Ooh, good list.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooh, good list.

So, it's frustrating on the whole that "our" US president is an incrementalist pragmatist pussy, even as we realise that that's the best way to get things done, and that world geopolitics has improved immeasurably.

But here's who he nominated today for the Presidential Medal of Freedom;

Nancy Goodman Brinker, founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the world's leading breast cancer grass roots organization; Dr. Joe Greer, founder of Camillus House; physicist Stephen Hawking; the late Rep. Jack Kemp (R-N.Y.); Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.); legendary athlete Billie Jean King; the Rev. Joseph Lowery; Dr. Joseph Medicine Crow, an author of seminal works in Native American history and culture; the late Harvey Milk, a LGBT civil-rights pioneer; Justice Sandra Day O'Connor; actor Sidney Poitier; entertainer Chita Rivera; former Ireland President Mary Robinson; geneticist Dr. Janet Davison Rowley; South African Archbishop emeritus Desmond Tutu; and micro-loan pioneer Dr. Muhammad Yunus.
    Here are some of those Dubya named;

Tommy Franks, Norman Podhoretz, John Howard, George Tenet, Tony Blair, Paul Bremer, Alvaro Uribe...

There are important respects in which it's like living on another planet.

Ooh, good list.

Billie Jean King went to my high school and grew up in Long Beach. Jackrabbits FTW!

Comment

Ooh, good list.

Billie Jean is not my lover.

Comment

Ooh, good list.

"Micro-loan pioneer"? As in "lend me 5p till Friday"?

Comment

Ooh, good list.

Kind of. He founded Grameen Bank, one of the first microfinance banks. Microfinance institutions make loans of as little as $50, up to a $1000 or so, mainly to women in developing countries, to finance capital investment in small business, crafts etc. It's not exactly uncontroversial, but Yunus seems to be a true believer and has spoken out against usurious interest rates and the like.

Comment

Working...
          X