Good Paintings by Obscure Artists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If there is such a thing as a prodigy in the art world — as we wondered not long a go — Moses ter Borch was it. He had a more famous elder brother Gerrit, but it was Moses who had the family chops. This is from a series of self-portraits he did at sixteen. They are all tiny, this is pretty close to actual size, but so wonderfully animated. Sadly he was dead twenty-one

Wild cursive script by eighth century calligrapher Zhang Xu. Forget yer Pollocks and Rothkos. Zhang was down with abstract expressionism more than a thousand years before they were even drips on their fathers palettes. I posted the image at the bottom elsewhere a week or so back. It shows a totally bladdered Zhang using his hair as a brush.

I'm big on Wildstyle graff and this is a particularly nice piece piece by 'Battle.'It's probably a legal wall, which reduces it's cred among other writers, but purely on aesthetic grounds it's top drawer.

Note to Admins: Is there any way of enlarging the presentation width? Scroll-bars are a pain and 440 pixels is no width at all when you're showing images

Thomas Jones

A wall in Naples

Comment

Good shout. Though I guess his star is definitely on the rise these days. That's a truly amazing composition for an 18th Century painting. Strip away the details and you've got Georgia O'Keeffe.

Comment

Yes the composition is amazing. I also love the detail and the way the washing echoes the colouring of the sky and wall behind. The painting itself is tiny.

Here's another one. A contemporary German painter whose work I saw in a show in Brooklyn.

Comment

The only Jones painting I know is The Bard:

It's a stirring theme- even though probably not true. A bad-good painting, if you like.

Comment

A a different order of quality from his Neapolitan urban landscapes though. You'd never guess they were by the same person. According to his Wiki-bio he pretty much gave up painting when his father died and left him flush. Pity because he was on a real roll.

Comment

The painting Nef put up is on display at the National at the moment in the Corot show. It's very small.

Comment

Ah, but as the women in my life have consistently told me, size isn't everything.

I find small paintings force you to make the effort to look into them rather than at them which can be very rewarding.

I admit they're a nuisance in a crowded gallery though. The VAG's current summer cash cow is "Vermeer, Rembrandt and the Golden Age of Dutch Art Masterpieces from The Rijksmuseum." The title is a bit of a stretch as there are all of two Rembrandts and one Vermeer in the show. The latter is the The Letter and very fine it is too. The trouble is it's about A4 size, and there are always a cluster of people in front of it doing their best to look at it while not obscuring the view of others, an almost impossible feat.

Comment

Working...
                X