Buying a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a house

Fences are expensive. I learned that much very quickly.

I kind of want to replace the fence we have on to the main road with a hedgerow. It would be much more in keeping with the house I think. The bloke down the road told my wife he hates the fence as people should be able to "enjoy the beautiful Victorian house". Very kind of him but if he wanted everyone to enjoy it he should have bought it himself and destroyed his own property value taking it down. Besides, the chap has about 20 chickens, some goats, ponies and a few miniature cows. I don't think he is my first port of call in being a good neighbor.

Comment

Buying a house

Miniature cows? I like him.

Comment

Buying a house

Are you sure they aren't just far away?

Comment

Buying a house

Presumably they produce low fat milk

Comment

Buying a house

WOM wrote: Renart....this far north? I've been expecting Reed for years now...
            Moving would be such a hassle, and I don't know if I want to someday have a kid ask me "what did you do when the fascists came?" and have to answer "I just left." I'm not sure what I can do to stop it, but...I dunno. What would Thomas Paine do?

Comment

Buying a house

WOM wrote: In house news, I'm putting a new fence around the backyard. Even though I have 'helpful' neighbours on both sides, it'll be down to me for about 95% of it. I have to have the old one down by Monday as the post-hole guys are coming on Tuesday. Fun.
              I spent from about 7:30 Saturday morning to 7 o'clock last night pulling down, cutting up and stacking my old fence boards. Then I used a combination of metal bars and hydraulic jacks to pry up the old fence posts. All in 27 to 29 degree heat. But I got it done.

I'm revising my 95% figure upward to 103%, to account for my utterly useless neighbour hanging around asking stupid questions, making stupid suggestions, and generally creating a nuisance of himself while doing absolutely nothing to help.

On Sunday afternoon, he and his wife fucked off to the horse races because "you have to take advantage of the nice weather". I sound grudgeful, but it was great to see the back end of him.

Comment

Buying a house

Reed John wrote: What would Thomas Paine do?
                Well, he left England for America...

Comment

Buying a house

Didn't he go to France first?

Comment

Buying a house

Exactly. Reed gets to skip a step.

Comment

I have a feeling that there was a more recent housebuying thread, but I can't find it so this will do.

We bought this house last year. Because the Massachusetts market is as nuts as it is, we were basically obliged to skip the inspection report. This is kind of like the equivalent of the surveyor's report in the UK, except more about livability and less about just making sure that the mortgage company's money is secure. They don't do the inspections on things like wet and dry rot that UK surveyors do, but they do things like make sure kitchen cabinet doors shut, and that the dishwasher works, and that the hot water is actually hot.

Today I finally got round to getting a bloke in to do the job - I basically want to know if the house is going to collapse under me, or cost an absolute fortune if we sell it. The good news is that he appears to have found nothing like that at all - it's mostly very superficial stuff like "tidy up the caulking" and "remove the rhododendrons from close to the house because their roots can get in the foundations." I am mightily relieved.

Comment

Working...
                      X