My mobile hell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mobile hell

Does anyone have one of these phones? The reason I ask is that I have and the flipping screen has broken. Because of this, I can't bluetooth the address book to anything because I can't see the menu.

I think the only solution is for someone to explain the exact sequence of buttons to press. I spent all last night trying to download the address book over bluetooth but to no avail.

My mobile hell

Has anyone seen my phone? Last time I saw it was just before I stepped on this in Porthcawl

It could be anywhere in the South West or Wales

Comment

My mobile hell

I had one of those phones, SP, but it was a while ago; and I'm buggered if I can remember what you'll need to do. Sorry.

Whilst I'm here, I might as well attempt a quick threadjack (with all due apologies). It's upgrade time again - anyone have any recommendations on the new crop of phones?

Comment

My mobile hell

I've just ordered a Nokia 6303, so I'll let you know if it's any good when it arrives.

Comment

My mobile hell

Wait for the new Sony's to hit the market in SeptOct.
          Otherwise, much as I hate to say it, an iphone is tops.
          The Sony W995 is ok if you don't want a touch screen.

Damn, Stumpy. That's an ugly telephone.

Comment

My mobile hell

Cheers, Stumpy.

By way of an apology for the threadjack, here's a link to a PDF version of the manual for your Samsung. It gives you the menu items in the order they appear on the phone, so you should be able to work out the keypresses from there.

Apologies if you already thought of this.

Comment

My mobile hell

hobbes wrote:
              Yeah? I thought it looked okay
              [IMG]br /http://www.mobilebond.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/nokia-6303-classic.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

My mobile hell

hobbes wrote:
                Wait for the new Sony's to hit the market in SeptOct.
                Otherwise, much as I hate to say it, an iphone is tops.
                The Sony W995 is ok if you don't want a touch screen.

Yeah, I have a mate who just says the word "iPhone" whenever I mention this topic. However, there are two things that put me off:

1. Camera. I realise that a phone camera is inherently poorer than a dedicated device (although props to the contributors on the Phone Photo thread, some of those are lovely), however I use my phone camera a lot when travelling for off-the-cuff snaps. Saves lugging around another item when pocket space is at a premium.

2. O2. No, no, no. No. I'm basing this on an unbelievably bad time I had with them when I was stupid enough to try and cancel a contract, playing by their rules. I have no desire to get into another 6 month long argument about whether or not I owe them £170. Court threats are not welcome.

I was thinking about the N97 - anyone got one? I'd have to insist on a "vanilla" handset though, I hate the way Vodafone cripple their handsets with terrible firmware. Other than that, I've had the HTC phone recommended as well. As for Sonys - the user interface really puts me off, for some reason. It never really seems intuitive.

Comment

My mobile hell

I love the Sony interface, especially the new one. And the W995 has an 8.1mp camera with autofocus and face recognition etc.
                  Add in 3g, wifi and a decent pair of headphones and it's a real box-ticker. I'm just not a massive fan of slide phones.
                  The N97 is more of a smart-phone (mini computer) than a phone.
                  I'm still using a 3 year old Sony W810 because my last upgrade was an HTC Touch Dual and it was abso-fucking-lutely unusable. Utter crap. I hear they've improved, but you know, once bitten.

The new Sony Satio is going to have a 12.1mp camera...

Comment

My mobile hell

Yeah, I read that somewhere. Aren't they involved in an unoffical race with Samsung to be the first to release a 12mp camera phone? 8.1mp is more than sufficient, surely?

I know what you mean about slide phones, although my N95 is pretty damn reliable. Plus I can get £130 for it on one of those recycling sites.....

Comment

My mobile hell

Back to the original topic (if only briefly!). Stumpy - do you not have the cable to connect it directly to your computer?

Comment

My mobile hell

evilC wrote:
                        Back to the original topic (if only briefly!). Stumpy - do you not have the cable to connect it directly to your computer?
                        I don't--it wasn't included in the box when I bought it. However, I've seen one on eBay for €3, so that might be the way forward.

Comment

My mobile hell

This is where we could bang on about Samsung and their refusal to use standardised cable types, if we were so inclined.

Comment

My mobile hell

As well as their use of batteries that don't last longer than 12 minutes.

Comment

My mobile hell

That too. I've only ever had one Samsung, and it was one too many.

On another point, 24 month contracts. Christ.

Comment

My mobile hell

was thinking about the N97 - anyone got one? I'd have to insist on a "vanilla" handset though
                                Isn't an unbranded handset going to set you back about £600? You'd be better off getting a free/cheap one with Vodafone and then changing the firmware.

Comment

My mobile hell

As far as I know, most networks keep stocks of unbranded phones to supply to business users. I've received one from Vodafone before; presumably that was a mistake.

I could quite easily de-brand and re-install the firmware, as you say - it worked like a charm on my N95. However, that was out of warranty at the time. I don't fancy bricking a brand-new N97....

Comment

My mobile hell

Update: N97 arrives Monday, ready for me to start arsing about with the firmware. Expect a thread on Tuesday asking if anyone knows how to fix a dead N97.

Comment

My mobile hell

Are the new Sonys all going to be those rotten slidey shit things? Or will they keep going with the odd proper usable phone too?

Comment

My mobile hell

Stumpy, I have one.

*Sorry, no, I dont. Mine is a D600, but looks exactly the same. Sorry.

Comment

My mobile hell

Comment

My mobile hell

Alternatively the manual is here.

This is all assuming you have the Bluetooth Dongle? and you will need the phone software disk (or download the software from here.

Comment

Working...
                                            X