Snobbery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snobbery

The British-English language can sometimes come across in a way that it seems snobbish, by how phrases are put together, the dry sort of humour, etc
    American-English has more of a back-patting, high-five kind of style to it, and often a simple, straightforward, 2PM re-run of a Brooke Shields sitcom kind of humour.

I think I’ve landed somewhere in-between. I haven’t quite grasped the British way, and often come across as a loud war-mongering overly patriotic American shouting fury at a waitress in a Warsaw airport bar because they don’t have any Fruity Loops, when it’s only Chris Rock having inspired some of the failed paragraphs.

Snobbery

The key to English "English" is understatement e.g. WW2 - a little bit of bother over the channel.

Comment

Snobbery

I always think that this story is a good example of what you are talking about. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/apr/14/johnezard

Comment

Snobbery

"It was a mess, just a mess. The sides of the tanks were covered in blood. All the tracks were full of limbs, it was a mess. It was a mess. So much so that we were taken off into the tents so that we wouldn't see any more of it. But it was a horrible mess."
        "Mess" isn't the first word that comes to my mind there.

Comment

Snobbery

British-English irony/humor and turns of phrase don't normally read as snobbish to me, but I get the impression people are sort of graded on how detached they can sound.

Comment

Snobbery

Actually, there is an offical scale for this, but we'd obviously never show it to you colonials.

Tally ho!

Comment

Working...
            X