Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Allotment

Got one? Want one? What would you grow?

A friend of mine's got one - not so much a proper "allotment", as a plot of land she's marked out in the garden she shares with 2 other houses - and she's now growing her own onions, radishes, broad beans, beetroots, lettuce and rocket, along with various herbs. Her "home-grown" salads are all the more delicious when you've helped pick them yourself, I have to say, although I can't help thinking the effort required (especially the daily slug and snail picking) doesn't really - for me - justify the "saving" on what are, after all, effectively £1 salad bowls from ASDA.

Allotment

It's the spiritual commune with nature that raises the experience for me.
    Also, making time to do something yourself can be liberating in itself in the hurly burly of 21st century life.

Comment

Allotment

I'm not so bothered about an allotment, I just want a shed on an allotment. One where I could smoke roll-ups and make home brew and hide out from the wife. For this reason I also want a wife.

Comment

Allotment

pebblethefish wrote:
        I'm not so bothered about an allotment, I just want a shed on an allotment. One where I could smoke roll-ups and make home brew and hide out from the wife. For this reason I also want a wife.
        This brings to mind the saying "If you think you want to be rich and famous, try just being rich first and see if that scratches the itch."

Comment

Allotment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
          pebblethefish wrote:
          This brings to mind the saying "If you think you want to be rich and famous, try just being rich first and see if that scratches the itch."
          Jack Nicholson?

Comment

Allotment

My dad's got one. He grows lots of stuff, mainly potatoes, onions & runner beans. Got lots of strawberries this year too. It does taste better than shop-bought, but whether that's psychological or genuinely cos they've only just been harvestednot had any chemical fertiliser I don't know.

He certainly doesn't look after it every day though. Prob twice a week in summer and once a week in winter. Must save him a fortune, as he generally has enough potatoes and onions to last 8-9 mths of the year.

Comment

Allotment

Also, making time to do something yourself can be liberating in itself in the hurly burly of 21st century life
              I thought that was what wanking was for?

Comment

Allotment

You scare me Hobbes

Comment

Allotment

Says the man who wants to sit in a shed and smoke roll-ups. Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                  X