• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Names and shames 14 year old girl terrorist

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/mid...st/7368502.stm

Offensive headline

I presume it's been changed. It now reads "Girl killed in fresh Gaza clashes", which seems reasonable. There's no implication in the headline or the body of the story that she was anything other than an innocent bystander.

Comment

Chippy- am I missing something? Neither headline, story nor linked film seem to imply that the dead girl wasn't a civilian.

The Fatah molotov through our bathroom window in Jerusalem (in 1968) was thrown by a girl of about the same age. She was convicted to a long jail sentence AFAIR.

Comment

the BBC have a history of fucking up news stories (webwise), so if the original link was correct, then fair play to Chippy on that. I did read it and was too busy thinking of a title before the truth apparently outed.

Comment

Clashes between Israeli ground forces and Palestinian militants on Sunday in nearby Beit Lahiya left a 14-year-old girl dead and eight others injured.
          That doesn't imply anything to you?

Incidentally, News Sniffer is handy for looking through the various versions of BBC online stories.

Comment

The murder of yet another Palestinian child is glossed over by the claim that this was an operation between "ground forces" ie the goodies and "militants" ie the baddies.

Comment

Disgusting, but all BBC reports on Israel are like that.

Comment

TonTon: Not really, no. Clashes between the Israeli military and militants in Gaza tend to kill lots of civilians. And regardless, that paragraph doesn't appear in the version I'm reading. My version specifically contrasts combatants with civilian casualties:
                They say the casualties included the girl's mother, but were mostly gunmen involved in clashes with the Israelis.

Comment

There's a big section in Nick Davies' book about the pressure applied to media organisation by pro-Israeli government groups.

Comment

oh fuck, first Vietnam of the new board.

Are we applying the get out clause to all media, or just the BBC here? I am sickened and stunned that something that didnt happen (as originally represented), is news.

Comment

and while you all may feel the need to vent your collective spleens, I KNOW that you are probably in the right, but thats not how life works, is it?

SO now that the BBC have sorted themselves out, and the fact that the headline of the thread may or may not be, true, and the fact that Israel are killing 5 Palestinians, on average, per day, who does one believe?

Who is Nick Davies, and why should I believe him/her?

Comment

He's an investigative journalist with the Grauniad, who's just written a book on the state of the UK press (and investigative journalism in particular). You should believe him to the extent that he provides evidence, as with everyone else.

Comment

What do you mean by "the fact that the headline of the thread may or may not be, true,"?

Comment

fair enough

Comment

TT: dont, please dont.

I saw the original article, and well, it was very pants. please dont get me into this.

Comment

Ummm...well if you don't want people to ask you about things you post, best not post them. I don't know what you meant, which is why I asked. You don't want to get into it, then...well, like I said, don't.

Comment

When the thread was started, I had seen what it came from, on the BBC. Now, it is basically, bad reporting.

Thats all.

Comment

The Associated Press news agency quotes witnesses as saying the Israelis seized him from his home amid heavy fighting.

and does anyone still think that I am in favour of that?

Comment

Working...
                                    X