The punch has landed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The punch has landed

Buzz Aldrin takes issue with conspiracy theorist.

The punch has landed

Classic.

Comment

The punch has landed

As far as conspiracy theories, the fake moon landings are at the very bottom of the scale, they really give a lot of legit whistleblowing efforts a bad name.

Comment

The punch has landed

Well quite; that's why Mossad are secretly funding them.

Comment

The punch has landed

As Linus said, bottom fodder conspirary. Jon Ronson had a tv show about them and when they had the episode about the moon, they got two idiots parroting stuff which has been shot to pieces ages ago and some nutter waffling about aliens on the dark side that would not allow it.

No need to get technical, just say "KGB" and unless the idiot you're talking too goes for a WORLDWIDE conspiracy then his argument is shot to pieces.

Comment

The punch has landed

I'm not with you.

Comment

The punch has landed

If the USSR had the slightest doubt about the moon mission, we would have known. They had their spies at NASA and a conspiracy the size of the Moon one would have implied hundreds of people, leaks would have occured and it would have been a Godsend in term of propaguanda.

Comment

The punch has landed

Never mind spies at NASA - they tracked Apollo 11 all the way to the moon and back. Once it was there, they had an unmanned probe they'd just landed on the moon (well, crashed I think, but it still worked) which told them for sure that stuff was going on up there.

I mean, that's before you get to the insanity of the conspiracy theory itself. "The flag wiggles in the breeze!" I mean, for fuck's sake. Like, NASA were pretty thorough, but they made one tiny mistake...

Comment

The punch has landed

It's like the climate change deniers banging on about the sun influence...Yeah, the world best climatologists would forget about that small details up in the sky in their models...

Comment

The punch has landed

I don't for a second believe the conspiracies, I just didn't get the KGB statement but I see what you're saying.

Probably the most embarrassed I've ever been was the morning after smoking some really strong weed and watching a documentary on the moon landings as fakes and then feeling like the scales had fallen from my eyes and tearfully waking my gf up to tell her all about it, like my entire universe had fallen apart.

The scales had, thankfully, returned to their rightful position the next morning after sobering up.

Comment

The punch has landed

Anyone who hears a competently-argued version of the moon hoax theory before they have the necessary knowledge of the Apollo program and/or the relevant science, will at least think "hmmm..."

Now, if they're sober, they'll hopefully have a functioning bullshit detector, and go off to research these claims before repeating them to all and sundry. At which point it becomes cheerfully obvious that man's greatest-ever technological achievement did in fact happen after all.

I really wonder about the others, though, the people who don't just swallow this crap whole, but will then defend it religiously until the end of the Earth, not just in the face of derision, but also in the face of logic, science, evidence. What's their game? I mean, clearly the word "religiously" pretty much answers my own question - it becomes a faith. Or, for others, a money-making opportunity. But what about before it gets to that point?

I mean, some twat on YouTube says "ever heard of the van allen belt u retard? EDUCATE URSELF", and someone else points out that along with every other reputable scientist in the world, Dr James Van Allen doesn't seem to think there's a problem with passing through the belt which bears his name so long as you don't stay long and you're well-protected by a bit of aluminium - "LOL" says the moonbat, "u wud need 3 meters of LEAD to pass through the van allen belt without getting fried RETARD". And so on. You surely can't reach that level of disassociation from reality overnight. Don't any of these idiots, all trembly with their new-found secret knowledge, find out that what they've been told about the Van Allen belt is actually untrue, and think "oh shit... well, I was wrong there." Well, no. Because the important thing is that everyone else is a RETARD.

For a while, I wondered if some people have a "believe any old shit so long as it's not what the bloke next to you believes" gene. It's far cruder than that, though, and I grow more convinced by the day: it's not so much that the world makes sense to them suddenly, as they read some wacky internet site without proper citations, it's that their place in the world makes sense to them suddenly, as they realise that there's something here they can latch onto to make them seem a bit different, something that will allow them to patronise and feel superior to everyone who knows more than they do.

