Who's your sweepstake team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I drew Colombia at work today. Not the worst draw, but I now have the dilemma my sweepstake team probably winning the group, with a good chance of playing England as they will quite likely finish second if they do happen to qualify at all. Really I could do with both teams finishing in the same position, as long as it isn't third or fourth.

Haven't got one yet. I'm waiting for someone at work to pull their finger out and sort it. There's no way I'm doing it, I couldn't cope with all the whining.

Comment

We're having a winestake, I've drawn Switzerland. It isn't easy to find a bottle of Swiss wine in Bristol, I may go for an Italian and strap a toblerone to the side of it.

Comment

Perhaps you could offer to bring the cheese instead.

Comment

Thought about that, but I loathe cheese.

Comment

Weirdo.

Comment

I've got Argentina. £100 top prize.

Comment

How does this work?

Comment

You put all the teams into a hat.
                  Then people buy a draw from the hat for whatever fee is set. In my office that's £5.
                  So our sweep is 32 x £5 = £160
                  Usually the sweep will then be divied up between the top 3 (or whatever rules you like.)

Here the prizes are thus:
                  First prize £100
                  Second Prize £30
                  Third prize £15

Booby prize (team with worst goal difference) £15

It works well for complete amateurs on things like big horse races like the Derby or the Grand National. It gives you an interest, but doesn't require any skill whatsoever.

****Edit****

Having had a quick google, I believe they're known as office pools on your side of the pond.

Comment

I'm guessing Mr Potter's one is everybody has to buy a bottle of wine from the country they drew, rather than putting money into the sweep. Then the winner gets the lot.
                    Which sounds bloody brilliant.

Comment

I've ducked out of our sweep at £10 a time with only the top three getting any prize money.I suggeted money back for losing round of 16 teams say £2 and losing quarter finalists say a fiver based a total pot of £320. Otherwise it's a waste of time. It really will come down to the usual suspects vying for the top 3, because it always does.

Comment

hobbes wrote: You put all the teams into a hat.
                        Then people buy a draw from the hat for whatever fee is set. In my office that's £5.
                        So our sweep is 32 x £5 = £160
                        Usually the sweep will then be divied up between the top 3 (or whatever rules you like.)

Here the prizes are thus:
                        First prize £100
                        Second Prize £30
                        Third prize £15

Booby prize (team with worst goal difference) £15

It works well for complete amateurs on things like big horse races like the Derby or the Grand National. It gives you an interest, but doesn't require any skill whatsoever.

****Edit****

Having had a quick google, I believe they're known as office pools on your side of the pond.
                        Ah, thanks. Not sure I could find 32 people at work that would be interested. Maybe I could do 16, and each person gets two teams.

Comment

My team is the mysterious 'Team 26'. We're having a blind sweep, and only get to find out our teams once all tickets have been sold, thereby negating the inevitable 'Awwwwww, but there's only Algeria left, so I don't want to play'.

To try and keep some interest, we've adopted the following prizes (EDIT: based on a stake of £3.00 per person):

Winner £35.00
                          Runner Up £20.00
                          3rd Place £15.00
                          4th Place £10.00

Group Stages Only

Team that concedes the most goals £8.00
                          Team with the most Red & Yellow cards £5.00
                          Team with least number of goals scored £3.00

Comment

tuckwat wrote: It really will come down to the usual suspects vying for the top 3, because it always does.
                            "Always" is a bit strong. Turkey, Croatia, Sweden all reached third place in the last five World Cups.

Comment

I believe team 26 is Spain.

Comment

The way the tickets are shifting - quicker than usual, which might be the blind sweep in action - we'll find out shortly.

I reckon it's Ivory Coast.

Comment

Well, all 32 tickets sold and my team is.......still a mystery, as we now have to wait until Tuesday for the bloke who's running it to get back and confirm who drew who.

Stay tuned for more thrilling updates as and when they fail to happen.

Comment

I did ours today. £2.50 a go with prize fund of £40 to the winner, £20 to the losing finalist and £10 each to the losing semi-finalists.

Rob who sits behind me said he wanted a go but was in a meeting when I wnt round the office. I should have done sealed envelopes but just let people draw names out of a hat. I'd sold 31 (including someone drawing France out for me) when I realised I'd forgotten Rob. The only team left to be drawn was Iran (honestly) so rather than expect him to pay, or more precisely try and get him to pay, £2.50 for a donkey, I gave him France and have taken Iran on for myself.

Most remember to do sealed envelopes or numbers next time....

Comment

For ours it's blind the whole way through, all the envelopes get opened the day after the final "this way it keeps alive your dreams of winning to the bitter end". It will certainly be more exciting rooting for both teams in case I drew one of them.

Comment

England

Comment

Yeah, I got Columbia as well. And it was one of those run by people who don't think about these things so you had to reveal who you got when you drew it and it was ticked off on a list. I hadn't thought about it again until I read this thread and realised that at a quid a go it is really cheap and hardly worth winning. But there you go.

Comment

I am in exactly the same position as Tobias - I drew no. 11, and have to wait until tomorrow to find out who that is. Watch this space.

Comment

Switzerland

Comment

I got Cote d'Ivoire and Australia. I haven't won a sweepstake since I left school, and that doesn't look like changing this summer.

Comment

South Korea.

Bastard.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X