Mobile Internet - Not subscription

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to measure how much one downloads (exluding torrents and such) during a month?

How much are you downloading when you watch a 1min YouTube clip?

The reason I ask is because there are deals here where I'd pay 299kr for a month, but with a limit of 5GB download. I have no clue what you'd download if you would surf OTF, some online papers and such. The occasional YouTube visit.

How about if I'm leaving the computer on, take to the pub, then come back, if I have the first page of WSC up with the flash animations etc, what could be downloading in the background, ticking away?

I've seen this mobile internet for 299 kr as well. Tele2? You could also subscribe for a single day for 30 kr or so, which seems handy.

5GB is a lot, I think you could only reach that if you were downloading entire films and constantly listening to internet radio, all at the same time. I doubt you could achieve a figure like that with browsing the internet.

A typical web page is probably no more than 200 kb, which works out at 0.0002 GB. So you could view 25,000 such webpages before reaching your limit.

YouTube clips are probably 20-30 kb/sec, so about 0.00003 GB per second. So that works out at 45 hours of YouTube viewing before you reach your limit.

But TG will sort all this out for us. I guessed too much.

I think they have this 5GB limit mainly to stop people downloading movies.

Comment

A typical web page is probably no more than 200 kb, which works out at 0.0002 GB. So you could view 25,000 such webpages before reaching your limit.
      I wouldn't put it that low. From browsing the web on my phone, I know there are plenty of relatively straightforward pages that are between 500k and 1.5MB. But, yeah, just browsing the web isn't going to push you over 5GB.

Anyway, there are tons of utilities that will monitor your usage. In fact, many mobile broadband providers will supply one with the dongle. See here or here.

Comment

What the hell would we do without you, GY?

Comment

Use Google?

Comment

Never heard of it.

Comment

Cheers for that, GY!

B, where you at?

Comment

Lund, looking out at Barsebeck.

Comment

I think emails are in order, and a plan to meet. You have a place to stay over at any time you want to visit Gothenburg,

Comment

Working...
                  X