I was thinking about this today in Trafalgar Square - there were some dicks there with a megaphone, shouting about how the Rothschilds rule the world, how vaccinations are part of a secret conspiracy, how all the world's media is in the control of the New World Order (actually, no, that's wrong of course - they weren't shouting about how these things are the case, just asserting that they are). Anyway, it wasn't just that, it was all wrapped up in that weird sneery-moron stuff that's the stock-in trade of internet wackos, the idea that anyone who doesn't share their ludicrous views is chuffed to be part of world capitalism, watches Fox News or whatever (and believes every word), trusts everything their government tells them. It's like, because they believe in a load of bullshit, their opponents must also believe in a different load of bullshit. The idea that anyone could disagree with them without being a "sheeple" (singular - "sheep person"?), or a paid-off shill, is unthinkable.

They don't really care about this stuff, they care about the fact that they believe it.

Comment

The punch has landed

I had a (distant) relative who was a hardcore believer in the Y2K apocalypse. Bored everyone to tears about it every time he saw them. Worked 'in computers' so came across as quite knowledgeable about it. Succeeded in scaring me a bit more than I should have been.

We were all worried about Y2K obviously. My place of employ was spending millions to retrofit everything, people were buying insurance, etc.

My relative had, of course, built an underground shelter, stocked up on canned goods and converted to bullion. I vividly remember a visit to our house in 1999 when he went on and on and on about it while his wife and daughter sat looking vaguely uncomfortable, though they were apparently fully supportive of him.

I ain't never seen him since. I would love to have been a fly on the wall around his place that fateful January. He was an otherwise normal enough guy, but heavily plugged into the internet. It's the fucking internet that makes all this shit so catchy and sustainable. Y2K, 9/11 truthers, UFOs, Obama's birthplace, all of it. When you've got your own message board, anything seems possible, and the truth dissolves into a blur of spurious hyperlinks.

Comment

The punch has landed

Thats an excellent hit Taylor.

That should be posted in the underground instead of poetry.

*** ow, ow, ALONGSIDE POETRY... sorry.

Comment

The punch has landed

I thought this thread was going to be about Danny Dyer:

It's a moral dilemma. Do I applaud him being hit, when the bloke who does it is no doubt a really nasty bastard?

Comment

The punch has landed

Myth Busters did a great show ripping the moon conspiracy theories a new one. Recommended.

Comment

The punch has landed

The Guild newspaper at the Uni I am lowering standards for recently put out a conspiracy theory edition. In this they put forward, without question or contradiction, the usual load of old bollocks about everything from the moon landing to the completely debunked 9/11 twaddle.

This is a publication which theoretically should be a voice for students on a range of really quite serious issues. For me they completely demolished their own credibility, not least because half of the articles were presented as if they were shocking exclusive exposes, not a rehash of utterly discredited clap-trap.

Comment

The punch has landed

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                                  Myth Busters did a great show ripping the moon conspiracy theories a new one. Recommended.
                                  Currently on S*y 520's. Thanks Reed.

Comment

The punch has landed

Some good posts, but I have got myself in arguments with people on this board who were essentially advocating conspiracy theories. No one's immune.

Comment

The punch has landed

Really Stumps? Does anyone still think it was a wind up?

My only surprise is that they stopped going.

Comment

The punch has landed

Buzz Aldrin has a part time job at Glasgow airport, and I claim my €5.

Comment

The punch has landed

Really Stumps? Does anyone still think it was a wind up?
                                          They weren't disputing the moon landings; just that all the photos had been faked.

Comment

The punch has landed

ah... I think I remember that.

I hope to stupidity, that it wasnt me. Those pictures are not faked. God took them. hehehe

Comment

The punch has landed

I feel I understand conspiricy theorists a lot more having recently finished Foucault's Pendulum. There really isn't much difference between people who believe that the Moon landing was faked and those who believed in the existence of the Rosy Cross. It's just a need to believe in something.

Comment

The punch has landed

The problem with debates with conspiracy theorists is that there simply isn't any evidence that will disprove their theories.

If there's something they can't explain, they just extend the conspiracy. If you were to send a probe to photograph the landing sites, they'd tell you those photos were also faked.

Comment

The punch has landed

Gerontophile wrote:
                                                  ah... I think I remember that.

I hope to stupidity, that it wasnt me. Those pictures are not faked. God took them. hehehe
                                                  It was me, although I'm pretty sure my line was that I'd read a very compelling case that the photos were faked, rather than stating definitively that they were.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X