Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different alcohols, differing effects?

Late to thread...

It was the Stonewell we tried, EIM, but there was no sign of you. So, as Clive says, after the Yorkshire House it was off to an indie night at the Phoenix, which was attended by about twelve other people. And that was despite the poster being up in the window of Reef for at least a month beforehand.

Comment

I'm not at all sure different drinks have different effects in their own right. I wouldn't trust myself to filter out confirmation bias, and I'm not sure how the thing could be tested rigorously. But different drinks are drunk in different social contexts, which is going to be crucial.

And different flavours also influence mood. On OTFathons, I never feel I've had a really vintage evening if we're at a Sam Smith's pub, because the beer's so lacking in pleasure for me that even the company doesn't quite make up for it. My own jokes seem to me weaker, and my insights less insightful.

Comment

Why on Earth... wrote:
        ...I'm not sure how the thing could be tested rigorously...
        Getting pissed? ...Quite alot?

I think that most of us here can agree on Sam Smiths. Bland, bland, bland.

Comment

Mumpo wrote:
          Late to thread...

It was the Stonewell we tried, EIM, but there was no sign of you. So, as Clive says, after the Yorkshire House it was off to an indie night at the Phoenix, which was attended by about twelve other people. And that was despite the poster being up in the window of Reef for at least a month beforehand.
          Hello Mumpo. I hope you didn't mind me mentioning our little expedition.

Comment

evilC:
            Why on Earth... wrote:

QUOTE:
            ...I'm not sure how the thing could be tested rigorously...

Getting pissed? ...Quite alot?

I think that most of us here can agree on Sam Smiths. Bland, bland, bland.
            At almost a quid cheaper a pint, I can handle a certain level of blandness. Sammy Smith's might not measure up to my favourite pubs (Mennies on the Perth Road in Dundee, Bread and Roses in Clapham) but to be honest I still think they're better than 90% of pubs out there. The alpine lager is a good "session" beer ;p

Comment

Workingstiff wrote:
              The alpine lager is a good "session" beer ;p
              You can only have "alpine lager" in a sentence with "good" if you add the phrase "no fucking" before "good"...

Comment

evilC wrote:
                Mumpo wrote:
                Late to thread...

Hello Mumpo. I hope you didn't mind me mentioning our little expedition.
                Not at all. 'Expedition' seems to be the most apt way to describe most nights out in Lancaster.

Comment

All forms of alcohol seem to make me a bit tired and depressed these days. But will I learn? Yes, probably.

Comment

GO: Strokes for folks, I guess. I'm not saying it's my favourite beer, but it's drinkable. Truth is if i'm looking to have a realy tasty beer, I'll go somewhere else. If I'm looking to have a laugh with a group of friends, drink palatable grog and not have to contend with shit music or arsehole punters, generally sam smiths is good for me.

I'm normally on the wheat beer though. The Organic Lager is OK as well. And the regular lager is really, really cheap.

Comment

Vodka, Port and white wine have the same effect on me. I get drunk really quickly and lose all sense of equilibrium. I also become over confident and offend people / do things I regret the following day.

All ales have a magical effect upon me, I couldn't be happier and no hangover whatsoever.

Lager is more or less the same, but strong lagers make me a bit mouthy after a while, but never aggressive.

Red wine is wicked, no ill effects and my body shuts off the desire to drink more when it's had enough.

I only drink brandy after lunch or dinner, I love it but wouldn't dare drink more than one.

Comment

I don't think I've ever had brandy. Hmmm.

Comment

Whisk(e)y makes me punchy, gin and tonic I feel I can drink all night without any effect, but gin martinis make my body shut down completely. Port makes me feel i can fly. I'd be interested to see research on this, because common sense would state that ethanol is ethanol, and it's the amount in your bloodstream that matters - the congeners are just red herringy flavourings.

Mildly diverting, I was once in charge of the Pimms tent at the Queen's Birthday Party at the British Embassy in Kabul. I gave instructions for the Pimms to be diluted 4:1 with lemonade, but didn't specify which. Result was that the Bulgarian Ambassador fell over and couldn't get back up. It went very brown soon after when the lemonade ran out ran out and coke was substituted - but no-one noticed.

Comment

Rhing Dobie wrote:
                            ...I was once in charge of the Pimms tent at the Queen's Birthday Party at the British Embassy in Kabul...
                            Rhing Dobie, yesterday:

-

Comment

Working...
                            X