QF4. The battle of the Caribbean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Though the Republic of Costa Rica and the Kingdom of the Netherlands are neighbors at the Caribbean sea, tonight we will see the first ever match between them. By their footballing history, it is hard to see past a comprehensive Dutch victory. However, Costa Rica is on their best World Cup run ever, topping what arguably was the group of death before taking out Greece in the round of 16. Meanwhile, the Dutch performance started overwhelmingly with the 1-5 demolition of the reigning world champions, but has deflated since; Mexico was three minutes away from eliminating them. Obviously, I am also rooting for a Dutch victory tonight, but Costa Rica may be well worth a punt at the bookies.

I wonder how much Costa Rica will miss defensive lynchpin Duarte, suspended for this match.

Comment

The big question is how bolloxed the Dutch players are after the Mexico match.

I'd say they've spent most of the past five days lying down in darkened rooms.

Comment

Selected Ambient Works 85-92 wrote: The big question is how bolloxed the Dutch players are after the Mexico match.

I'd say they've spent most of the past five days lying down in darkened rooms.
        Apart from Arjan Robben, who has probably been running into walls non stop since Sunday.

Comment

I'm getting over my oranjefobie, breaking my duck and actually going out to watch this one at De Prael.

Comment

obviously I want Costa Rica to win (especially as a NEDBEL semi is looking unlikely), so expect the oranjefobie to kick back into gear as I find myself surrounded by bellowing dickheads in wacky gear celebrating the inevitable.

Comment

Vamos Ticos! Robben to injure himself falling over in the first minute. Por favor.

Comment

Based on the Qfs so far. Holland will win in an incredibly tedious match. Probably 1-0 with an early goal and no actual threat from Costa Rica.

Comment

On the face of it, I should want Costa Rica to win. But Argentina-Netherlands has more of a chance of being a decent semi-final than Argentina-Costa Rica does.

And the Dutch themselves, after a truly incredible start, have grown more and more pragmatic and no-frills as the tournament has worn on. It's all slowly turning to shit, isn't it?

Comment

Versalete wrote: Though the Republic of Costa Rica and the Kingdom of the Netherlands are neighbors at the Caribbean sea, tonight we will see the first ever match between them.
                    A geographical tidbit which offers up this quiz question (annoy your friends today!): What is the highest point in the Netherlands? Yes, I had to look it up, everybody does.

Hopes for game: Ticos win, Robben and RVP get red cards for fighting each other.

Comment

Ticos all the way. Don't see any way it happens though, they've reached their limit and LvG will have them sussed.

Comment

Yeah, the Dutch are the most well drilled of the 'big' countries left. I'd have given Costa Rica a smidgeon of a chance against the other three semi-finallists, but not here. A straightforward 2-0 or 3-0 I reckon.

Comment

1-0 to someone in the 30th second. Then nothing happens for the rest of the game.

Comment

I'm sorry I was so pessimistic. You guys can come back if you want.

Comment

Is the commentator going to continue to tell us how Robben hasn't dived yet every time he gets the ball, or has he stopped now?

Comment

It's funny how in the group games the natural order seemed in the balance, with Costa Rica controlling their game against Italy, for example, but in these knock-outs, the "smaller' nations are doffing their cups once more. Costa Rica playing like a side that expects not to control this match (i.e. on the break).

Comment

I thought they were playing much more like themselves than they did against Greece, really.

Comment

Did he just say that the ball was played by Scunner Campbell there?

Comment

John Godot wrote: I thought they were playing much more like themselves than they did against Greece, really.
                                      Yeah, it's started to change a little since about the time I started writing my previous comment!

Comment

The camera focused on some of the Dutch substitutes, and on RTE, George Hamilton says "some anxious looks on the Costa Rican bench". All the Dutch players in shot, bar Huntelaar, were black. Are we making assumptions, George?

Comment

You would think that an Irishman would recognise the significance of orange . . .

Comment

ursus arctos wrote: You would think that an Irishman would recognise the significance of orange . . .
                                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnNhd7dLj3w

Comment

I wonder if when Robben steps on a piece of lego at home, he falls like that. I bet he can't fall normally any more.

Comment

Costa Rica playing like a side that expects not to control this match (i.e. on the break).
                                                They played like that against Uruguay. And it worked. And it was entertaining. They're doing alright - so far

Comment

Memphis's attempted volley should end the day as a youtube favourite.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X