Have you already had "Swine Flu"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a wonderful week's holiday in Devon, did the Lydford Gorge walk one afternoon with my daughters in the pouring rain (and I'd forgotten just how potentially life-threatening that is in several places, especially for a National Trust property).

Came back with a terrible cold, horrible temperature on Saturday night, laid in bed most of yesterday and today watching the golf and cricket. Still feel miserable now, if truth be told.

But being one of those British men who doesn't go to the Doctor's unless I literally cannot walk and or see, I call this a cold, brought on by being soaked to the skin walking about bits of Dartmoor. My temperature's going down, and I feel a bit better.

Have I "had" Swine Flu?

Where is A Doctor Speaks?

Probably. I heard a doctor on the radio the other week (on second thoughts it may have been a man in the pub) reckon half the people who've had swine flu don't know they've had it - it just felt like a cold or whatever. The woman who sits next to me had it, is my guess, then I got a cold. Who knows?

According to a letter writer to the Telegraph (my favourite letters page, fact fans) they only check you for it once you're dead, so all the stats are meaningless.

Comment

I had manflu the other week but none of the vomiting and squirts that are associated with Swine Flu..I'm hoping that I had a mild dose and am now immune. My reasoning being that it's really unusual for me to catch any sort of cold or flu at this time of year therefore it must have been Swine flu :-)
      I know a few people now who've had it or got it

Comment

If you feel lousy but can function you've probably got a cold.

If you 're lying in bed with a raging temperature, alternately sweating and shivering, with headaches and aching bones, feeling like absolute shit, you've probably got flu.

Comment

About six weeks ago, during the middle of the night, I had a sudden onset of flu-like symptoms. I ached all over and was sweating and shivering for hours. I cannot recall feeling that ill before. Thankfully, it was relatively short-lived and within a couple of days I was feeling tired but much better.

It did cross my mind that it might have been swine-flu. I've spoken to a few other people who've had similar symptoms over the past few weeks, but none of us have been to the doctors to see if it is anything more than a virus.

Comment

About six weeks ago, during the middle of the night, I had a sudden onset of flu-like symptoms. I ached all over and was sweating and shivering for hours. I cannot recall feeling that ill before. Thankfully, it was relatively short-lived and within a couple of days I was feeling tired but much better.
            I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. Plus a weird rash on my back. Not nice and I was laid up for two days, but definitely not flu.

Comment

But is the point not that you don't have to have had proper flu symptoms to have had it? You may just not have had it that bad, basically due to your immune system, but you've still had it?

Anyway, I'm way out of my depth here.

Comment

I've only had flu once (in that nasty 1990 outbreak), but I'd be surprised if that had conferred any immunity to H1N1.

Comment

sw2boro wrote:
                  Where is A Doctor Speaks?
                  He's got verbal dysentery.

Comment

Maybe "immune System" is the wrong phrase, but your general state of health etc. - you know, sometimes you get ill, but it doesn't bother you that much, and "this doctor off the radio" seemed to think that that would be the case with many people - be ill, but not too bad, but have had the virus.

I'm stopping now. I have no idea what I'm on about.

Comment

I was in bed on Saturday night when something came all over me.

I wasn't complaining.

Boom boom

Comment

I tried to phone the swine flu hotline, but the line was poor and all I got was crackling.

Comment

Apparently three people in my building have been sent home with it today, I've just heard on the grapeswine. I hope they turn the a/c off.

Comment

I asked my brother about the 'Swine Flu Parties' that people here in A'dam are arranging, he said that he could see the point of them, but no medical professional could ever come out and endorse the concept of people deliberately making themselves sick.

Comment

Yeah, it would blow the whole gig.

Comment

I had a bad dose of flu back in early May, which I though might be it as I work in the airline industry and Delta Airlines share the same building as our lot and a few of them were off sick around the same time.

If it was just a cold then meh.

Comment

Confirmed case in the building. They've turned the a/c up to compensate.

Comment

I never get ill, so I'm OK.

Comment

BBC
                                      The 15-year-old girl who died in Glasgow was admitted to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children at Yorkhill a week ago.

Ms Sturgeon said: "As we have seen in previous cases, this patient was suffering from underlying health conditions and her death should not cause alarm among the general population.
                                      I keep reading quotes like this one which I assume are so worded in order to allay the concerns of the general population. My problem is that like a reasonably significant proportion of the population I also have "underlying health conditions" specifically chest problems, and therefore this fails in its primary purpose of allaying my and I suspect many others' concerns about this bloody flu. I will be doing all I can to avoid it until a vacine becomes available.

Comment

Chirpy wrote:
                                        I tried to phone the swine flu hotline, but the line was poor and all I got was crackling.
                                        I think you're telling porkies

Comment

I was sick in the night. Should I worry?

Comment

There's a non-flu D&V bug going round as well, my daughter's had it.

Comment

Interesting, Wyatt. Over the past 24 hours I had the worst "D"/stomach cramp I can remember (recovering now), but I just assumed it must have been food poisoning. Maybe it was, of course.

Comment

It's like a scene from Snoutbreak here now.

Comment

I've got to write an article this weekend, and here I am with a horrible cold, headache, hot/shivery, feeling sick, achey, loss of appetite, extreme tiredness to the point where I can barely keep my eyes open, etc.

It had better not be bloody swine flu. For a start, I have to write this article whether I like it or not, and secondly I have "underlying health issues", i.e. chest/respiratory problems. I'll ring a doctor if I start throwing up or if my stomach turns to water, I suppose. Although this has been coming on for about four or five days, so if it is the swine flu I'm probably too late for the appropriate drugs.

Anyone who buys a certain football magazine next month and is less than impressed with my contribution - I got my excuse in early, alright? If I'm dead within the week, then don't say I didn't warn you.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X