Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Germany vs Argentina heavy-weight title bout

Round 1:
    Germany wins the first round easily by virtue of an impressive 4-0 against Portugal. Argentina’s fairly bright start against Bosnia pales in comparison.

Round 2:
    Neither contender impressed. Germany struggled to a 2-2 draw with Ghana; Argentina beat unfashionable Iran with a last minute goal, and might have lost had the referee awarded Iran a justifiable penalty. Germany just about shades it on entertainment value.

Round 3:
    Argentina and Nigeria play a very entertaining game, while Germany gives a solid, entirely unspectacular performance. Even a point deduction for thuggish play which the ref didn’t punish can’t prevent Argentina from taking this round.

Round 4:
    Both teams struggle, neither scores in normal time. Studies show that fewer people fell into a comatose sleep during the Germany vs Algeria game. Some somniacs who shut their eyes during Argentina vs Switzerland, even if just to look away, never woke up again.

Round 5:
    An uneventful but disciplined performance by Germany against highly traded France, and an uneventful but disciplined performance by Argentina against Belgium. Neither France nor Belgium turned up. Round drawn

Round 6:
    Call me biased, but I think Germany just about shades it with a 7-1 against Brazil.

So, Germany win four rounds, Argentina one, with another tied.

Not sure who wins the musical category
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4CTHUFhig

Comment

i'd like messi to peform, but i'd like pretty much every other argentina player to be shown up. 5-2 to germany would be a dream scoreline. 2 dazzling messi goals in the first half and in the second, a huge 5 goal rout scored by muller and kroos and hey maybe even ozil for a laugh. not klose though, he's had enough

Comment

Best world cup final of my lifetime was Argentina vs W Germany. Worst world cup final of my lifetime was Argentina vs W Germany. (Neither of those two were about the results, just the matches themselves. As it happens the team I wanted to win did so on both occasions)

I'd settle for this one to be a passable final, with some open play. Can't see past a German win, but if they do what many teams have done and put 2 or 3 midfielders on Messi, their own attacking options will be severely reduced, and it could be a bore fest. Alternatively if they trust in their ability to carve open the Argentinian defence at will, and in so doing give Messi a bit of space, it could be an absolute classic. I don;t have much hope, but who knows. (I think a lot depends on Di Maria's fitness actually - if he plays and is genuinely fit, then the whole game opens up somewhat. If not, then Germany will have the option of just shutting down Messi and finding a single goal somewhere to win)

Comment

D'land to win

Schweini will accidentally trample Messi in the first minute and that will be the end of the game

Comment

Argentina in their, as yet unused, all dark blue kit apparently.

Comment

Kurt Bafokeng wrote: Not sure who wins the musical category
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV4CTHUFhig
              now here's argentinean entry -

Comment

loose cannon wrote: D'land to win

Schweini will accidentally trample Messi in the first minute and that will be the end of the game
                Do you think that Schweinsteiger is a dirty player? It's much more likely that an Argentinian will leave his foot in and injure Müller or Kroos in the first minutes?

One thing actually struck me. In general, Germany has been one of the cleaner, least cynical sides in this World Cup. In their last two games they played against two teams that had a reputation for playing dirty in their previous games, France and Brazil. Both played much more fairly against Germany (though Sideshow Bob merited at least three red cards, including two for elbowing Klose).

They are going to meet another side on Sunday that has earned a reputation for cynical and occasionally dirty play. I wonder whether they will follow France and Brazil in playing more fairly against Germany.

Comment

I'm not sure if I can't lose, or can't win. I put money on Argentina before the tournament, but want Germany to win now it's mostly played out.

I think I will settle for a good game instead of worrying about it.

Comment

To put a slight twist on G-Man's original post, I'd say that Germany probably has beat the better competition in France, although the Netherlands likely surprised most folks with the quality of their play. That Germany-France game wasn't very exciting but I chalk that up to the quality of both sides, which has me a bit worried about the final (i.e., that game wasn't very exciting and this final might be a repeat of that cagey affair).

I'm torn about this final. I think Germany has probably been the most well-rounded side throughout the tournament. I've been very impressed by Neuer's play. And that mid-field has been playing excellent football when Lowe is smart enough to start Lahm at the back. Argentina really hasn't looked that good (other than that match against Nigeria) and their lack of a playmaking midfielder has me thinking that they will be playing for a 1-0 victory. As others have noted in this thread and in others, I would like to see Messi have an excellent final. The other factor for me is seeing a side from the Americas do well. With the instability of most domestic leagues because players are sold to Europe, it's good to see a CONMEBOL team (except Brazil) do well in an international tournament.

I picked Argentina to beat France in the final before it began and the last two major tournaments featuring European sides (Euro 2012 and WC 2014) I picked the final before the tournament but had the loser to win. So from a personal curiosity standpoint, Argentina might just win this since France isn't around to beat Argentina.

My hope: 3-2 game with Argentina winning.
                    My realistic pick: 1-0 Argentina in ET.
                    My fear: Argentina wins, Lowe is sacked or quits, Germany returns to the less than exciting football they had been playing prior to 2006.

Comment

Round of 16: Greece lose to Costa Rica in the penalty shootout
                      Quarter final: Costa Rica lose to the Netherlands in the penalty shootout
                      Semi final: the Netherlands lose to Argentina in the penalty shootout
                      Final: ?

Comment

G-Man wrote:
                        Originally posted by loose cannon
                        D'land to win

Do you think that Schweinsteiger is a dirty player? It's much more likely that an Argentinian will leave his foot in and injure Müller or Kroos in the first minutes?

