Modern Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern Love

Anybody read this bullshit? I find its consistent awfulness and revelation of the authors' personal awfulness fascinating, a bit like Mary Worth. I'm convinced that they're both enormous practical jokes, but I can't figure out who is being taken in by them. I mean, who thinks shit like this is good?
    Soon he entered the bar with a shopping bag and slid into the booth between my friend and me. The awkwardness was palpable, sultry, like fondue.

Modern Love

Ahahahaha. This is fantastic stuff.

In graduate school, when my boyfriend then — a touchy-feely, anarchist performance artist type — announced he wanted to see other people because monogamy was “a bourgeois construct,” I reluctantly went along with him for about a year, thinking that dismantling the dominant paradigm was the right, countercultural thing to do.

Comment

Modern Love

Christ alive:

We sought the intersection of all senses, the folding together of sex and of wardrobe and the fey territory of bread pudding in whiskey sauce.

Comment

Modern Love

Lyra, will you marry me?

Admittedly we are going to be lacking in the offspring department (anyone who puts THAT song here, is dead) bu we will enjoy the world, and all that she has to offer.

Fey?

FEY?????

oh fuck off.

Comment

Modern Love

I believe my deceptively simple cabbage and rice soup, finished off with handfuls of Gruyère cheese and oversize garlic croutons, is the one that sent him over the edge. He admitted as much. That cabbage soup stands as the last crumbling brick in the wall of his bachelorhood.
          Well, it doesn't, does it? It's what you used to make the wall crumble. It's not part of the wall itself. Tsk.

Comment

Modern Love

These are great. TV Quick should do a deal to serialse them.

Comment

Modern Love

So, generation-X matures into it's own version of Mills and Boon. Gen-Y in about twenty years will communicate impressionist love stories minus grammar.

Comment

Modern Love

I get them mixed up, all them American letter-coded generations. What are "X" meant to be like again?

Comment

Modern Love

'X'ers' 10-20 were probably exactly the same as to what 'Y's' are described as now: energetic, dynamic, great organisers and they don't want to work, substitute MTV for internet and Bob's yer uncle we have a generation who feature in cool magazines.

Comment

Modern Love

Eh?

Comment

Modern Love

The US census bureau defines Gen X as the 1968-1979 cohort.

Comment

Modern Love

Ah, see, I kept thinking they must be older because of Billy Idol. No wonder I've been confused.

Comment

Modern Love

Sorry to hijack thread. What Ginge Yellow said. Generation-Y are an emerging classification, very "now" if you will, hence my reference to condescending magazines. Not a reference to 100 punks.

Comment

Modern Love

And they are called Generation-Y because they've one chromosome less than Generation-X?

Comment

Modern Love

I always get Gen X confused with Baby Boomers even though I'm probably in Gen X.

I also get "69-79 cohort" confused because I wonder if people were born in that era or were educated in that era to become Gen X.

Comment

Modern Love

It's born in that era, isn't it?

Comment

Modern Love

If you find Modern Love as car-crash-fascinating as I do, you should check out the archives at Unfogged. It's a regular fixture over there.

Comment

Modern Love

It's definitely got that kind of Liz Jones quality.

Comment

Modern Love

I could not bring myself to ever describe one my fondues as "sultry"...

Comment

Modern Love

Which stories were those awful quotes from? I can't find them. All the stories on the first page seem to be bad, but not nearly that bad.

Comment

Modern Love

The fondue metaphor is definitely in the so-bad-it's-good category. I'm not sure about the rest.

Generation X refers generally to those born between 1965 and the late 70s (1980 is one common lower boundary.)

Comment

Modern Love

I sneak into Generation W, then, presumably.

Y'all seem more into drawing distinctions between generations than us Limeys are, I think, Pete Townshend notwithstanding. You know, Lost, Beat, Me, etc. We do less of that I think.

Comment

Modern Love

Your generation would say that...

Comment

Working...
                                              X