X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

World Cup books

imp wrote:
    Originally posted by nareik
    I see that World Soccer have both a World Cup supplement bundled with their latest issue, AND a standalone World Cup magazine...which to buy?!
    Probably neither - they'll both be fucking tedious and already out-of-date.
    A bit harsh, imp.

I actually bought the standalone WC magazine then found myself rather missing Brian Glanville tearing a strip off Blatter.

Comment

World Cup books

I posted before starting to read the 2014 collector's issue. It is weaker than I remember past collector's issues being. I could swear that past versions of this had interviews with coaches in addition to general previews by writers who cover the region/nation and a description of each player who might make the squad. The 2014 edition only has a summary of the coaches' histories and then everything else I just listed. Although the coaches are not likely to say anything beyond what we would already expect, it's still better than what we have.

The WSC supplement gives us a touch of the fan's perspective, but I would like to see something more substantive--something like that WSC book about WC 98, where a smart journalist or supporter can write about the qualification process, a coach's history, the teams tactics, how the side has evolved or devolved since the last WC or EC, and something about the current cultural climate in the country for fans. I understand that the shelf life for such a booklet/journal/magazine is short so a book is unlikely meet what I'm describing (i.e., only true idiots like myself are likely to read such a book 3, 4, or 5+ years later) but maybe something like a special issue of the Blizzard would be great.

Comment

World Cup books

[quote]Tony C wrote:
        Originally posted by imp
        A bit harsh, imp.
        Yes, it probably was. On the other hand, my eyes tend to glaze over at the very thought of the latter day World Soccer (I read some copies from the early 80s recently, and it was a far livelier read). Its content is generic, and generally forgettable. It's over studious, overly serious, imbued at times with an off-putting air of pomposity and righteousness. If they could just crack a fucking smile sometimes, that would be good. It's like reading a bloody trade magazine.

So on balance, no, maybe I wasn't being harsh.

Also, in his updated World Cup book, Cris Freddi quite rightly berates them at length for their flimsy 2013 story claiming that the Germans were on drugs during the 1954 and 1974 tournaments.

Comment

World Cup books

Good review by Jonathan Wilson of this and another book of possible interest. I've just finished the Goldblatt book and really enjoyed it.

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/2014/05/golazo-andreas-campomar-and-futebol-nation-david-goldblatt-football-myth-behind

Comment

World Cup books

Has anyone any advice on a WC book for kids to access?

My daughter is nine, and has taken a big interest in football in the last 12 months in particular. She's aware of the WC occurring, and I've explained some of the basics to her (numbers of teams, how often the finals are etc).

I wondered if there is a book out there which is an ideal introduction to the WC for someone her age. That is, not too technical, not a slog to read through. I suppose Match of the Day or Match magazines will be the best idea, but is there a paperback which she could keep with a starter's guide to the World Cup out there?

Comment

World Cup books

Bit pricey, but this is beautiful for kids (and adults too). Not too much text, tons of pictures and interactive stuff (pullout facsimiles of tickets, tourist postcards, Panini stickers, train timetables etc.).

Comment

World Cup books

La Gazzetta's weekly magazine has taken a novel approach to presenting their Group previews:

Comment

World Cup books

Nick Holt's "Mammoth Book of the World Cup" is an entertaining ride, which I only picked up the other day because it was reduced to 15 bucks. I'm glad I did.

Enjoyably opinionated (i.e. I agree with most of the opinions), it works as a semi-beginner's guide (match summaries, historical perspective etc) but also as a dip-in memory prompt. A bit of politics, bit of humour, and some very poor editing, although you know half the fun with these books is the satisfaction you get from correcting the mistakes.

At 700 pages it's good value. For 15 bucks, anyway.

Comment

World Cup books

I had a cheeky flick through Glanville's new history and was a little butthurt to see that he didn't mention Landycakes' goal versus Algeria in 2010.

Wot else? He was surprisingly easy on Howard Webb, was very disappointed in Capello (in the way that a serious Italophile like Glanville could be), excoriated the Jabulani, and was very sympathetic to Dunga, especially in relation to the glorified athletic trainers who have managed Brazil in the past (eg Perreira).

Comment

World Cup books

Archie Macpherson's book on Scottish campaigns is very good, as is his autobiography. Taster: Ally Macleod claimed in 1994 that FIFA would have docked two points from Scotland as punishment for Willie Johnstone's drug use had they beaten Holland by 3 goals. Ernie Walker shared this belief. Both were wrong and Archie puts this down to post-78 trauma.

Archie also accuses the BBC of malice and maybe even racism towards Macleod and Scots fans after the Iran game. Revenge for Wembley 77 maybe.

Jimmy Hill's "toe poke" gets a mention.

Coleman abusing Jonathan Martin in front of witnesses in 1974; however, Martin was a patronizing dick towards the Scots.

Finally Archie seems to have had a history of depression that was worsened by the Ibrox disaster.

Comment

World Cup books

World Soccer has gone down the toilet, in my view, since Gavin Hamilton took over as editor. Keir Radnedge is a serious journalist who offers insight into the political workings of FIFA, but Hamilton is something of a lightweight by comparison.

The magazine is now templated, as far as I'm concerned, and lacks vitality as a result. I've given it up. It just doesn't justify the cover price in a world where multiple world leagues are now available on television and online. A bit like the modern World Cup, it has lost its mystique in an era of over-exposure.

Comment

World Cup books

I don't think I mentioned these in the thread I linked much earlier in this thread, but there are two others about the WC: David Bennie's Soccer Samurai, which I haven't read but is sitting in the pile. I mostly liked his Not Playing for Celtic. David Winner's book about WC 2006, Around the World in 90 Minutes wasn't very good, which was disappointing given the quality of Brilliant Orange. I assume the publisher was looking to cash in but the stories weren't developed enough (although the premise of flying around the world to watch matches with locals makes sense in the travel football writing genre).

Comment

World Cup books

When I started this thread I had actually genuinely forgotten I'd been vaguely commissioned to write this piece. But I did pick up a couple of good tips from this thread, so thanks for that, and it did push me to read a lot of good stuff I'd probably not have seen otherwise. I had Cris Freddi's updated book on the list too, but it's only available on Kindle, which Waterstone's is understandably not minded to publicise.

Comment

World Cup books

imp wrote: When I started this thread I had actually genuinely forgotten I'd been vaguely commissioned to write this piece.
                              Of course you did...

Comment

World Cup books

Okay, I just wanted you all to read the books for me and summarize them in 200 words, and you all fell for it, ha!

Comment

World Cup books

This one's a good read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Glory-Dark-History-World/dp/1905326807

Comment

World Cup books

shedders wrote: This one's a good read http://www.amazon.co.uk/Death-Glory-Dark-History-World/dp/1905326807
                                    Shit, that does look good - wish I'd known about it. Well, on some level I did know about it, because I've read every word of every WSC ever, so I must have read the review back in 2010. But then I clearly forgot about it. Too bad.

Comment

World Cup books

I'm adding this one here since I assume we'll revisit this thread in 2018. I just picked up Mark Perryman's collection about WC 2002 called Going Oriental. The title isn't so great, but the list of contributors looks good. I wasn't reading WSC in 2002 but I guess Perryman contributed a few articles to the magazine at that time.

I bought a used copy of the Minstream Sport edition but here is the only site that seems to have a more developed description.

Comment

Working...
                                      X