One thing actually struck me. In general, Germany has been one of the cleaner, least cynical sides in this World Cup. In their last two games they played against two teams that had a reputation for playing dirty in their previous games, France and Brazil....
                        It depends how you define dirty. Germany are the masters of the tactical foul. A slight tug of the shirt to break up play without receiving a yellow is what we saw several times in the match against France

Taking the rhythym out of the opposition's game with a small foul and going down at the slightest of touches whenever the ball appears to be lost are two things German players are taught at a young age.

It's not considered unfair. It's the clever way to play.

Comment

Have Argentina really been considered dirty by non-Argentines during this tournament? I've not noticed that criticism from the English-speaking folk I follow on Twitter, I must say. Admittedly the stats only record what the ref sees, but they've had one yellow card per match so far, which doesn't strike me as a ridiculous number (Brazil got 14 in 7, Netherlands 11 in 7 and Costa Rica 10 in 5, for example), and according to FIFA, Argentina have committed seven fouls fewer than Germany...

I can't help wondering whether their (well-earned) historical reputation preceeds them at times.

Comment

Argentina haven't been dirty, just uninspiring and unimaginative and dreary.

Comment

thanks DM, you put it better than me
                              The French game had occasional tactical fouls breaking up counter attacks to allow time for the defence to get in place, generally nothing severe but gamesmanship that played to German advantage since the French strategy was built on speed but it's a physical game innit ?

Comment

Round of 16: Greece lose to Costa Rica in the penalty shootout
                                Quarter final: Costa Rica lose to the Netherlands in the penalty shootout
                                Semi final: the Netherlands lose to Argentina in the penalty shootout
                                Final: ?
                                roberto martinez had an interesting point about this before the holland-costa rica game - not sure i remember the exact statistic but it was something like 11 of the last 12 teams to win a penalty shootout at the world cup have lost the next match. the exceptions were brazil, who had beaten chile on penalties and then beat colombia 2-1. so i guess it would be 12 out of 13 now.

i have a horrible feeling germany might win 4-0 and proclaim themselves the greatest team in history.

messi is under crushing pressure and i don't know how he deals with it. i really hope he plays well but he looks wrecked.

i think low will nevertheless make tactical changes to control messi, since if he doesn't and messi scores a couple of goals, he will be eternally disgraced. THE MAN WHO DIDN'T BOTHER TO MAKE A PLAN FOR MESSI. i can't seem him risking that, there is too much potential for it to look like a dereliction of duty. there is an argument that says messi in this kind of form isn't worth making special preparations for, but van gaal and hitzfeld both did it and if it's good enough for them it will be good enough for jogi.

to be honest you might as well try to snuff messi out because the rest of the argentines don't look dangerous, especially since aguero and di maria are unlikely to be fully fit.

i also think romero is dodgy, even though he's weirdly been nominated for keeper of the tournament. he drops a lot of balls. germany fire so many fast balls into the six yard box i can see him letting in the kind of goal portugal conceded for the 4-0.

actually i can't see argentina winning at all unless germany suffer some kind of unexpected meltdown. maybe an early neuer red card or something like that.

i hope they do though.

Comment

I'm really sick of all the stuff about Mess's possible "destiny" (etc.) in the press. If he'd really set this world cup alight with dominant displays then fine. But he's been pretty average with a few fine moments. I don't care what his bloody club form is like, the players that seem (before the final) to deserve this world cup are those playing for Germany.

Comment

i have a horrible feeling germany might win 4-0 and proclaim themselves the greatest team in history.
                                    That team will not proclaim itself anything. This is a pretty realistic and almost self-effacing lot.

I'd be very surprised if Löw puts a marker on Messi. It seems more probable that Messi will be marked by two men according to the zone he enters in the final third.

Comment

I'd like to see Pablo Zabaleta as a World Cup winner: he's one of my all time favourite Manchester City payers and apparently a great guy with it. I'll be rooting for an Argentina win based on this, but realistically Germany must be strong favourites.

Comment

Although Romero doesn't inspire confidence, he's conceded 3 goals in 6 games, one a Nigerian wonder strike, another a meaningless last minute consolation for Bosnia. 3 clean sheets in the knockouts.

Garay and , yes, De Michelis have been excellent in front of him but some of it must be down to him.

I had a similar feeling about Cillessen, in that something doesn't seem quite right about him, but the expected cock up never happened, unless you count the penalties.

Comment

garcia wrote: i also think romero is dodgy, even though he's weirdly been nominated for keeper of the tournament
                                          That's crazy. How many nominations are there? Because I'll have Ochoa/Navas/Neuer before Romero, and that's before I even start really thinking about other alternatives.

Comment

For some reason, Nicola Rizzoli is the referee for this match.

Why? Why would you give it to the guy who gave Diego Costa a penalty for standing on someone's leg and who allowed Van Persie to barge Casillas allowing De Vrij to score later that game, while there are other referees available who didn't have howlers like that? I think Ravshan Irmatov, Mark Geiger, and Noumandiez Doué all well within their rights to feel aggrieved.

Comment

Geiger was appalling when he reffed France-Nigeria. He should have been sent home.

Irmatov (apparently spelt Ermatov but FIFA got it wrong) would have been my choice.

Comment

I can remember Romero making one great save against Iran, but even then, if the Iranian player had put the header either side of him he wouldn't have kept it out.

Comment

Statistically, Ben Foster must be the keeper of the tournament?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X