Teams that Surpassed or Fell Short of Expectations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teams that Surpassed or Fell Short of Expectations

These were the pre-tournament odds listed on the Sporting News website. I have added some comments

Country Odds Comments

Brazil 7/2 Odds were always too short given that they've gone out in the QF in their last three away WCs now.

Germany 4/1 Seemed reasonable at the time but obviously there was a rot at the heart of the squad

Spain 6/1 Doomed when the coach was sacked

France 6/1 Should have been favourites. It's "their" time. Best team of post-2014 era.

Argentina 9/1 Odds too short given historical failure in Europe, poor form in qualifiers, creaky defence, Mascherano, no Plan B

Belgium 10/1 Odds about right. The draw meant they had to beat Brazil and France just to make the final. Shaky defence. Martinez.

England 16/1 Exceeded expectations even though these odds were shorter than logic would have suggested at the time due to mug punters. Losing a dead game to Belgium paradoxically meant they went a round further than would otherwise have been the case because it's very unlikely they would have beaten Brazil in the QF that Belgium got.

Portugal 20/1 Generous odds for European champions until you consider that they had a weaker draw in 2016 than here

Colombia 33/1 Surpassed expectations until stupid tactics and bad temperament fucked up the winnable England game

Uruguay 33/1 Surpassed expectations with their quality of play. Unlucky to draw the champions-elect.

Croatia 33/1 Crazy that their odds were more than double England's. Odds set by a market with a poor grasp of history.

Russia 40/1 Odds were about right. Surpassed expectations but largely because Spain fucked up and Croatia almost fucked up

Poland 50/1 Most undeserved top seed (excepting the hosts) I can recall for a long time. Plodders.

Mexico 80/1 Exceeded expectations by defeating Germany but then fell into the old pattern of last 16 elimination

Denmark 80/1 Last 16, par performance on European soil.

Switzerland 80/1 Last 16, par performance on European soil.

Sweden 100/1 Got lucky because Germany's collapse meant they avoided Brazil last 16 exit

Nigeria 150/1 Would have predicted 4th in the group so almost getting through probably exceeded expectation

Egypt 150/1 Biggest flop of any non-European side compared to expectations. Couldn't even get a point off the Saudis.

Senegal 150/1 The African side that most impressed, in a group that turned out to be tougher than predicted.

Serbia 150/1 Shouldn't have been in Pot 4 but were still poor. Contrast with Croatia.

Japan 250/1 Exceeded expectations of everybody except some of those who studied the Asian qualifying tournament.

Morocco 250/1 I think they fell a bit short, even of these odds

Peru 200/1 Should have been able to take a point off Denmark. Disappointing.

Iceland 200/1 Got found out this time, or were simply past their peak.

Australia 400/1 Performance reflected their indifferent qualifying form

Costa Rica 400/1 Just way too negative. Very disappointing after 2014.

South Korea 500/1 Beating Germany obviously exceeded anybody's expectations, even after Germany lost to Mexico

Tunisia 500/1 Another plodder

Iran 500/1 Exceeded expectations and would have qualified from some groups.

Saudi Arabia 750/1 Bottom two deservedly

Panama 750/1 Worst team I have seen at the finals for a long time. Torrid canal hammering ( © Nishlord)
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2018, 20:21.

Who do you think should have been seeded ahead of Poland- Portugal?

Comment

Yes

Comment

Jesus, give me a few seconds here, I just went blind from the overwhelmingness.

Comment

So odds have no relation to real life and betting's a mug's game then?

Comment

Football has so many random events in it that I can't see how anyone would ever beat the bookies long-term. However, I have a friend who backed France and that always seemed more sensible than backing Brazil, which really is a mug's bet given the previous three tournaments.

Comment

Since 1998 Brazil have won 12 knockout round games, Germany 12 and France 11. A bet on either to win the tournament makes sense although Brazils odds are usually shortened by marketing issues.

I backed France at 6/1 but also Germany to Final and both Poland & Serbia to last 8

Comment

Serbia were not poor. They suffered from the draw as much as England benefitted: they gave Brazil a game and had the misfortune to face a hyper-motivated Swiss-Kosovar contingent.

Comment

Other than that overstatement, Satch’s assessment is spot on.

Comment

If England had drawn against Belgium and progressed on yellow cards I think Japan would have done them in the last 16.

Comment

Knockout Round Wins 1998-2018

Germany 12 / 16
                      Brazil 12 / 17
                      France 11 / 14
                      Netherlands 7 / 11
                      Argentina 6 / 11
                      Italy 5 / 7
                      Croatia 5 / 7
                      Spain 5 / 8
                      England 4 / 9
                      Belgium 3 / 6
                      Uruguay 3 / 6
                      Turkey 2 / 3
                      Korea 2 / 4
                      Portugal 2 / 5
                      Russia 1 / 2
                      Ukraine 1 / 2
                      Costa Rica 1 / 2
                      Senegal 1 / 2
                      Colombia 1 / 3
                      Ghana 1 / 3
                      Denmark 1 / 4
                      Sweden 1 / 4
                      America 1 / 4
                      Paraguay 1 / 4
                      Greece 0 / 1
                      Norway 0 / 1
                      R Ireland 0 / 1
                      Romania 0 / 1
                      Serbia 0 / 1
                      Slovakia 0 / 1
                      Ecuador 0 / 1
                      Algeria 0 / 1
                      Australia 0 / 1
                      Nigeria 0 / 2
                      Switzerland 0 / 3
                      Chile 0 / 3
                      Japan 0 / 3
                      Mexico 0 / 6

Comment

You need some 'recency' and home advantage adjustment. Only 5 of Brazil's 12 wins are post-2002 and two of those were at home.

The fact that Croatia's record was as good as England's coming into the tournament makes the odds even more perversely market skewed.

Comment

Recency (recentness?) is arbitrary. If I'd considered only the last 3 World Cups, Netherlands would have looked good- despite not making Europe's top 18 this time or slumping to 30th in the last Euros.

Brazil are consistent- quarter-final at least in the last 7 tournaments. That outweighs relative underperformance since 2006 and the semi final disaster last time.

Have you looked at foreign bookies' odds? They wont have had England so high. Croatia were reasonably a relative outsider- a previous good WC was 20 years ago and they'd won 1 knockout game in the last 8 tournaments. Struggled a bit in qualifying this time and all- less goals than NI and even Scotland

Comment

fewer

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              Panama 750/1 Worst team I have seen at the finals for a long time.
                              Worst since the Saudis in 2002, I'd wager.

Comment

Yes, and most thuggish minnow since even farther back.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                  fewer
                                  Fewer surely?

Comment

'Fewer, surely?' surely?

Comment

Phew, Shirley

Comment

Working...
                                      X