'Classless Society' News Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top professions such as medicine and law are increasingly being closed off to all but the most affluent families, a report into social mobility will say.

What? But I thought we were living in a classless society now? I'm sure that's what that nice Mr Major said. And that nice Mr Blair...

Can't believe Milburn made a Britain's Got Talent reference to try and show he's down with popular culture. What a twerp.

The idea that people like Milburn have only just noticed this is perhaps the most laughable thing here. Although it's quite possible he has, given that he's devoted his political career to tonguing the rich and powerful. This is really just about Blairites jockeying for influence and relevance in the looming post-New Labour era. See also James Purnell and Demos.

Comment

Milburn's standing down as an MP, to be fair.

I heard a brief radio interview with him today. "I was fortunate to be part of the most socially mobile generation"- indeed you were, but it wasn't achieved by fortune. It was tax and spend and other stuff you don't like.

Comment

Working...
      X