in so far as it's realistic) but I suspect / hope for rather different reasons than the Mail would have.

Comment

WE, where might I read that Goldacre piece?

Comment

BoE, I don't think I could possibly disagree with any part of your response.
                                    Yes, sorry about that. I took a little bit of pedantry about what, at the end of the day, is only a turn of phrase and really ranted away with it, didn't I?

Apologies, I must take some air

Comment

Ah, I meant what was the Daily Mail likely to tell us about Britain today, Atteveld. Irony intended.

Comment

I'm with you on that, Tubby. It's simply that I can feel a half-baked rant coming on about feminists selling out to an essentially macho value system in which overwork and career trajectory are accorded much higher status than hanging out with one's kids. Grr, and that.

Comment

Reed: here.

Comment

but I wonder whether
                                            You basically just need to abandon the article when those words appear don't you?

Comment

Working...
                                            X